Best 3 person backpacking shelter

Jimbob

WKR
I think I am set on getting a Redcliff for my needs but maybe you guys have other suggestions/solutions.

Mainly used as a backpack shelter for 3 guy trips, also will be used for a fly-in hunt in northern BC in August. A benefit of a bigger shelter is that it can also be used for family backpack trips

How many of you guys do 3 guys trip and what is your set-up? one shelter to fit all 3 guys or multiple shelters?

So what else is out there that is comparable to the Redcliff?

bsnedeker

WKR
I would highly recommend 3 separate shelters so you can all maximize your sleep. Dudes snore and fart.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I really like my old SL5 when three of us are sharing a shelter. My Sawtooth works pretty well too but it's tighter.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

I’m not going to tell you something different or give you other suggestions as I think the redcliff is a fantastic option. We have used it on high country buck hunts for the three of us, and all the way to Alaska for a moose hunt. If you split the weight between the three of you, it’s pretty light and with a stove fantastic. I actually took my 4 kids and me on a backpacking trip and it fit all 5 of us relatively well. Overall it’s a good choice. But if you were to do seperate shelters the copper spur or Nemo dagger would be good options. Light weight and big space for one. But I always buy a two man tent for just me. Good luck with your decision.

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
Thanks guys

I have a golite hex 3 and love it for one and two. I thought about the SL5 but the extra space of the redcliff is appealing.

Hi, tipi or tent?
To me, in norther BC, tent.
Why not look at a Hilleberg Nammatj 3GT? Same weight as the Keron 3, but a large vestibule for gear.
But, one tent for each is my way, I need to be able to sleep when I want to, not when you want to.....

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Jim last fall we used an Oware 11x11 mid for our caribou hunt:

2018 BC Caribou Trip

It weighs 3lb with 12 orange Coleman 8" Y stakes and guylines. Tons of room for 3 plus our packs. We could have fit 4. While slightly smaller foot print then the Redcliff (132 vs 121 sq feet), it's lighter & cheaper. The Redcliff would likely handle high winds better due its shape. We didn't have any high winds on our trip. Also the sod cloth on the RC would be better if you want to seal out out the breeze. We generally pitched with about a 3" gap on the bottom to reduce condensation.

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
Hi, tipi or tent?
To me, in norther BC, tent.
Why not look at a Hilleberg Nammatj 3GT? Same weight as the Keron 3, but a large vestibule for gear.
But, one tent for each is my way, I need to be able to sleep when I want to, not when you want to.....

I love floorless and will be hunting in August so I wont need a Hilleberg. Weight is a major concern and I am hunting with my Dad and son so sharing a shelter is easy. If I hunt with some buddies I have everything I need for solo hunting so I could bring my own shelter.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Jim last fall we used an Oware 11x11 mid for our caribou hunt:

2018 BC Caribou Trip

It weighs 3lb with 12 orange Coleman 8" Y stakes and guylines. Tons of room for 3 plus our packs. We could have fit 4. While slightly smaller foot print then the Redcliff (132 vs 121 sq feet), it's lighter & cheaper. The Redcliff would likely handle high winds better due its shape. We didn't have any high winds on our trip. Also the sod cloth on the RC would be better if you want to seal out out the breeze. We generally pitched with about a 3" gap on the bottom to reduce condensation.

I'm kinda stuck on the Redcliff because I think it is exactly what I want BUT cheaper options are enticing and I could end up going that route. The Oware looks nice, thanks for the suggestion Bruce.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
7b6336ed0ec9ae983dbc3afe5f0a7141.jpg
1baba11636cee280dbc1a81875e3bacd.jpg

For a truck trip it would fit 2 low cots and a stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
The redcliff is very good for 3 guys if you arent using cots. Mine is 90 oz with an aluminum pole and long stake extensions. I went with the al pole to save about $100. Its been through some good storms with no issues

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
Also the Jimmy Tarps Madison is the same dimensions as the Redcliff and at almost half the price. $475.00
Cool option BUT

1. Different dimensions from Redcliff but close
2. Price is better but no pole/stakes/seam sealer included

Love the options out there