Basic single layer unpadded scabbard?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was going to make up a quick butt stock support for the bottom corner of my pack for when I strap a rifle onto the pack but my mind drifted slightly and I wondered about a quick/basic scabbard. I have some thicker material (I believe 1000d, either way its stiffer) that I was thinking might work decent for a single layer unpadded scabbard that I think would hold its shape decently. Since my pack has PALS at the bottom I was thinking put two slides near the scabbard bottom to support it vertically and then some webbing pass through slots on the inside face to run my side straps through.

Anyone envision any flaw in the idea off hand? Main one that comes to mind for me is the top strap I'd only be able to tuck through one side of the pass through slots so I could still flap the scabbard away from the bag to tighten down the lid strap (or wrap that top strap around the outside of the scabbard leaving the inside access to the lid strap unimpeded.

Ignore my typo, need more coffee... :p
EC3E73E6-F548-45A8-9A06-6980E03F12F8_zpsk0i1oyj4.jpg

5187D5BC-14E3-4F18-A1D2-A7E69FC41C68_zpsa9ltqz23.jpg

Pods, double/triple layer the bottom/muzzle end in such a way that the muzzle doesn't pock directly into a seam. Also might not hurt to incorporate a little U of frame sheet between layers to further protect muzzle and seam. When you take off the pack it seems the muzzle end always takes abuse. Just sharing observations I've seen with other pack scabbards I've used.
Hunt'nFish

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I knocked one out over the weekend, still messing with it though. The upper strap needs to go around the outside to keep the rifle from being sloppy since its not a stiff scabbard, I was still able to pull the rifle out though.

Should work well enough. Any particular reason to not just employ the pocket style that everyone else uses?

Not sure what you're referring to, I was just talking about a top loading pocket.

mmw194287

WKR
I knocked one out over the weekend, still messing with it though. The upper strap needs to go around the outside to keep the rifle from being sloppy since its not a stiff scabbard, I was still able to pull the rifle out though.

Not sure what you're referring to, I was just talking about a top loading pocket.

Pods, I'm curious how the scabbard turned out/worked for you this season? Any changes in thinking after having a chance to use it in the field? I'm really interested in designing something similar to run on my SG frame with one of the smaller bags.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Never bothered to use it, packed my rifle on the side of my pack with a simple web bucket on the bottom and the rest of the time I use a boonie packer safari sling (I'll tuck the rifle behind my left shoulder as a righty shooter with it when hiking hard).