Best all around pack

I mostly have hunted Whitetails and have truck hunted elk and antelope. I am doing a back country hunt this year and trying to find the best pack that I can use for elk as well as for tree stand hunting whitetails. I have no preference for brand just want the best pack I can get for the money.

ericF

WKR
That's like saying what is the best Caliber for elk hunting. Ask 10 different people on this site what the best pack is and you'll come back with 12 different answers. It is purely subjective to each person on what their desired qualities are. Do you want as light as possible since you will be covering the elk mountains yet still capable of hauling out some quarters even if it is not as comfortable, then get a Kuiu. Do you want bombproof along with a higher price, but more weight, then get Kifaru. Do you want something in between, then get an Exo, Mystery Ranch, Seek outside, etc. You will have to go into more specific detail on what you want in a pack otherwise you are going to get the usual recomendations of I use this pack and I like it.

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
In addition to what erifF said, you should do a search in the Backpacking section of the forum. There are pages of information there.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
That's like saying what is the best Caliber for elk hunting. Ask 10 different people on this site what the best pack is and you'll come back with 12 different answers. It is purely subjective to each person on what their desired qualities are. Do you want as light as possible since you will be covering the elk mountains yet still capable of hauling out some quarters even if it is not as comfortable, then get a Kuiu. Do you want bombproof along with a higher price, but more weight, then get Kifaru. Do you want something in between, then get an Exo, Mystery Ranch, Seek outside, etc. You will have to go into more specific detail on what you want in a pack otherwise you are going to get the usual recomendations of I use this pack and I like it.
Only brand I would add to this list is Stone Glacier. I personally prefer the Exo.

OP
F
Sorry for not being more specific, I am wanting something that will be big enough for a 5-7 day hunt that will still compress down so I can use it while I am hunting as a day pack. I have looked at the Kifaru and think I would prefer to have one that is going to be as rugged as theirs, but not sure which of theirs would be best for this. I guess that is about as specific as I can be because I am not super sure what is best for this scenario. I have only hunted and had to pack animals about a mile and not 100% sure what I want or need.

elkguide

WKR
Unfortunately for you, while each of us have our preferences, it is definitely a personal thing. Packs that fit me and feel great to me make my son crazy trying to use them. You really need to get out and try some on. Most all of the big name companies put out a great pack. Head over to the backpacking section here on the forum and read what others have said and believe to be the best! (for them and their experience)

And of course welcome to the Rokslide!

ericF

WKR
Sorry for not being more specific, I am wanting something that will be big enough for a 5-7 day hunt that will still compress down so I can use it while I am hunting as a day pack. I have looked at the Kifaru and think I would prefer to have one that is going to be as rugged as theirs, but not sure which of theirs would be best for this. I guess that is about as specific as I can be because I am not super sure what is best for this scenario. I have only hunted and had to pack animals about a mile and not 100% sure what I want or need.

Agree with others who say the information is there in the Backpacking forum, but you will have to sift through various information. If I was researching I would pick out a few specific models and then do some searching to see all the previous reviews and threads that people have done. For example, you can use the following search string on google to check out the fulcrum: "kifaru fulcrum site:rokslide.com". That being said, I would start my search with the Kifaru Reckoning on the Duplex lite frame if you are interested in a do all Kifaru back. I have a Kuiu bag myself, but my hunting partner has had the Reckoning for a number of years and loves it. It can be compressed nicely for day mode, yet it is expandable enough to run for multiple days or longer by adding additional pockets depending on how much gear you have.

ChrisAU

WKR
I also am a big fan of the Reckoning for the exact stated purpose. Just the right size for camp and gear for a 5-7 day hunt that will compress down for day pack use nicely, and you have the options of adding all sorts of stuff, guide lid, sherman pocket, multiple pouches of all sizes, etc that can easily make you stretch it into a 12-14 day pack. Add the ability to put a large dry bag on the load shelf and you could take it on a 20+ day excursion.

prm

WKR
The Reckoning is a great 5-7 day pack. The Mystery Ranch Mule is great for day hunting and can work for a few days. Perhaps even 5-7. That’s a big range of requirements.

If you're interested in Kifaru, which it sounds like you are, it's probably worth giving them a call and asking what they would recommend for your situation. No one knows their products like they do and I've always had good conversations with their customer service.

