Best 10mm Hollow Point

treillw

WKR
What hollow point would you shoot out of your 10mm for humanoid self defense?

How about what would you alternate with hard cast for backcountry four legged defense? Any options that would retain a little more mass to penetrate deeper? Most hollow points for defense against two legged critters are specifically designed to break apart and not over penetrate inside buildings etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Man - the 10mm is one hell of a round. For human only defense, pretty much any hollow point manufactured by a reputable ammo company is going to F someone up in a big way.

Federal HST is top shelf ammo if you are looking for something specific.

Rob5589

WKR
When I researched, the XTP was always recommended. Like Steve said, a hot 10 is going to ruin someone's day, regardless of brand.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
Speer makes a 200gr gold dot, federal has a 200gr HST loading.

Both of these are designed around the 10mm velocities and aren't a .40 s&w projectile driven faster than it was designed.

I would look into them for defense against 2 legged predators.

Xtps in all flavors have never done me wrong. Saved my butt as well on a halfwit bear, but i think any 180 at those velocities would have done a comendable job of changing hearts and minds.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Is 180 grain the most common two legged defense bullet weight? I'm using 200 grain hardcast and see that they also make 200 grain hollow points. Might be nice to keep the bullet weight the same to have the same/very similar trajectory - but at the same time, I don't think that will matter too much for the distances that are likely.

200 grainers also might be a little better to stagger with hardcast for woods defense??

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Last time I researched self defense hollow points was probably 15 years ago. I decided on Gold Dots. Are they still top shelf, or have better things come along?

HST newer?

I believe the gold dot was used by most police agencies.

Rob5589

WKR
Last time I researched self defense hollow points was probably 15 years ago. I decided on Gold Dots. Are they still top shelf, or have better things come along?

HST newer?

GD is still a top choice. I use them in .38 spl and 9mm.

HST newer?

Gold Dots are still a solid choice. However, just because a police department uses something doesn't mean its the best. More often choices are made due to cost and not necessarily the best product.

I run either Winchester Ranger or Federal HST for no reason other than they shoot well in my handguns.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
My best choice might just be whatever I can find! Prospects aren't looking good.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have more boxes of double tap 165 golden sabres than I know what to do with. I can’t think of a better self defense round. They’re full power and mean.

CCH

WKR
Almost any, because full power 10mm will give you as much expansion coupled with penetration as you’ll find. I would focus on reliability and availability at the moment, but am running either HTP 180 XTP (available at the time) when more urban focused or Underwood 200 XTP (on my shelf) for all around Colorado use.

I also am a fan of gold dots and xtp's. I keep 155 gold dots loaded up for personal defense as even those lighter weight ones hold together well. If I wanted a little more penetration, I'd go with the XTP 180's, as those apparently work well on black bears. If I am carrying my glock for bear protection here in AK, it's 220 cast lead loaded by underwood.

I am of the opinion that just about any expanding bullet would work well for human self defense. If my 10 ever makes it into bear country it'll be loaded with Swift A Frames.

I like Winchester silver tips in 175 grain. I did most of my research around 2011/2012 when I was buying my 10mm and from what I found those were the best performing and loaded to true 10mm performance at the time.
10mm has gotten significantly more popular since and Underwood has done a lot to provide great load options. Gold dot 200 grain or golden sabers always performed well in testing I just couldn’t get them at that time. XTP for self defense was kind of hit and miss with the small hollow point they are a great bullet but barriers and clothing can plug them up. HST offerings at the time were designed for 40 cal velocities and would drastically underperform at 10mm velocities, I believe there is a heavier weight option now that IS designed for 10mm.
woods carry I like DoubleTap 200 WFNGC as for me it’s more about the ideal bullet than a little extra velocity. That bullet at the time was as good as it gets in 10mm, BB and UW were not close on bullet design and performance. Since then UW has switched up their bullets and I believe they are a better hardcast design now. BB is still not a great hardcast design strictly for bullet performance in 10mm they have great options in other calibers

I use Cor-Bon 180gr Bonded Soft Point at 1300fps for all around use...humans, bears or anything else wanting to mess with me. Im not sure if they are made yet but I have about 60 rounds. I also use the 200gr hardcast at 1300fps from Reeds Ammo. Reeds also loads 41 Rem Mag with 250gr WFNGC...highly recommended.

Wrench

WKR
Ive posted on this enough times that you should be able to find it. I stuffed a 200gr xtp in a big bear's face at 10 feet. It made it through the skull in and out, down the neck blowing vertebrae to hell and ended about 16 or 18" into the ride.

I normally carried 200gr beartoorh hardcast, but that situation caught me off guard.

Now I carry a 9mm with berry's hybrid bullets as i feel they are plenty after that my tests.....and I shoot them waaaaay more accurately and without ringing for a week.