Best dehydrated backcountry recipe

Bighorner

WKR
I make a big batch of chilli with burger, canned beans and spicey rotel, season to your taste. Have chilli for dinner and dehydrate the rest the following day. The chilli can be rehydrated as chilli or as burrito filling.

I make a big batch of chilli with burger, canned beans and spicey rotel, season to your taste. Have chilli for dinner and dehydrate the rest the following day. The chilli can be rehydrated as chilli or as burrito filling.

Do you mix breadcrumbs with the ground beef? Heard that’s the way to go.

Bighorner

WKR
Yes I do. I just toast slices of bread, cheese grate the outside, cube anything that is soft. I use two slices per pound of burger.

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
I'll throw this out there for you guys to try. If you do try it, let me know what you think about it. I've had 6 people try it and love it. I think the secret is the powdered butter and powdered cheddar cheese in my homemade seasoning.

We aren't really fond of heat, so my seasoning recipe is very mild.
Mix...
-2 tbsp chili powder
-2 tsp ground cumin
-1/2 tsp ground cayenne
-1/2 tsp garlic powder
-1 tsp onion powder
-1 tsp sea salt
-1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
-1 tsp tomato powder
-1 tbsp powdered butter
-1 tbsp powdered cheddar cheese

The following yields around 4 pounds of wet chili (this will vary depending on how long you strain the ingredients), and 14.5 oz dry weight. I dehydrate at 145* for 15 hours or so. To rehydrate, add 14fl oz of boiling water to 4 oz of dry chili and let sit for 20 mins. Quart-sized mylar bags are too big for 4 oz of dry chili. I just ordered some pint-sized mylar bags which should be about perfect.

-1 lb ground beef. Brown it and break it up into small pieces with a spatula, place in strainer and rinse with hot water to help remove excess fat. Let strain.
-1 pint white beans, cook and strain.
-1 pint black or red beans, cook and strain.
-2 qt canned tomatoes, strain. Our canned tomatoes came from our garden and was a mix of regular and cherry tomatoes.

Combine the beef, beans and tomatoes in a bowl and mix. We have some Excalibur tray liners that I believe are silicone that we lay down on the trays and spread the chili out on.

Chili.jpg

After 5 hours or so, pull the trays out and break up the chili with your fingers into smaller pieces to help dehydrate. Sometime during the dehydration process, throw in 3 hamburger buns to dry for an hour or two. Once these are crispy, remove them and break them up into breadcrumbs. After 15 hours...
Chili1.jpg

Once out of the dehydrator, break up the larger pieces and add your breadcrumbs and mix thoroughly. I wait until after I re-hydrate to add the seasoning mix. This way you can add seasoning to bring it up to where you like it. I started out with 1/2 tsp of seasoning and ended up adding another 1/2 tbsp of powdered butter and 1/2 tbsp powdered cheddar cheese to get the consistency right. Once you have it dialed in to where you want it, you can premix the seasoning in with the dry chili prior to sealing your mylar bag.
Chili2.jpg

Last edited:

iriebra

Lil-Rokslider
Im in! Waiting to hear MOAR! Second the chili, but havent used the bread crumb technique but heard it is the way to go. Still trying to figure out which of the Freeze Dried Chicken is best to use - since dehydrating at home is a no-go. In the same context of the chili, we've done spaghetti as well. Such a nice taste of home when backcountry. Precooking and then dehydrating the noodles is also a big help by saving time and gas. (wrap in papertowel before vacuum packaging)

Thinking of buying this cookbook: https://www.backpackingchef.com/recipes-for-adventure-ebook.html

Clarence

WKR
Roast elk with gravy and peas and carrots. Make the gravy into leather, and serve with Idahoan potatoes. Like Grammy's Sunday dinner on the mountain! Other favorites are venison adobada for tacos, and venison bolognese. I like the recipes in meateater fish and game cookbook for these.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Clarence

WKR
Guys having a hard time with chicken, have you tried shredding it down fine? I've had success doing this way.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

KBC

WKR
Not sure what you have in the USA but Costco in Canada has 6 packs of canned chicken that dehydrates and rehydrates quite well. Just break up the big chunks.