Best All-Around Bullet for 7RM

BIG_KUMAR

Lil-Rokslider
I recently picked up a 24" Proof Sendero .284" Blank with 1:8" twist, with the intention of doing a barrel swap and chambering another 7 Rem Mag. I have to wait a little bit because we are in the middle of a move to NM where I will have the ability to chase a lot of game that I am unfamiliar with, ranging from pronghorn to elk. During the interim, I have been trying to read and learn what I can about suitable bullets. Now it seems like I have analysis paralysis, and I'm hoping that somebody here has looked for the same thing and found an answer.

While I am looking for a hunting bullet that can handle pronghorn to elk from 10 yds to 500 yds, I am also looking for something that I can practice 1000+ yds with. Ultimately, performance on game is the most important because I believe one of the most important things about hunting is a humane harvest. That being said, I don't need a bullet that will drive from tip to taint on a bull elk because I don't mind waiting for a decent shot to present itself.

So far I have been looking at (in no particular order):
-Nosler ABLR 175 gr. - Looks decent, but a lot of people say that it is too soft for closer shots (which makes sense if it expands all the way down to 1300 fps). I do like the idea of them being bonded though.
-Berger Hunting VLD 180 gr. - Looks like another decent option and a lot of people say they are killers, but I don't know how they hold together up close either.
-Sierra Gamechanger 165 gr. - I have always had good luck with Sierra before, both hunting and in matches, and I have no reason to think this one would be any different. While I haven't seen them in stock for at least a year, they were the least expensive option when they were available.
-Nosler Accubond 160 gr. - Probably my favorite hunting bullet so far, but I can't find them in stock and I don't know how they fly at distance. They are seem to be the most expensive that I have found, meaning less practice time at distance.

Any experience with these or anything else that I should be looking at would be appreciated. I know that everything is a compromise with bullet construction and performance, but there has to be something acceptable, right?

Totoro

WKR
BK, though I have limited range and kill time with it but the Hornady 180 ELM is one of the sleekest 7mm offerings I have found and shot in 7WSM/7RM/7STW handloads.

Though I have only shot blacktail and muley with them at broadside or quarter away.

The Hornady 162 ELDX would seem to hold together a bit better with the shot angle being less than ideal IMO.

No flies with the NAB, for practice though, it is on the pricier end of the spectrum.

LightFoot

WKR
The new Federal Terminal Ascent seems to be the nearly perfect bullet for anything from point blank to reasonable (600ish) yards. I would put them on par with or exceeding the Accubond or ABLR.

With the right tools (rangefinder & calculator) and a sub-MOA load, you can practice with anything to 1000 yards.

I have always had great accuracy and solid performance out of the Hornady ELD-X. The 162 or 175 would be a good bullet for anything up to and including elk.

168 - 190 Berger have a great reputation for accuracy and a very good reputation for terminal performance.

If you want to go lead-free, the Hammer bullets are dominating the forums and social media with positive feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Depends what kind of bullets you generally lean to. You have the twist to stabilize 195 bergers if you wanted to go that way. Hard to go wrong with accubonds or partitions as well. Every Sierra I’ve ever shot has been very accurate. Barnes lrx are great for monos as are Etips and the new Hornady CX. Tons of great bullets out there

Edit- I also agree with Lightfoot on the terminal ascents. I’d love to try them if I could ever get my hands on some

OP
BIG_KUMAR

BIG_KUMAR

Lil-Rokslider
I really appreciate the replies so far. I completely forgot to mention the ELDX 175 gr as an option that I have been considering, and the Terminal Ascent wasn't even on my radar. The Berger 195 gr is another one that I need to look into.

Heavier bullets have always made sense to me personally for hunting for a couple of reasons. They tend to have lower MV than their lighter counterparts, meaning impact velocities should be lower at closer ranges hopefully preventing explosive failures on game. They also tend to have higher sectional densities, which should help with penetration even though there are plenty of other factors that determine depth as well. The higher BC that goes along with long heavy bullets also works well for my uses.

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend the Barnes TSX 175 gr. It might not open super fast at a 500 yard hit but will hold together and make two holes and they shoot well out of my Winchester with either H4350 or H1000 pushing it.

OP
BIG_KUMAR

BIG_KUMAR

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend the Barnes TSX 175 gr. It might not open super fast at a 500 yard hit but will hold together and make two holes and they shoot well out of my Winchester with either H4350 or H1000 pushing it.
While I have never tried any monos, I am sure that they would be bad medicine for any animal that I would be chasing. The TSX doesn't interest me nearly as much as the LRX 168 gr does, but I am admittedly ignorant about them.

