Which vehicle to keep...?

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
That Ford is a unicorn, maybe not as practical, but that would be tough to part with.

OP
S.Clancy

S.Clancy

WKR
Keep the 7.3, higher resale value and gets the same mpg as a 15 year newer tundra. That way, you always have the option to tow if needed/wanted. and get rid of the least fuel efficient car for the most efficient.
It gets way better mileage. Driving 80 I generally hover right around 18MPG in the Ford, with no mods. Those Toyotas just suck for mpg.

Clarktar

WKR
I need first right of refusal on the Ford.

Drive it up cuz!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
It gets way better mileage. Driving 80 I generally hover right around 18MPG in the Ford, with no mods. Those Toyotas just suck for mpg.
What does your Tundra get?

Toyotas are great, just have to make sure you can always see a gas station.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't get the love for the 7.3, unless of course you find pleasure in wasting time maintaining and fixing diesel engines.....
I have a 2001 CC LB, and all I've done to it the past 15 years is put the bellowed up-pipe kit in when I got it, and then routine maintenance like any other vehicle.......oil/filter, fuel filter, air filter, coolant change when needed. Not a big deal. Just like every other vehicle I've ever owned.

They're great trucks for hauling, towing, and road trips with the family. The 8 foot bed with topper holds everything I need for my base wall tent hunting camp. I have a Tundra now as well, but I can't fit everything in it that I take hunting.

lak2004

WKR
I have a 2001 CC LB, and all I've done to it the past 15 years is put the bellowed up-pipe kit in when I got it, and then routine maintenance like any other vehicle.......oil/filter, fuel filter, air filter, coolant change when needed. Not a big deal. Just like every other vehicle I've ever owned.

They're great trucks for hauling, towing, and road trips with the family. The 8 foot bed with topper holds everything I need for my base wall tent hunting camp.
I had a 99 that I put glow plugs in 2 times in 1.5 years. Mine was probably a pos from the start. But I was always fixing some oil leak. They are great when they're running good. But I've been around enough of them to know I'd never own one again. Unless I need to tow more than 7k lbs regularly I'll stick to gas trucks.

CorbLand

WKR
15. I once thought I got 17 or so, but that was me failing at math.
Unless you are going to be doing a lot of towing, you are about breaking even as far as fuel costs go. Gas would be slightly cheaper.

Tough call. Personally I wouldnt deal with a diesel if I dont absolutely need one. The Tundra would ride better on most back roads too.

lak2004

WKR
Unless you are going to be doing a lot of towing, you are about breaking even as far as fuel costs go. Gas would be slightly cheaper.

Tough call. Personally I wouldnt deal with a diesel if I dont absolutely need one. The Tundra would ride better on most back roads too.
I agree with this. Fuel and maintenance costs on the diesel will be higher than a gas motor almost every time. Not to mention the stouter springs on the diesel for a rougher ride. I just don't get a diesel unless you are consistently towing over 7k lbs often.

TaperPin

WKR
Ok, so here is the deal. We have 3 vehicles;

2009 Honda Fit (best hunting vehicle ever)
2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7, 193,000 miles
1997 F-350 with the 7.3L Diesel, 225,000 miles

Both vehicles are in good operating condition, obviously the Toyota has more bells and whistles since it is 15 yrs newer. We are looking at getting a more commuter friendly vehicle and are trying to decide which pickup to get rid of. I have been going over this in my own head and need someone with more mechanical experience. Which one would you keep and why?

For reference, this vehicle will be a dedicated hunting/fishing/rafting machine, nothing else. We would not be doing any heavy towing, only raft trailers and similar. A decent pickup bed camper at some point.
Is that the 7.3 idi or 7.3 power stroke?

TaperPin

WKR
Driving a f350 work truck loaded down with tools on pavement, or as a working farm truck isn’t uncomfortable at all, but I bet it’s hard to get excited about driving it as family transportation. The prices on used diesel trucks is really high lately, at least south of you, so unless you were a motor head and just enjoy having a diesel, now is a good time to get rid of it if it runs good and body is straight.

Every year it’s been harder to stay excited about my old f350, when newer vehicles are easier to drive, easier to diagnose, easier to find quality parts for and if a cross country trip comes along newer is much less fatiguing.

Marshfly

WKR
Everyone saying sell the F350 has never carried a slide in truck camper on a truck. 1 ton is the only way to go for that. Without question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
I would sell the 7.3. Your tundra will tow anything the ford will, the last 7.3 we had on the dyno at my shop was about 190hp and about 425 ft lbs of torque, I think the tundra is rated for like 380 hp and 400 ft lbs. the ford is 15 years older and they’re only getting more expensive to fix and you could probably get top dollar for it right now. People go crazy for 7.3s anyways but right now with used vehicle market the way it is, its the perfect time to sell it.

leachguy

FNG
Auto mechanic here. Having worked on both extensively I'd sell the Ford. I have countless Tundras come into my shop with 200k or more miles on them and they don't even leak. I get excited when I find a leaking radiator or thin brake pads. Every 7.3 comes in and it's all leaks, needs all the ball joints, needs wheel bearings, injectors, trans is weak.

Fowl Play

WKR
If you are going to do a slide in camper you will need the F350.

If not, a lighter truck is always better for a hunting vehicle. Honestly both of those trucks are at an age you are going to start having problems soon… I’d sell both and get a newer full size.

TaperPin

WKR
When I originally read this I had a vision of a fairly limited camper, like a big insulated shell, that’s on many hunting trucks. I agree with Marshfly, and if you’re thinking of a big slide in there’s no doubt the f350 is worth keeping. Tall, heavy loads, driven at high speed and potentially high wind really put a strain on things.

When the time comes for a big camper it’s good to upgrade the rear sway bar (if it has one) and either add airbag overloads, or use a beefier over load spring setup. A you-pick-it wrecking yard with older work trucks will have a good selection of big swaybars and heavy overloads for dirt cheap. 4x4 catalogs have heavier, longer u bolts and center bolts to make it all work.

A good friend drove his f350 and gigantic slide in all over the country hunting and fishing - 450k miles on a couple of engines and three transmissions if I remember right. He would still be driving it if replacement engines were more reliable - he had two crap out with low mileage and diesel mechanics in his area were not the best, so he threw in the towel and has a new gas truck.