Beginner Looking for Day Pack

NDGuy

WKR
Hi All,

I’m new to the forum and have started building my gear inventory to handle the upcoming
hunts I have planned. Next on my list is a pack. I initially was looking at more of the midline budget packs such as Badlands, Tenzing, and Eberlestock but I tried on a few of them and am worried they won’t work for me. The Eberlestock and Badlands in particular I noticed right away were not going to carry weight well.

I recently started looking at a few other brands such as Mystery Ranch, Horn Hunter and Seek Outside. Unfortunately none of the retailers near me carry any of these packs to try on. Scheels I believe is getting in a bunch of MR packs but not until summer or early fall. The MR product line intrigues me because they seem really well built and are a nice budget compromise between buying an Eberlestock or a Kifaru.

Have any of you used the Metcalf or Cabinet in particular? I like the look and the capacity with it but just curious on how you all like it. Also I've heard their new guide light frame is not as good as their old NICE frame. Any comments on that? I mean is it not as good as in an 8 versus a 10? Or more like a 6 vs an 8-9?

Next question would be have any of you used the Horn Hunter Full Curl System? One thing I saw that concerned me is the backpack straps looked thin as hell. Does it carry weight well? Maybe was just the video but definitely curious.

Anyone have experience with the Seek Outside Packs? Revo vs Unaweep?

Some notes about me and the use:

-I want something that I can use for a day trip since most of my hunting will be truck camping and walking in a couple miles into a hunting area.

-I am 5' 6" 170 lbs and plan on losing another 10lbs give or take by the time I am hunting next fall.

-Torso length is 18in and 34 waist size.

-Want something that can fit at least a quarter of a mule deer/antelope. I plan on elk hunting in the future but won’t be for a few years at least.

Otherwise please let me know if you have any other comments on other brands/models.

Thanks all!

LOTS of information on here about these topics, use the "search forum" function in the gray bar at the top of the page.
No experience with MR packs. I'd be willing to bet that the MR packs that will be carried at Scheels will be the new packs that are made on the far side of the Pacific. MR definitely doesn't get the love that Kifaru, Stone Glacier and Exo get here, and I think it's largely due to their frame design. I have read good things about the Seek Outside (Paradox) packs, but no experience. Horn Hunter packs (I just sold mine) are well made, and in the USA. They can be a great lower budget option. Keep your eyes on the Rokslide classifieds and you can find great deals on lightly used packs and gear.

Last edited:

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not a lot of experience with the MR's. I had the Dragon Slayer for a while.. no real frame in it but ok for day stuff in and out of the vehicle. I didn't like the bag layout though.. no way to attach other pockets and such.

Keep a look out on the classifieds for deals on packs. May be able to pick up a Kifaru or Exo at a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Not a lot of experience with the MR's. I had the Dragon Slayer for a while.. no real frame in it but ok for day stuff in and out of the vehicle. I didn't like the bag layout though.. no way to attach other pockets and such.

Keep a look out on the classifieds for deals on packs. May be able to pick up a Kifaru or Exo at a good price.

My worry with that is I am a bit uncomfortable buying a backpack I have never tried on, and being that some of these brands do not carry in any stores I am kind of SOL for trying them on before purchasing. I would hate to buy something used and it not fit right with nowhere to return it.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
LOTS of information on here about these topics, use the "search forum" function in the gray bar at the top of the page.
No experience with MR packs. I'd be willing to bet that the MR packs that will be carried at Scheels will be the new packs that are made on the far side of the Pacific. MR definitely doesn't get the love that Kifaru, Stone Glacier and Exo get here, and I think it's largely due to their frame design. I have read good things about the Seek Outside (Paradox) packs, but no experience. Horn Hunter packs (I just sold mine) are well made, and in the USA. They can be a great lower budget option. Keep your eyes on the Rokslide classifieds and you can find great deals on lightly used packs and gear.

I have searched but it is sometimes good to get new info and apply my own personal situation. I understand what you are saying tho!

Like I replied to Budd, I am uncomfortable forking over $350+ for something I have never tried on. If I knew I wanted a certain pack I would for sure check the classifieds tho. Or maybe I can get lucky and find someone living near me that would let me try them on first.

How did you like the Horn Hunter? Can you elaborate a bit on what you liked/disliked? The straps seemed super thin in the review video on their website but I definitely like the pricepoint for what you get! Just concerned if it would carry 40+ lbs well.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like I replied to Budd, I am uncomfortable forking over $350+ for something I have never tried on. If I knew I wanted a certain pack I would for sure check the classifieds tho. Or maybe I can get lucky and find someone living near me that would let me try them on first.

We totally get that for sure! Most of the higher end packs that have been listed can be adjusted to your torso, and have different belt sizes so you can fit them to you. Some other packs like Tenzing your just not going to get that option. So you can adjust your shoulder strap length to fit you and you can adjust or buy another hip belt that will fit you. I wouldn't be as worried about the fit with the higher end packs that can be adjusted if I were you. Where as a Tenzing badlands, etc just won't be able to be versatile like that.

ScottinPA

WKR
NDGuy - did the same as you last year, hunt out of the truck. I used a MR Longbow and it worked good for that purpose. The Pintler is MR's latest version of that I think. I'm 5'-6" and 180 with 32 waist for reference and a medium yoke and small belt worked. I sold that because I'm going full-on pack in hunt next time. Have a Duplex ordered and am looking at bag options.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
NDGuy - did the same as you last year, hunt out of the truck. I used a MR Longbow and it worked good for that purpose. The Pintler is MR's latest version of that I think. I'm 5'-6" and 180 with 32 waist for reference and a medium yoke and small belt worked. I sold that because I'm going full-on pack in hunt next time. Have a Duplex ordered and am looking at bag options.

Ya I get the feeling Kifaru is going to be the recommendation from most on here. I just don't know about spending $700+ on a pack, almost seems to be too much for what I am going to be doing. I am a few years away from doing full on backpack hunts so not sure if that investment would be worth it right now where I can pay half as much for something to get the job done until I can hunt out West more often.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ya I get the feeling Kifaru is going to be the recommendation from most on here. I just don't know about spending $700+ on a pack, almost seems to be too much for what I am going to be doing.

You can find kifaru for less going used, or even if you just buy the frame new then a used bag you can be near $500 total. That would be about $200 over a Badlands for example. So now you only spend an extra $200 to make that leap. I've seen various brand bags and frames on here work together so that is almost a limitless option.

In regards to the shoulder straps on the Horn Hunter, or any pack for that matter, if it is a quality pack/frame and the pack is set up properly, the only thing the shoulder straps are really going to do is keep the pack against my back. The shoulder straps will be carrying a very small percentage of the total pack weight.

Akicita

WKR
Some notes about me and the use:

-I want something that I can use for a day trip since most of my hunting will be truck camping and walking in a couple miles into a hunting area.

-I am 5' 6" 170 lbs and plan on losing another 10lbs give or take by the time I am hunting next fall.

-Torso length is 18in and 34 waist size.

-Want something that can fit at least a quarter of a mule deer/antelope. I plan on elk hunting in the future but won’t be for a few years at least.

Otherwise please let me know if you have any other comments on other brands/models.

Thanks all!

If you have a Scheels close by go try the Osprey Atmos or North Face Terra. . . Not quite hunting specific or ideal for Elk but it would make you a great pack based on your immediate needs. My son has packed a bunch of Muley quarters in his Atmos as well as hundreds of light and fast overnight load outs. You can usually find lightly used ones for $125 to $150

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
FYI - MR Longbow just came into the classifieds at a good price if you're interested.

How does the Longbow fit in their current lineup? People like it more than the Pintler?