Off Season to Become Better Hunter

WCB

WKR
Trapping by far helped me tune my skills for hunting. With prices in the toilet the last handful of years I haven't done it but caught a couple Beavers last spring and got some traps out for muskrat trapping and might go after some Mink, Fisher, and maybe some weasels just to get out this winter and tune in the skills.

It is amazing how even muskrat trapping can develop some skills for big game hunting. Inside/outside corners, obvious route vs. hidden routes. Even weather patterns can make the trap line hot and cold and IMO directly correlates to other animals movements.

Other than that I eat more and get lazy.

Zach75

FNG
My goal for this year is it get in a lot more practice shooting my bow uphill and downhill, not just flat ground practice.

I ran the hills tonight in the rain when I got home from work. Also just got a Rogue half rack for the garage which has been nice. I will get back to not sucking wind while hunting, it’s so much more enjoyable. My plan is to run the hill/lift 3-5 days a week.

I like to ponder the things I could have done better during the previous season and seasons before. Usually my answer is preparation, practice, and patience and thinking how I could have done better. So not just an exercise I do over the offseason, but something I do all the time. Which is exhausting, I guess. Ha! But it helps me picture the things I need to do to execute going forward.