Beaten Path - Beartooth Mountains

I will be taking the beaten path in one week and wanted to see if anyone has done the trail within the last few weeks. If so, I was looking for snow/conditions update and if you fished, would you be willing to share what the fish were biting on? We will be spin fishing and bringing some worms as well. Any updates or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TBoschma

Lil-Rokslider
hey just saw this I am headed out this weekend how did your trip go? catch many fish?

Looks like a cool trip, how long do you spend on something like that and how did you do the vehicle jockeying?

OP
MountainTr3kker
Looks like a cool trip, how long do you spend on something like that and how did you do the vehicle jockeying?
We did the trail for 4 days 3 nights. Could have done it in 3 days but this gave us plenty of time to fish and relax. I had my wife drop us off and pick us up so that was a huge advantage. I would like to do it again

ewade07

WKR
We did the trail for 4 days 3 nights. Could have done it in 3 days but this gave us plenty of time to fish and relax. I had my wife drop us off and pick us up so that was a huge advantage. I would like to do it again
How were the bugs this year? Any snow left up high?

OP
MountainTr3kker
We followed some rain so mosquitos chewed us up pretty good the first day. There was a little snow at fossil lake but that was it. Im glad we went as early as we did

Tall Pine

FNG
Holy cow that is gorgeous countryside. Just Googled more about it and am blown away. I will have to make it to that neck of the woods someday.
Thanks for sharing

OP
MountainTr3kker
20210706_134433.jpgIve been tracking all my hikes using OnX so hopefully in a few years the beartooths are covered on my map. Its my favorite place.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to patrol that area, we would sometimes do it in a day- but it's too nice of country if you have more time :D

Vq6ilE1.jpg

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
Hiked it in one day last year with the BIL, north to south. We were going to take a day rest and then hike it back in one day again. BIL was hurting (I was fine of course ) so we found a shuttle out of Billings to get us back to the vehicle. Super fun but those last few miles just never seemed to end. The lady running the cabin we stayed at said she had a couple women in a few days before us that ran the trail down and back in two days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
shuttle is definitely a pain; it wasn't too bad for us as we were getting paid :D. we also got to use a Forest Service cabin the night prior (after a BIG feed in Cooke)

back to back days would be a good test for sure!