Best center column tripod for shooting

dwent

FNG
Hey guys. I’m looking for a point in the right direction for a tripod that is able to balance price, stability and weight, but importantly also includes a center column, even if just a short one.

Up until now I’ve been shooting off trekking poles, bipod and my pack, but I just ordered a RRS BH-40SC, ideally to replace my outdoorsman head with, so I can glass and shoot from the same head. My current tripod is a ProMaster 522CK, which is super light but I’m afraid it isn’t going to have the strength to handle my 300PRC direct mounted onto the MPA chassis.

I understand the limitations that come with a center column but I hunt in very steep country and the idea of adjusting my tripod legs every time I want to change my view from the bottom of a draw to the top of a ridge line is absurd to me, especially when sitting on a steep slope already. I need at least a short bit of center adjustability.

I’m definitely willing to pay more than I did for the promaster, since in asking for greater rigidity, but the tripods in the four-figure range are out of the question (looking at you RRS).

OP
dwent

dwent

FNG
Not super impressed by the price point considering they appear to be Chinese knockoffs. After looking around a fair bit It really appears to me at this point that the RRS ascend is the only option for what I’m looking for these days if I don’t want to sell my soul to the Chinese patent pirates. I would have a hard time sleeping at night knowing I sent my stimulus check to China.

deadwolf

WKR
I wonder where the Promaster tripod you are replacing was made? Or the device used to access this forum? I am all for supporting US made, when possible and practical. Two Vets is an American company who is trying to go all US made as soon as practical for them. I’m happy to support their small business and thank them for their service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
dwent

dwent

FNG
I wonder where the Promaster tripod you are replacing was made? Or the device used to access this forum? I am all for supporting US made, when possible and practical. Two Vets is an American company who is trying to go all US made as soon as practical for them. I’m happy to support their small business and thank them for their service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The promaster is definitely Chinese, and I've never felt great about that. It's on its way out in either case. You buy what you can afford at the time. What was once acceptable to me is becoming a lot less so as time goes on. I look at how companies like Leofoto not only make exact clones of RRS products (albeit to much lower standards), but then go so far as to steal the name of their rifle division as well (S.O.A.R.). There isn't a member on here whose house is devoid of anything Chinese and I won't pretend that mine is. I sometimes wonder how much the word china is printed throughout my house on the bottom of things. We've done that to ourselves as a country I guess through our trade policies. In making this thread I was hoping there was a better alternative to the Chinese stuff, yet maybe not quite rising to the level of the RSS stuff, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm a vet and I wish TwoVets luck. I hope they are able to bring their production stateside soon. Until then it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy an RRS.

BBob

WKR
Not super impressed by the price point considering they appear to be Chinese knockoffs. After looking around a fair bit It really appears to me at this point that the RRS ascend is the only option for what I’m looking for these days if I don’t want to sell my soul to the Chinese patent pirates. I would have a hard time sleeping at night knowing I sent my stimulus check to China.
I have an Ascend and a TQC-14.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
Take a look at the Manfrotto MT055Pro3. Not super light at 5lbs, but stout and priced well. I would not go with a tripod that wasn't rated for at least 15lbs capacity.

Jeremy

TxJW

FNG
Look at the SLIK products on CameralandNY sales sheet. Good stuff at great prices.

The promaster is definitely Chinese, and I've never felt great about that. It's on its way out in either case. You buy what you can afford at the time. What was once acceptable to me is becoming a lot less so as time goes on. I look at how companies like Leofoto not only make exact clones of RRS products (albeit to much lower standards), but then go so far as to steal the name of their rifle division as well (S.O.A.R.). There isn't a member on here whose house is devoid of anything Chinese and I won't pretend that mine is. I sometimes wonder how much the word china is printed throughout my house on the bottom of things. We've done that to ourselves as a country I guess through our trade policies. In making this thread I was hoping there was a better alternative to the Chinese stuff, yet maybe not quite rising to the level of the RSS stuff, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm a vet and I wish TwoVets luck. I hope they are able to bring their production stateside soon. Until then it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy an RRS.
We have some things in the works brother. As I’m a smaller company I always want to appeal to the market and be affordable. Being production stateside is definitely going to bump our prices but I know some people out there deffinitly want this and I plant to deliver brother.

