Best Commuter Car

Maki35

WKR
A Civic, Corolla or Hyundai makes a good commuter car. Their reliable & gets good mpg.

But I would get a small AWD such as a Rav4, CRV, HRV, Crosstrek as a commuter car because they're better in the snow or heavy rain.

A friend drives his used CRV everywhere, including hunting.

Last edited:

Crusader

WKR
Our family has 2008, 2012, and 2013 Mazda 3s. All have in the low-mid 100k miles on them. All have been excellent, headache-free cars. They don't get quite as good fuel economy as the Toyotas and Hondas but I think they don't cost as much, either.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
If you're looking at small cars, I'd look at Kia before Hyundai. The Forte is good and gas and up there in reliability. That said, I'd take a Civi first, the Carolla, and then a toss-up between Kia and Mazda.

Is there any possibility of a ride share open from your new location? Possibly someone that lives by you and works where you do...

49ereric

WKR
I drive a now very rusty 09 Ford Focus SE 5 speed for years on my weekend trips home and back to construction job sites. installed a colder set of double platinum spark plugs and opened the gap considerably. Bridgestone ecopia high gas mileage tires and drove slower than most people and routinely got 48-49 mpg in warm weather Mn winter temps 38 mpg.
if you want to drive faster get a diesel volkswgen sedan those cars can get near 50mpg @70 mph.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Theres a few guys around here that bought the 1990s Toyota Pickups with the 4 cylinder. They do well on fuel and do provide a bed if you need to haul anything you dont want in the cab. Quite a few farmers use them to run into town to get stuff.

SonnyDay

WKR
Not sure how open you are to EV… but as the family grew and adventures got more fun, my wife and I sold the hybrid SUV and got my Tundra and her Nissan Leaf. The leaf is zippy, handles great, does well enough in the snow (it’s heavy for its size). In almost 9 years I’ve replaced tires and windshield washer fluid. There just nothing to break or maintain on an EV…

LostArra

WKR
Corolla is Japanese for "fill up once a month"

A commuter should be no more than reliable transportation.

slowelk

WKR
If longevity is a concern I wouldn't bother with a hybrid or ev. I have kept the 2003 honda accord that was my first car in high school, and still drive it daily to this day.

I echo an older honda sedan as a recommendation.

bozeman

WKR
Toyota CHR. Had one now for 3 years for work. Had kept over 100k off my Z71…….$19k total, 35mpg. Can park anywhere on the pavement.

OP
dlee56

dlee56

WKR
Thanks for all the input everyone. Sounds like Civic and Corolla are the tried and trues. Anything to keep an eye out for on them when shopping the used/private market?

Had a 2001 honda accord 4cyl, stick . Was at one time commuting 150 miles a day round trip . Got 400,000 miles out of it . Original clutch . Replaced wheel bearings , brakes and regular maintenance . Good car . Get newer model years of honda/toyota without timing belt replacement

VW diesels are fantastic, especially at any kind of elevation.
Far more usable power and mpg than a gas econobox.
Good point avoiding timing belts.

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
~140 mile round trip, usually 6 days a week. The ole 6 speed Chevy cruze has done fine, usually right around 38-40 mpg. It's been a good enough little car but I don't know that I'd buy another

I bought a 2015 ford fusion hybrid and have been driving that on my 100 mile daily commute for 6+ years. Its been good to me. Pretty good gas mileage I get around 42 or so mpg, only costs $25-$30 to fill it up for the week. Once the main battery craps out I will probably get something else but hoping I get at least 250k miles on it, so another 70k from what I'm at now.

JoeDirt

WKR
Not sure how open you are to EV… but as the family grew and adventures got more fun, my wife and I sold the hybrid SUV and got my Tundra and her Nissan Leaf. The leaf is zippy, handles great, does well enough in the snow (it’s heavy for its size). In almost 9 years I’ve replaced tires and windshield washer fluid. There just nothing to break or maintain on an EV…
I changed Jobs in 2021, I could not find a commuter car, the used car market was horrible!

I ended up with a 2017 recalled Chevy bolt with 20,000 miles on it. (it was cheap too) I drive 1,300 miles a month and it cost me $32. It will pay for more guns and hunting trips!!!

Ive since put A/T tires on it and a 1" lift

OP
dlee56

dlee56

WKR
I changed Jobs in 2021, I could not find a commuter car, the used car market was horrible!

I ended up with a 2017 recalled Chevy bolt with 20,000 miles on it. (it was cheap too) I drive 1,300 miles a month and it cost me $32. It will pay for more guns and hunting trips!!!

Ive since put A/T tires on it and a 1" lift
I’m open to EV but my commute is 130miles round trip and I’m not sure if many of the cheaper EVs have that kind of range?

Ralphie

WKR
Im a fan of the corollas. Put 330k on a 1998. Got 180 on a 07 now. Both manuals. I drive all over pretty rural and out in the middle of no where and decent amount of snow. I put on real snow tires in the winter. Makes a huge difference.