Best bang for your buck tripod

We are doing the Promaster X-CM522 that is taller then the Schnee's, has a ball head that's Arca Swiss and has a 5 year no fault warranty for members here, for only $191.99 shipped to any street address
Give us a call and mention Rokslide
What pan head do you have to accompany this?

For going lightweight I run a Slik sprint mini 2 tripod. I put a Sirui VA-5 head on it. Comes in at 40 oz. I run a Swaro STS 65mm on it. For backcountry hunts I dont need to stand while glassing so this set up works for me.

Promaster xcm 525 with Spartan Davros Head. Use it for shooting off of and for spotter, fast switch and rock solid

I have and have used multiple different tripods and have always gone back to my trusty vanguard as my go to. Also have to consider weight... Can be a good or bad thing... Wind will not be your friend with a small lightweight tripod. I carry some paracord to tie a rock to my tripod to hold it still on the breezy days glassing long range.

I have owned both the slik 634 and 635 and much prefer the 635. It is more compact, packs easier, perfect height for me sitting with my spotter without extending the legs, and is tall enough fully extended to use standing with binos or scope (albeit I am short). Have run the outdoormans micro and standard panhead and prefer the standard.

Does anyone have an opinion on the ball head that comes with the pro master 525 from S and S?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have an opinion on the ball head that comes with the pro master 525 from S and S?

Not specific to that head, but pan heads in general work better for glassing. It looked to be decent quality for other purposes.

Not specific to that head, but pan heads in general work better for glassing. It looked to be decent quality for other purposes.

I am considering buying that tripod and hoping that it does pretty well for glassing with a set of binos because it has a pan feature on it. In my mind it should do at least decent for light binos if you lock down the ball besides changing your elevation for gridding and then use the pan feature from there.

I am considering buying that tripod and hoping that it does pretty well for glassing with a set of binos because it has a pan feature on it. In my mind it should do at least decent for light binos if you lock down the ball besides changing your elevation for gridding and then use the pan feature from there.

I have been pretty happy with the ball head. Panning is super smooth and it takes very little loosing or tightening to go from locked to not on the ball.

Bringing back this thread for more info on that Aoka. Replaced the OEM ball head with a Slik-704E head because I like having control arms. However, I replaced one of the control arms with a set screw to reduce weight, and because I didn't need the tilt on that axis since my scope has a tilt ring built in (Slik really should just make a lightweight 2-way single arm head; as far as I know their lightest 2-way is still a couple oz heavier than the 704E). Added another QD plate for the Slik head and put a Y-rest on it to shoot off of.

Total weight is 1lb 7.6oz for the tripod body, Slik head, and spare QD plate and Y-rest.

I recently bought a Kowa 883, to compliment my 554. I have the Aoka tripod people have mentioned here, as well as a Sirui T-024. Was curious if I'd even be able to use the Aoka with my new 883 and was just out testing. At least on a calm day like today, the Aoka was perfectly stable in a seated position and was actually easier to use with my angled 883 than with my straight 554. No need for the center column with an angled scope.

Advantages of a bigger tripod like that T-024 is you can use it in positions other than sitting. It's also more stable, no doubt but, I had no issues even at 60x with the 883.

The Aoka is over a pound lighter.

IDK, I just use mine the way it came, nothing added, but I did eliminate the center pole that gives a additional 14” or so of height. I think that it would be plenty stable enough for your 65mm. I use it for my little Kowa, but I’ve also thrown my, much heavier, Swaro 80mm on it without issue. Although if it starts getting windy, you probably will have stabilization issues with the bigger scopes. Pretty hard to beat the weight of this thing, that’s for sure.
d7287b86111721a479a044a4252c81dc.plist

I have been trailing this thread along others, and i am glad to see this. i opted to go with this tripod topped with a smallrig fluid head. Still waiting on the tripod since i just ordered, but with the head i will be 24oz! gonna be hard to beat!

Thanks for sharing this!

I like to shoot off my tripod. The two vets carbon tripods are nice, along with RRS. they are a bit heavier than the slik, but will hold a lot more weight. so just depends on what you are wanting it for. if its just for straight optics, some of the smaller ones are pretty nice.

also, do you want to be able to stand and glass? or only sit?

for hunting, i'd run the KIT with an RRS anvil ball head.

Back