Becker BK2 users

Mudd Foot

WKR
SHTF,

The BK2 is a great knife! The 1095 CroVan is a favorite as its easy to sharpen, tough, and wonderful all-round bushcrafter's steel. Ethan really understands blade geometry, and the knife is a beast in thickness. Lots of guys (myself included) re-profile the blade both with the drop point belly and in convexing the edge. Part of this is simply the fun of doing it. At 1/8 inches thick it is a survivalist's dream, as it can be as much a pry bar or chopper/batoner, as a feather stick shaver. I liked it so much that I bought it's little brother the BK16. IMHO, the BK2 is too heavy for hunting applications, and at 16 oz. was also too heavy to carry on backpacking treks.

That said, the BK16 IMHO is almost perfect for both. It's a shade bulky for certain hunting applications when the Havalons are around, but it has a great geometry, grind, and size. In terms of bushcrafting, it may be the perfect blade given its ability to perform almost any task asked of it, and ease of sharpening in the field.

Hope this helps,

Mudd Foot

chorpie

FNG
I had both a BK-2 and a BK-16. The BK-2 was way too thick for me to do any fine tasks with. It can sure take a beating though. That comes at added weight though. the BK-16 handle felt a little small in my hand, and i've got pretty small hands.

For now, i've been using an ESEE-4. It's not stainless, but if you're using your knife, you don't need to worry about rust as use will keep the blade rust free. And you can't beat the ESEE warranty, if it breaks, they'll replace it. Regardless of whether you were the original owner, or were doing something stupid with it.