Guess I have another one to look at...

I have three 7RMs. The twists are 9.5, 10 and 10.5. All shoot .5 inch groups with hornady interlocks and H4350. In the 80s I loaded Sierra boattails (game kings)(180s) for a number of years until they started falling apart. I went back to 175 interlock round nose. I thankfully bought 8 boxes as they quit making them. My second choice is interlock spire points. At 2750 fps they consistantly kill elk and are extremely accurate. Perfect mushrooms every time. Honestly I think I would be screwed if I didn't have a sizable stockpile. Besides my inventory, I have a stockpile of 400 loaded shells.

When I ventured into the 175 gr eldx I got .5 " group at 50 yds but when I stepped out to 100yds those groups spread to 8 inches. I attempted to adjust the powder but there was no improvement. I dumped the rest in the garbage.

I guess it doesn't make much differance at this point as I haven't seen a 7RM bullet in the stores in three years. I have even tried to order bullets through the stores as instructed by hornady. No success. I used to like speer bullets but haven't seen any in the stores in 20 years. Same with corelockts.

Copper bullets and rapid expansion bullets are not of any interest. Maybe my interest will change in my next life. Accuracy is one component but a bigger one is how they act in the elk. It has taken me a long time to find something I can trust not to create bloodshot. I hunt for meat. I don't wish to share my elk with the garbage. What has worked for 59 seasons is not soon to be replaced.

I can honestly tell you I have the same barrel blank (soon to be for sale NIB) as I had the same intention to swap barrels.

My current 9.5 twist shoots 160 gr Nosler PT or Accubonds so well I m leaving it alone. It also shoots any of the flat base 175 gr bullets.

Figured at this point if I want more, I now go straight to my 375 H&H.

Good luck

BK, we have a Ruger M77 stainless, 1:9.5 twist, use the 175 Nosler LRAB. H4831sc powder, CCI mag primer, mixed (but trimmed) brass. Consistent groups under 1/2 MOA. As far as hunting, to date we (wife or myself, it is her gun) have taken bison, mountain goat, multiple elk, multiple deer, multiple pronghorn. Ranges from under 30 yards (bison and a cow elk) to 350 (goat). Performance was outstanding, my goat took more than one shot, others dropped where they stood. Given the headwinds blowing against lead shot/bullets, Barnes TSX seems like a solid choice as well, although I don't have any experience myself.

CRJR45

WKR
I bought some 180 ELD's to load for my 7mm rm , but Hornadys load chart says they highly recommend a barrel twist of 1-8 or faster to stabilize the bullet . I might try them anyway. My rifle is a 1-9.5 and shoots the 150 ELD's the best , better than the 162's .

OP
BIG_KUMAR

BIG_KUMAR

Lil-Rokslider
I was able to grab a couple hundred of the Nosler 175 ABLR to try out and see how they shoot. Now I just need to get my rifle back with the new barrel and put all together. If they shoot decently enough, I will probably try to stick with them. If they don’t, I think the plan is to try out some of the Berger options.

I really appreciate all the responses.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
While I have never tried any monos, I am sure that they would be bad medicine for any animal that I would be chasing. The TSX doesn't interest me nearly as much as the LRX 168 gr does, but I am admittedly ignorant about them.

Guess I have another one to look at...
168 LRX IS a good bullet. I've used it on elk out of my 280. I am not able to stabilize it out of my 1:9 twist at sea level, but in the mountains it is fine. I like the 160 AB and 168 Bergers as well for the 280. I'm starting to try the Hammers this year and on paper they are flying fast and grouping tight. Haven't had an opportunity to use them on game yet.

kpk

WKR
As much I'd love to shoot the 160 AB, they've been impossible to get.

bmart2622

WKR
Ive heard rumors that Federal is going to be coming out with a 165gr Terminal Ascent that would be an awesome bullet for the 7rm but who knows when we will see it

The 1 in 8 Twist may prefer the heavier bullets i.e. 180, 195, Bergers. I had good success with 175 ELD-x and 168 Berger in a 1 in 9.25. I took deer from 300-650yds with both and all dropped quickly. I think I like the 175 ELD-x for an all around killer that can provide great accuracy beyond 1000 yards.

143 Hammer Hunter or a weight close to that in the sledgehammer line. I use them in a 7mm STW and have killed a lot of animals.
Bergers did not hold up in this rifle and hammers are extremely consistent bullet to bullet and lot to lot. They are made in Montana and readily available all the way through COVID.