Base layers?

SHoug07

FNG
Time for some new base layers. I have been using minus 33 merino but thought about trying something new.
Looking for pros and cons of firstlite boot top vs full length. Also sitka vs firstlite or other recommendations and why?

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I have the first lite boot top and do not recommend boot top. After they shrink from washing and drying a couple times you are left with a 3"+ gap between top of boot and bottom of wool which is really noticeable in cold wind. Go full length. I have minus33 as well and don't notice any difference in wool quality or construction. Both are durable enough.

I used Minus33 for the past four years for both base and midlayer. This year I switched to a poly base from Beyond Clothing and their PCU levels 2 and 3. Going to experiment and see if the lighter poly is still as warm and tough.

I love the FL 150 weight boot top. If I were going heavier, I’d probably go full length for the added warmth. In the lightweight, it’s just not as important for me.

I’m sure they’re all good, but I only own FL of the ones you mentioned. They flat out make great merino/merino blend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SHoug07

SHoug07

FNG
I love the FL 150 weight boot top. If I were going heavier, I’d probably go full length for the added warmth. In the lightweight, it’s just not as important for me.

I’m sure they’re all good, but I only own FL of the ones you mentioned. They flat out make great merino/merino blend.

Open to others also just wondered if something else is worth a try. I should maybe add they would be used on backpack hunts, so something that doesn't start to stink to bad would be a plus.
I really enjoy my Kuiu 145 zip off base layer bottoms. The convenience of being able to take them on and off without taking off my boots is fantastic.
I really enjoy the zip off of the peloton bottoms I have. How does the zipper on the leg feel in the base layer? My merino neck gaiter from kuiu has a strong odor so I have been sceptical of buying more of their it.

Last edited:
Kuiu Merino 145 is about as good as it gets. With any other non zip off bottom you either end up cold because you don’t want to put them on or you end up too hot sweating and wet because you don’t want to take them off. Mine haven’t ever smelled when wearing on and off 4-6 days. Usually sleeping in them at a minimum and wearing early and late under my pants.

Now for tops. Kuiu Merino works just fine but there is truly something different and better about the first lite wick 150. I wear the shirt sleeve then various synthetic layers over the top depending on conditions. That shirt stays soft a long time, doesn’t smell and dries faster for me than ultra merino

Open to others also just wondered if something else is worth a try. I should maybe add they would be used on backpack hunts, so something that doesn't start to stink to bad would be a plus.

I’m I. The process of writing a review of Ridge Merino 180 series merino boxers. I’m enjoying that product, but it also comes in 3/4 and full length baselayer versions. Choose a weight based on the season/expected temperatures of your backpacking hunt, with respect to your full layering system. FL is top shelf though.

Choose a weight based on the season/expected temperatures of your backpacking hunt, with respect to your full layering system. FL is top shelf though.

I’ve been known to wear two FL 150 series layers when temperatures drop. This gives me more versatility in my gear. In stead of buying a 150 and a 250, I’ll buy two 150s which I get fat mor use out of where I hunt. Later in the season, I double it up. You could alternate the 150s to prolong their freshness and wear both if the temps drop. Or, hunt in one and sleep in one. Get my thought process?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've used FL, KUIU, Minus 33, Icebreaker, Red Ram, Core 4, Russell, Patagonia, and original Cabela's merino base layers. As long as they're all similar lightweight, they're all about the same as far as performance. But the KUIU really did smell like a chemical wet sheep when it gets wet, along with most of the other camo versions I've tried. Haven't had an issue outside of KUIU with solid colors.

For every season where I'm on the move constantly, I wear my lightweight merino top and bottoms 24/7. I've sold pretty much everything except the Icebreaker and Minus 33.

Brendan

WKR
Kuiu zip off bottoms and their Kenai are the only two pieces of gear I've kept.... Both really are that good.

The bottoms really are a game changer, because in the early season I'll go from needing them and being cold, to sweating my butt off. And being able to take them off/on without removing boots and gaiters makes the difference.

OP
SHoug07

SHoug07

FNG
I've used FL, KUIU, Minus 33, Icebreaker, Red Ram, Core 4, Russell, Patagonia, and original Cabela's merino base layers. As long as they're all similar lightweight, they're all about the same as far as performance. But the KUIU really did smell like a chemical wet sheep when it gets wet, along with most of the other camo versions I've tried. Haven't had an issue outside of KUIU with solid colors.

For every season where I'm on the move constantly, I wear my lightweight merino top and bottoms 24/7. I've sold pretty much everything except the Icebreaker and Minus 33.
The camo print neck gaiter is the only merino I have from them this far. Good to know the solid colors don't smell the same.

Totoro

WKR
I've used Ibex, FL, Icebreaker, M33 and WoolX with no complaints.

The WoolX does come in 400 weight for those stoopid cold days.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The camo print neck gaiter is the only merino I have from them this far. Good to know the solid colors don't smell the same.

With KUIU, all of theirs stunk pretty badly including their solid colors. But other companies camo has also stunk, but their solids have been fine.

I like Smartwool as a baselayer. More durable than Firstlite.

I do like the Firstlite for early archery when my baselayer is also my outerlayer.

bradb

WKR
I ordered 2 pair of boot top and i think they suck! 1 is going back. Can't work the one i wore, the ride up over my knee.

OP
SHoug07

SHoug07

FNG
Thanks for the feedback so far. Sounds like I will stay away from the boot cut bottoms. I like the thought of the zipoff bottoms but wasnt sure about the leg zipper pulling on the hair. I guess I will see what is in stock or on sale between now and September.

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
I loved the first lite llano, but they quit making it. I have some of the older aero wool. It’s OK, but has a slight wet dog smell when wet.

I just ordered the light weight Kuiu wool hoody. I haven’t had it out yet. Seems pretty nice.