Battle of the 7's - 7mm-08 vs. .284 Win vs. 7x57

The waiting is going to kill me...

I already have a 7mm-08 Savage LW Storm that shoots lights-out.

I'm building a .284 Win on a long LW Storm action, and a 7x57 on a classic Savage 110 long action. Just waiting on the barrels now. I can't wait to put these three through their paces. It's going to be a fun off-season!

Any guesses now on what the difference in velocity will be between them?

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    401.7 KB · Views: 129
Looks like you have a problem with 7mms.

I've got a 7mm08 Tikka for my kids. It's accurate, but super boring for some reason.

I have my hunting rifle out right now to be rebarreled to a 30-284. I'm really digging the 284 case!

If I were to buy a 7mm gun for myself, it'd be a long throated 284

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Looks like you have a problem with 7mms.

I've got a 7mm08 Tikka for my kids. It's accurate, but super boring for some reason.

I have my hunting rifle out right now to be rebarreled to a 30-284. I'm really digging the 284 case!

If I were to buy a 7mm gun for myself, it'd be a long throated 284
I do have an affinity for 7's. It started with a lifelong interest in the 7x57 Mauser, because of it's history and how far ahead of it's time it was. Rare to find a cartridge that has both qualities. But then the 7mm-08 became the more practical 7 for obvious reasons, and I needed to have a .284 Win just because. :D

My .284 win is being built with the "MAP" reamer, so it will handle long bullets. My guess is I'll end up with 160's around 3.15-3.2" in my long action. That way they won't take up any powder space. Some would say just get a .280 Rem (which I've also owned) or a .280ai (which I considered) but from everything I've read, the .284 Win is what I've been searching for.

If all goes well, the 7x57 build will be my eastern whitetail rifle, and the .284 Win in the LW Storm action and stock, will be my western rifle.

Oh, you're right about the Tikkas being super boring. I had a tack driver Tikka 7mm-08 for a couple years (yawn) and my buddy just had to own it, so now he does. I don't miss it. I never could get on with that closed top action for some weird reason. Always reminded me of a Savage Axis, which I rather loathe.

A 30-.284 sounds like a very interesting round. Like a shorter '06 but more efficient. Should be sweet.

I do have an affinity for 7's. It started with a lifelong interest in the 7x57 Mauser, because of it's history and how far ahead of it's time it was. Rare to find a cartridge that has both qualities. But then the 7mm-08 became the more practical 7 for obvious reasons, and I needed to have a .284 Win just because. :D

My .284 win is being built with the "MAP" reamer, so it will handle long bullets. My guess is I'll end up with 160's around 3.15-3.2" in my long action. That way they won't take up any powder space. Some would say just get a .280 Rem (which I've also owned) or a .280ai (which I considered) but from everything I've read, the .284 Win is what I've been searching for.

If all goes well, the 7x57 build will be my eastern whitetail rifle, and the .284 Win in the LW Storm action and stock, will be my western rifle.

Oh, you're right about the Tikkas being super boring. I had a tack driver Tikka 7mm-08 for a couple years (yawn) and my buddy just had to own it, so now he does. I don't miss it. I never could get on with that closed top action for some weird reason. Always reminded me of a Savage Axis, which I rather loathe.

A 30-.284 sounds like a very interesting round. Like a shorter '06 but more efficient. Should be sweet.
What's a MAP reamer?

Yes the short '06 is what I was actually after with this project. The gun being turned into the 30-284 was a Tikka '06. It shot great and I loved it. I even had it prettied up with a bedded gray laminate stock, new bottom metal, and all small parts cerakited to match the SS. But I was wanting to use longish 200gr bullets without eating up powder space. Not happening in a Tikka mag. Thus, the 30-284. It should have equal ballistics.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
What's a MAP reamer?

Yes the short '06 is what I was actually after with this project. The gun being turned into the 30-284 was a Tikka '06. It shot great and I loved it. I even had it prettied up with a bedded gray laminate stock, new bottom metal, and all small parts cerakited to match the SS. But I was wanting to use longish 200gr bullets without eating up powder space. Not happening in a Tikka mag. Thus, the 30-284. It should have equal ballistics.
I had to ask too. It's a reamer with a long throat is all. Designed for seating 160+ grainers out to the lands without taking up any unnecessary powder space.

McGowan offers the standard .284 Win reamer for 2.800" short actions, and the MAP reamer if you want to build a .284 Win in a long action.

OP
Newtosavage
Sounds like a fun project! The 284 will likely be the fastest, with the 7-08 and 7x57 a toss up. Regardless, all are great rounds!
I'm going go guess the .284 Win will be 150 fps. ahead of the 7mm-08 and 100 fps. ahead of the 7x57 when it's all said and done. But we'll see. Too many variables to know yet.

OP
Newtosavage
Should’ve thrown the 7 SAUM into the mix.
I didn't want to go magnum bolt face. And it's more than I need for my purposes. I eventually decided the .280ai is actually more than I need as well. That .284 Win with 160's will still be comfortable to shoot all day, and capable of taking down anything I plan to hunt at a distance I'm willing to shoot.

homers

WKR
Too many variables to accurately predict but a fun project non the less. I'm partial to 7x57's.

rayporter

WKR
i always regretted not building my first rifle in 284. and then i got one off my bud. he had over 200 rds loaded up for it and i would shoot a plate at 460yds all the time. compared to any thing my sixes shot or the 6.5x284 it did not do welll. i called it a paint chipper
i wore out the barrel and it is now a 6mm Remington. shooting 108s it leaves divots in that same plate.

yea i probably should have tried more bullets but when ya got a bunch ready to shoot you choot em

OP
Newtosavage
i always regretted not building my first rifle in 284. and then i got one off my bud. he had over 200 rds loaded up for it and i would shoot a plate at 460yds all the time. compared to any thing my sixes shot or the 6.5x284 it did not do welll. i called it a paint chipper
i wore out the barrel and it is now a 6mm Remington. shooting 108s it leaves divots in that same plate.

yea i probably should have tried more bullets but when ya got a bunch ready to shoot you choot em
From everything I know, this long throated .284 should be the ticket. I can easily handle more recoil than my 7mm-08, but an '06 in a 5.5 lb. rifle with 165/168's is about the top of my tolerance for long range sessions, and disappointingly inefficient - especially with lower bc monos. I'm planning to run 145 grain LRX's up around 3K. At least, I hope to.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
You need a long action magnum 7mm like a STW, RUM or 7-300 Winchester I suppose the vanilla 7mm Rem Mag is worthy of consideration. In fact it is arguably my favorite 7mm cartridge and I have a soft sot for most of them.