Best all around caliber?

JP100

WKR
300 win mag is best! 30-06 is a deer gun. There are old schoolers that who will swear by it and preach yes they have killed elk with it....but they also group in the great depression and won't spend a dime on anything either. No question get the 300.

you dont need a 300 mag. can get by with far less at normal ranges with a thing called "shot placement"

NEhunter

WKR
300 win mag is best! 30-06 is a deer gun. There are old schoolers that who will swear by it and preach yes they have killed elk with it....but they also group in the great depression and won't spend a dime on anything either. No question get the 300.

Hahaha. That's laughable.

6rgunner

FNG
A 30-.06 in UNDERkill. Seriously. I've tracked more than my share of elk shot with them at 200 yards and less. it's a deer gun. A .300 Win Mag is the PEFRECT caliber for elk. Definitely NOT overkill. When you get in the mountains 300 yards is a very common shot. Yes we absolutely do everything we can to get closer but that's not always possible especially when it's not one but 30 animals and 60 eyeballs you're trying to sneak up on. When you spend the money for a gun, an elk tag, and the other costs involved in hunting elk not to mention precious time away from work why let 100 yards be the thing that separates you from success? There are also so many options when it comes to bullets and loads. The .06 barely offers what I'd consider elk worthy. It's near impossible to find on a shelf too whereas most all ammo for the .300 will suffice. There are old schoolers who will swear by it and preach yes they've killed elk with it... but they also grew up in the great depression and don't spend a dime on anything else either. No question get the 300.

JP100

WKR
A 30-.06 in UNDERkill. Seriously. I've tracked more than my share of elk shot with them at 200 yards and less. it's a deer gun. A .300 Win Mag is the PEFRECT caliber for elk. Definitely NOT overkill. When you get in the mountains 300 yards is a very common shot. Yes we absolutely do everything we can to get closer but that's not always possible especially when it's not one but 30 animals and 60 eyeballs you're trying to sneak up on. When you spend the money for a gun, an elk tag, and the other costs involved in hunting elk not to mention precious time away from work why let 100 yards be the thing that separates you from success? There are also so many options when it comes to bullets and loads. The .06 barely offers what I'd consider elk worthy. It's near impossible to find on a shelf too whereas most all ammo for the .300 will suffice. There are old schoolers who will swear by it and preach yes they've killed elk with it... but they also grew up in the great depression and don't spend a dime on anything else either. No question get the 300.

Biggest crock of shit ever haha. keep trying.
So many more bullet options? haha they are both .30cal. you can use the same bullets in both.
I bet this is just a fake vid aswell haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18

Guys, there is clearly no way you are going to convince Mr. 6rgunner of anything here. I could mount a strong argument with photo documentation of lots of bigger and/or toothier critters than elk that have fallen to the 30-06. More recently than 1934 too. :) But whats the point? He's a believer.

or a troll. that's a possibility too.

Yk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Guys, there is clearly no way you are going to convince Mr. 6rgunner of anything here. I could mount a strong argument with photo documentation of lots of bigger and/or toothier critters than elk that have fallen to the 30-06. More recently than 1934 too. :) But whats the point? He's a believer.

Yk

I'm going with the latter!

Floorguy

WKR
There are old schoolers who will swear by it and preach yes they've killed elk with it... but they also grew up in the great depression and don't spend a dime on anything else either. No question get the 300.

so they are old cheap and it worked for them but its not good enough for me? I am not following your logic on this one

you also made the case for a 338 norma, lapua or other long range round that smokes the 300 cuz after spending all that money on a gun tags gear and beer why let 1000 yards be the thing that seperates you from success.

JP100

WKR

Yk

haha definitely the latter

Jager

WKR
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain

NEhunter

WKR
Now hold on guys, this guy may genuinely have no clue about ballistics. Give him a chance to logically present his case. Unless the age of the cartridge was it.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I think the agrument is that the 30-06 launches bullets 10% slower than a 300 WM means with works 100% less. :D

6rgunner

FNG
I'm definitely a troll;) I really have no idea that was something someone emailed me when I asked about a elk gun. Right now I only pheasant and deer hunt but I am looking for a rifle for elk hunting. If a guy just wanted to elk hunt what caliber is best ( I'm being serious now)? I didn't mean to get you guys all hot and bothered.

Ironman8

WKR
Did you really think that was the best way to go about "learning" here? Is this your first time on the Internet??

Floorguy

WKR
I'm definitely a troll;) I really have no idea that was something someone emailed me when I asked about a elk gun. Right now I only pheasant and deer hunt but I am looking for a rifle for elk hunting. If a guy just wanted to elk hunt what caliber is best ( I'm being serious now)? I didn't mean to get you guys all hot and bothered.

well if you are serious 300 wby, the 300 win mag is underpowered bought by people that want a 300 wby but are too cheap to pay for the more expensive/more powerful ammo but still want to feel superior to the deer hunters using 30-06 to maim elk

JP100

WKR
well if you are serious 300 wby, the 300 win mag is underpowered bought by people that want a 300 wby but are too cheap to pay for the more expensive/more powerful ammo but still want to feel superior to the deer hunters using 30-06 to maim elk

Really a 300 wby is marginal still really just a 30-06. Id go minimum .338 wby or get a .378 wby mag. elk are big animals