Beginner Reloading Kit

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
This might be a long one, so bear with me a little bit if you will. I'm interested in getting into reloading because I've been cursed with the bug for odd cartridges and would like to develop different loads for different purposes in the same cartridge, or at least not pay $5/round for general purpose hunting loads. I've read quite a bit about reloading but certainly don't know that much and don't really have a mentor, so I think my best bet is to buy a kit to start with, learn the basics, and then upgrade parts and pieces from there. So my first question is if any of you would recommend any kits over others? I have been leaning towards the Hornady deluxe kit for a few reasons. First, my father and I own a healthy collection of firearms in various calibers, so the Hornady lock-n-load system seems like it would be very nice for changing between cartridges a lot. However, I'm not experienced enough to know if this system is actually any better than any other brand or if it is mostly just a gimmick to catch uninformed newbies like myself. So my next question is if this system is a worthwhile consideration? Second, many of the local stores in my area carry Hornady dies and such, so I think it might be easier to acquire parts for the Hornady system. I do know though that many presses can interchange die brands, so I again would like to know if this is a worthwhile consideration. Lastly, if everything I just typed up is complete nonsense, what would you all recommend to get started instead? Thanks in advance, I think I'm about to learn a lot in this thread.
I’ve upgraded over the years and spent tons on the best equipment available. If I were to do it again I’d buy a Redding t7 press, Frankfort arsenal auto powder dispenser, mitatoyo calipers, rcbs bench priming tool, Redding master hunter dies, and Sinclair comparator and inserts. Upgrading equipment from there does net some gain, but it’s not enough to justify the price imo for hunting.