OP
dwent

dwent

FNG
We have some things in the works brother. As I’m a smaller company I always want to appeal to the market and be affordable. Being production stateside is definitely going to bump our prices but I know some people out there deffinitly want this and I plant to deliver brother.
Glad to hear it. Can’t wait to see it. I understand the dilemma of manufacturing costs domestically. I’d rather see money go to you than Leofoto in either case.

Flyjunky

WKR
I own a RRS 34L along with a gitzo giant but another tripod that many are overlooking is the promediagear tripods. Very similar to RRS and it's also made in the USA, not cheap, but very good.

https://www.promediagear.com

OP
dwent

dwent

FNG
im Interested in more information on same topic. As I’m trying to find a backcountry do all tripod needs a short center column.

I ended up biting the bullet and getting the ascent. It has a column when you need it but you can detach most of the column when you want to shoot prone, without having to detach the head or anything. You can also direct attach the Anvil to the tripod with a separate bolt and washer, I was told by RRS. I should have it by next week and will report back.

Other much more affordable options have been floated here and they’re probably great, but the RRS was the only one to check all the boxes for me and my uses.

BBob

WKR
^^^All that. I was just informed by another member that the RRS Ascend was Anvil compatible. Now the taper in the top makes sense. All the more reason to like this tripod with all the options available. When I bought mine the website revamp wasn't finished and didn't show all the features so I'm pleasantly surprised.

I buy American and support American business every chance I get but 1500$ tripod and anvil hurts. As I’ve already spent a thousands of $ on upgrading my systems in the last few months. But it seems to check the boxes better than everything else. been looking for other options and none check all the boxes. most don’t have center post, or lay prone, have good weight rating, or are light enough to backpack with etc. this one has my interest depending on price point.

OP
dwent

dwent

FNG
Interesting tripod. What is it supposed to cost? Britain is way better than China. Wonder where they're made.

$1,500 is indeed a tough pill to swallow, and you can see where I started out in this process. I've rationalized it in a number of ways (wife is a photographer, scopes and rifles that cost way more, etc...) But at the end of the day I didn't really need the stimulus checks as bad as some, but still qualified for it. My first inclination was to invest it, but that wouldn't have really "stimulated" the economy as well as putting it into an American made company that manufactures in America. Might be I spent the first stimulus check on the Vortex AMG I found for half off using the same rationale. There's no way of knowing.

Not turning my nose up at anyone who chose to do differently. Just sharing my though process.

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up biting the bullet and getting the ascent. It has a column when you need it but you can detach most of the column when you want to shoot prone, without having to detach the head or anything. You can also direct attach the Anvil to the tripod with a separate bolt and washer, I was told by RRS. I should have it by next week and will report back.

Other much more affordable options have been floated here and they’re probably great, but the RRS was the only one to check all the boxes for me and my uses.
Let us know how it works out!

I spoke with RRS today and they will be offering the Ascend mini pan head separately in the near future (hopefully the next month or two).

I think the Ascend head might be a good compromise with the emphasis on glassing compared to the emphasis on shooting (Anvil-30).

While a complete RRS tripod may not be an option for my budget, I am looking to replace my current Benro S2 head with a more solid glassing/shooting option.

Hearing Caylen Wojcik's preference to the Ascend versus his other RRS tripods for hunting makes me lean towards the Ascend rather than the Anvil from a hunting standpoint (mainly panning).

Another option I have been considering is the Outdoorsmans Jim White 2.0 Head.

OP
dwent

dwent

FNG
Let us know how it works out!

I spoke with RRS today and they will be offering the Ascend mini pan head separately in the near future (hopefully the next month or two).

I think the Ascend head might be a good compromise with the emphasis on glassing compared to the emphasis on shooting (Anvil-30).

While a complete RRS tripod may not be an option for my budget, I am looking to replace my current Benro S2 head with a more solid glassing/shooting option.

Hearing Caylen Wojcik's preference to the Ascend versus his other RRS tripods for hunting makes me lean towards the Ascend rather than the Anvil from a hunting standpoint (mainly panning).
I had initially put in my order with the BH-40SC (the anvil's clamp), because I didn't want to loose the panning ability.

After talking at length with Michael at RRS I ended up changing my order to the Anvil. The Anvil was designed for shooting whereas the rest are designed for cameras, and glassing. I figured that there is a compromise with either choice, so I'd rather compromise on glassing than shooting. I also think the ball orientation on the anvil will probably be more desirable for shooting. The Anvil was a $100 cheaper in the end too, which didn't hurt. I don't have it in hand yet but I will report back after I get some range time.