Base layer system

Samwise

FNG
OK, so I'm looking for a 1/4 to 1/2 zip synthetic Base layer and a 1/4 to 1/2 zip marino wool base layer 150g with a hood. I have been using an older scent blocker under armour for the synthetic layer then I stack it with the kuiu light weight marino wool layer when it gets cooler or I stop moving before I start putting on other layers. I am looking for something that is light weight and tight to my skin so the synthetic material will keep me dry or atleast dry out quickly so the marino will stay dry. The marino I also want tight to my skin to help as an insulating layer and to hold in more body heat. Everything I find on the market these days in light weight garments seem to be baggy which makes no since to me as a Base layer. I found some marino wool base layers in non hunting companies that are tight but they all have no hoods. Aby recommendations would be helpful

I like these hoodies as my base layer, or I might wear a short sleeve synthetic or merino shirt underneath. The fit is as you describe, close fitting, not baggy.

grfox92

WKR
I wouldn't wear any synthetics as a base layer. Merino will dry faster and stay drier then any synthetic and won't stink. Black Ovis merino hood is skin tight.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

I take a bit of a different line than @grfox92 and find that merino feels clammy against my skin and prefer synthetic as a next to skin layer. Opinions vary on this point so I think you have to play with it and see what works for you. I have had best luck with patagonia and Sitka base layers. Sitka is probably my favorite. I tried out some kuiu peleton 97 tops and bottoms last year and was really impressed with warmth for the amount of weight.

I’m also a synthetics guy, but used merino for a number of years. I just grew tired of it falling apart after a couple of seasons.

sr80

WKR
I wouldn't wear any synthetics as a base layer. Merino will dry faster and stay drier then any synthetic and won't stink. Black Ovis merino hood is skin tight.

synthetic dries way faster than merino, that is the pro of synthetics vs merino.

Joe L

FNG
I like the merino base layers. They keep you cool when its hot and warm when its cold. They also do not stink like the synthetic base layers do. Try the wick quarte zip by First lite.

grfox92

WKR
synthetic dries way faster than merino, that is the pro of synthetics vs merino.
That might be the case. But all I know is in my personal experience there is nothing worse or more uncomfortable than sweat soaked synthetics. It feels cold in the wind, where merino retains heat and continues to be warm when wet.

I wore synthetic this archery season and it stayed wet all day, I could feel it when the wind blew and hit my skin. I've never had that with merino. Just my personal experience.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
That might be the case. But all I know is in my personal experience there is nothing worse or more uncomfortable than sweat soaked synthetics. It feels cold in the wind, where merino retains heat and continues to be warm when wet.

I wore synthetic this archery season and it stayed wet all day, I could feel it when the wind blew and hit my skin. I've never had that with merino. Just my personal experience.

So, apples to apples synthetic will dry faster meaning the same amount of liquid to totally dry. What I think you are experiencing is that wool will pull small amounts of moisture to its core and feel dryer.