Bear hunting with rifle shot placement

Going on my first beer hunt this fall in Colorado. Using a 6.5 creedmoor and hopefully shooting a bear 200 yards or closer.

I have seen many different pieces of information in regards to where to shoot the bear. I’ve heard shoot the “middle of the middle”, shoot it like a deer through both shoulders, aim for the crease?

With a bow I know to aim a little back but with a gun are you better off to shoo through the shoulders?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLam

FNG
I would suggest for black bear no need to shoot through shoulders. That is typically advised for grizzly in order to anchor them.

dtrkyman

WKR

tdot

WKR
I wouldn't expect an anchoring shoulder shot with any 6.5cm to work that well. I've tried it a few times with my 260Rem and was never impressed. Its much more effective with larger, heavier calibers.

The problem with an anchoring shot, is if you dont drop them right there and they make it into cover, they may not die and you wont know. Now you may have a pissed off wounded bear to find and they will head for the thickest brush possible.

I'm a big fan of my first shot being a kill shot, the follow-up can be an anchor. I like just forward of the middle of the middle. There is room for error and you'll still end up with a dead bear. Yes they may end up running 75 yards (most wont), but they will be dead.

I'd select a bullet that will exit, It's hard enough tracking a bear, might as well keep the blood flowing as much as possible and an exit is the best way to do that.

Last edited:

hodgeman

WKR
Aim for the crease just behind the shoulder. Just like everything else.

If he's quartering away, a little further back won't hurt.

Keep shooting until he quits moving, bears tend to be quite a bit more determined to live than deer are.

Onski316

FNG
Good info. Going to be doing an archery hunt later this year and needed to read up on this myself.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
We are archers and most bears we have lost have been hit on the crease with what would be a perfect shot for ungulates! After reading and researching I aim 4-6 inches behind the shoulder and have yet to have a bear go 30 yards with archery gear. If you are taking out shoulders you are in front of a bears vitals. The above article is great...they are the bear experts and they tell you to stay away from the shoulder! My video from last year shows a perfect heart shot. The bounds 10 yards and dead before it could death moan. Kicking myself for not showing a pic of the heart because every target with vitals shown on it is too far forward. My buddy lost his best bear ever after I told him to aim back...he listens to me now.

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
with that cartridge,behind shoulder in crease area.i always like when hunting bear of any type,behind shoulder aiming to hit off shoulder.good luck,guess im old school and in my experience over 45 years,i like a larger caliber.

amassi

WKR
Going on my first beer hunt this fall in Colorado. Using a 6.5 creedmoor and hopefully shooting a bear 200 yards or closer.

I have seen many different pieces of information in regards to where to shoot the bear. I’ve heard shoot the “middle of the middle”, shoot it like a deer through both shoulders, aim for the crease?

With a bow I know to aim a little back but with a gun are you better off to shoo through the shoulders?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bears aren't nearly as tough as people make them out to be. This myth of toughness comes directly from shooting shoulders.
1-Don't shoot their shoulders there's no vitals there. Made that mistake many times they are quite hard to kill when you "anchor" both shoulders and do little damage to their vitals. They also don't hemorage a bunch from shoulders shots due to the coat and fat.

2-Shoot them in the vitals with a fragmenting bullet and they die really quick. Bonded or copper bullets are less effective at this
After you kill your bear examine how it's built and how fragile their vitals are

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

jangst98

FNG
Where exactly are the bears vitals located? Ive heard they are farther back than a deers. If I aim at one like a deer will it still hit vitals?

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
As an example for shooting mid body. I just shot a bear at 400 yards broadside. Placed the bullet middle of body. Shooting a 270wsm with 140gr Berger VLD bullets. Bear rolled over and died before it stopped rolling down the hill. Left a 2-3” hole on the exit side with tons of blood to follow. I am a believer in the mid body shot

Agreed with these middle of the middle and a few inches back from the crease comments. I lost a bear last spring that I believe I hit forward and last week just watched a buddy shoot a bear through the shoulder that didn't catch vitals. Broke legs and was only 60 yards away, so he was able to keep shooting, but still was a bummer not to have a clean kill. He lost 3/4 a front shoulder of meat from it, too.

Granted I believe this here is a sow, this "X" is about where I'd put it.

Attachments

• IMG_5107.jpg
    IMG_5107.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 76

texjitter

Lil-Rokslider
I shot my first bear in Montana this year at 110 yards with a 300 WM (Barnes TTSX 180) and had to make a conscious effort to put the crosshairs further back instead of where I would normally aim for deer. The bear was DRT with a "middle of the middle" shot

Up and down, I like mid body, left to right I aim between the crease and mid body (4ish” behind the crease on broadside shot)

I’m packing the “gender bender” (6.5cm) for bear as well this year (right now actually)

Attachments

• 3CBEFDB7-E638-4A28-9B04-6F2642DA0ADA.jpeg
    3CBEFDB7-E638-4A28-9B04-6F2642DA0ADA.jpeg
    744.1 KB · Views: 85

amassi

WKR
Up and down, I like mid body, left to right I aim between the crease and mid body (4ish” behind the crease on broadside shot)

I’m packing the “gender bender” (6.5cm) for bear as well this year (right now actually)
A leupold and a cm, you sir Like to love dangerously

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
On my bear a few days ago I had a steep downhill shot at about 80 yards, he was quartering away and looking at me because I made a noise to stop him. Bullet entered a few inches behind shoulder crease and exited right on the crease on the other side. He went down in 5 yards and death moaned, very little meat damage and destroyed his lungs and heart. Good shot to take.