Glock 20 as an outdoor carry option

Just posting this as an interesting FYI (at least to me) regarding the use of a Glock 20 for use in the woods for protection whether it be as a backup for hunting rifle or as a handgun for hiking and whatnot.

It seems the topic as to whether or not a 10mm round would be adequate against possible encounters with larger 4-legged critters if needed is coming up more consistently. I have been curious about this and have been doing some searching. Many know that the Glock 20 is used by the Danish Sirius Sled Patrol as a backup to their 30.06 rifles.

For those unaware of this patrol, it's an amazing unit summed up from Wiki as: "a unique elite Danish navy unit that conducts long-range reconnaissance patrolling, and enforces Danish sovereignty in the Arctic wilderness of Northern and Eastern Greenland, an area that includes the largest national park in the world. Patrolling is usually done in pairs, sometimes for four months and often without additional human contact."

They consistently come across polar bears and while they would use their rifle first if need be, it may come down to the Glock 20 in a worst case scenario. I was unable to find any info on if that had ever happened, so taking a shot in the dark I emailed them and asked. I was surprised to receive a response as follows:

"I have received your question regarding the use of Glock 20 at the Sirius patrol.

We don’t consider the Glock 20 enough as a primary weapon for self-protection against polar bears. All our patrols therefore has to carry 30.06 riffles with them.

We do however have the Glock 20 with us for a “last option” situation. It could be in situations where the soldiers are caught by sudden surprise and can’t reach the riffle.

I know of one episode in 2006, where a polar bear was shot with only the Glock 20 by Sirius. The polar bear was shot on 2-3m distance with 6 fast shots. It felt down 1 meter from the soldier. However we don’t see this single episode as proof that the pistol has enough stopping power and that it is enough for self-protection alone.

We use both hollow-point ammunition and full metal jacket ammunition for the Glock 20.

Best Regards"

First I thought it was cool they took the time to respond, second it is a real-world situation in which the 10mm was adequate for a POLAR bear!!!

I don't want to get into a pissing contest between calibers, just want to point out this particular situation for those who may be considering the Glock 20 or similar firearm.

Thanks

Pretty cool that they responded. I've never shot a 10mm myself, just never had the chance. I'm from the camp of "shoot the biggest pistol you'll carry that you are the most accurate with". I carry a 40sw currently, but would like to see how the 10 shoots.

muleman

WKR
Very interesting. I wonder if the y would elaborate on which specific FMJ and HP they use?

I carried the 29 for awhile but I just shot that handgun terribly. I have wanted to try the g20. I'm not bad with a handgun but that 29 was a terrible fit for me

I'm hoping there will be a single stack 40sw in the glock at some point. My cousin has to carry a glock for work and she really likes it.

I love my G20 so far.

Points well, shoots well, recoil is very manageable in the g20, I would highly recommend it.

That's good feedback to hear. I haven't pulled the trigger on a 10mm yet but it's only a matter of time. I also have a .40sw XDM. I really like XD's and Glocks.

The G20sf is what I carry and I couldn't be happier with it. There are certain loads that are manufactured that are really good and some that are no better than a 40sw. If you roll your own the 10mm can really pack a punch.

With all that aside it has to shoot where you point, that's the most important factor. But I doubt you would want for more gun, especially in the lower 48.

KHNC

WKR
I can say for sure that a .40 cal from a G22 was not enough to fully penetrate the head of a 10' gator last fall. I was using 180 FMJ at point blank range. Even with hitting the soft spot on the head the bullet did not fully penetrate. Yes, it easily killed the gator as even a .22 in the proper spot will do that. I was able to recover both bullets from the head when skinning.

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
I loved my G20 but I like my G29 even better. I use 10+2 magazines always. I shoot it as well as I did my G20 so I sold the 20.
I think it is a great round. and a great handgun.

rm06

WKR
I have a gen 4 G20 that I carry. I wish Glocks fit my hand better, especially the smaller pistols like he 29, but with a Grip Force Adapter I can achieve acceptable accuracy. I don't find 10mm to be any more objectionable or difficult to control than .40, especially in a full size pistol with the new dual recoil spring.

It is a great round and a great handgun with as much power or slightly better than a .357 mag. That along with a mag full instead of a six wheel gives this pistol a lot of versatility. It IS expensive to shoot, but you can also buy a 40SW barrel for it for practice or extended sessions at the range. As far as stopping a bear, a .44 mag is still a better choice.

husky390

WKR
Pretty cool that they responded. I've never shot a 10mm myself, just never had the chance. I'm from the camp of "shoot the biggest pistol you'll carry that you are the most accurate with". I carry a 40sw currently, but would like to see how the 10 shoots.

Oddly enough, I prefer to shoot my G20 over any .40. Maybe it's the full size frame, I don't know, but to me it's more pleasant to shoot.

AGPank

WKR
I really like my G20, tough to beat 15 rounds of that power. I would like to upgrade the trigger, any suggestions?