I have ZERO elk experience, so don’t think I’m trying to be an internet warrior. I had the same question as you, and after a LOT of questions asked I finally just called the folks at Exo and talked to them. I like Kifaru and have had a couple good conversations with them, I just happened to like the design of the Exo enough to give them a call. Went with the Exo 3500, and so far I really like it for deer/pig hunting. I threw a whole doe on it and walked her to the truck with no problem. I’d recommend Exo based on what I’ve done, but there are a lot of packs out there. I’d highly suggest calling whichever pack company you narrow it down to and asking as many questions as you can.

Hoot

WKR
I’ve bought 3 kifaru packs, currently, I use a reckoning, I like the exo a lot, and I am super intrigued by the stone glacier, when I am in need of another pack I will buy a stone glacier and a kifaru and return the one I like least.

coues craze

Lil-Rokslider
Why not just keep your current whitetail pack and purchase a western pack for that specific use? Hauling around a 5-7,000 cubic inch pack and frame for whitetails will get old even if it compresses down. As for which packs look at some of the top brands mentioned above and you’ll be satisfied.

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
Why not just keep your current whitetail pack and purchase a western pack for that specific use? Hauling around a 5-7,000 cubic inch pack and frame for whitetails will get old even if it compresses down.

This is a great point. I made the mistake of trying to buy a one size fits all and ended up with a good pack but not a great pack and now every deer season I don't touch it because it's just too big and heavy even compressed.

Versatility, adjustability and comfort with very heavy loads is why I chose Kifaru.
My choice was a Kifaru Hunting Platform Frame And Suspension in coyote w/ Cargo Panel, two small belt pouches and two large pouches (that attach to the Cargo Panel if/when needed), and a Guide Lid all in Mandrake. Also has a Gunbearer and hanging hydration bladder. This cuts four pounds off my pack weight (compared to the DT1) which is almost half. At an estimated 13lbs (including water and kill kit, rainsuit and other stuff in pouches I am able to move around fairly well. If I need to haul a load (gear or elk) I just compress it between the frame and Cargo Panel. I can trek light but won’t hafta make a trip to the truck to get a freighter to haul meat…it’ll already be on my back. I can fit all my spike camp gear and a week of meals in the 55L dry bag. Compresses to nothing w/o the bag. I think it’s the quintessential rig. Stole the idea from Aron at Kifaru. <g>

[/URL
]

[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK1_zpsmtdmzost.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK2_zpsrgfdaxwi.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK3_zpsdewho5sj.jpg.html]

[/URL
]

nphunter

WKR
Kuiu or even a horn hunter full curl are less expensive options but still great all around packs. You don’t need a $700+ pack to come out west and hunt for a few days, save that money and spend another day scouting or hunting. You defiently don’t need a $700 pack whitetail hunting.

I love my Kifaru pack but would never suggest one to someone that won’t really use it. I bought it after several others and I put in hundreds of hours and miles a year with it on my back packing heavy weight. I pack mineral to cams all summer, take several backpacking camping trips and hunt for at least 5 full weeks a year. I put over 180 miles on last Sept with a loaded pack.

For most people a kuiu pack is a great lightweight functional pack. Not the best suspension for prolong use but great for packing around and packing an animal out here and there.

I also am a big fan of the Reckoning for the exact stated purpose. Just the right size for camp and gear for a 5-7 day hunt that will compress down for day pack use nicely, and you have the options of adding all sorts of stuff, guide lid, sherman pocket, multiple pouches of all sizes, etc that can easily make you stretch it into a 12-14 day pack. Add the ability to put a large dry bag on the load shelf and you could take it on a 20+ day excursion.
Same. But I am also very excited about the 44 mag they just released!

AK Yeti

FNG
I mostly have hunted Whitetails and have truck hunted elk and antelope. I am doing a back country hunt this year and trying to find the best pack that I can use for elk as well as for tree stand hunting whitetails. I have no preference for brand just want the best pack I can get for the money.
Stone Glacier

topher89

WKR
I would spend some time on some of the big companies sites and select one pack from each company that meets your criteria.

Once you have it down to 2-4 packs, start reading reviews hear and see what fits your needs best.

AK Yeti

FNG
I’m a big fan of Kifaru and Stone glacier. Both are solid and have excellent customer service