Best dies for 300 win mag?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Sorry if this is a stupid question. I’ve been loading for several years but I’ve always used basic rcbs dies. They work fine but they are a pain in the ass to adjust for overall length.

I play around with 2-3 different loads in my 300 win mag and I’m wondering if there is a better option out there. I see some of the more expensive does have like a dial on top of the bullet seating part. Do these make it as easy as just turning the dial to change the bullet seating depth?

If so, who makes a good one? Redding? Forester?

Thanks!

rootacres

WKR
I have gone to using a Forster micro meter seater die. It's nice for messing with seating depth. I liked the RCBS full length sizing dies. For my 7 SAUM I ended up needing a custom resizing die from Whidden. They seem to have some pretty nice stuff too. I only have experience with the one die though.

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
Redding competition seater has a micrometer on top that works good, especially during load development when your trying lots of different bullets, seating depths, etc. they are my favorite out of all the ones I’ve tried. I also like the bushing resizing die

I'm running the Redding Comp dies, not sure if I'm smart enough to use them! lol. But don't have many rounds made yet. Have the neck tension bushings on the way, haven't used them yet.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Erik Cortina had a video that he showed using a caliper to measure the top of the seating plug to the top of the die to record the seating depth so you can come back to it and also so you can adjust in a repeatable fashion. I’ve been using that and it seems to work well.

Duckboy23

FNG
I'm really liking my Hornady precision dies. I have them both in .300wm and 6.5prc. The knurled adjustment is easy to operate and I haven't seen it slip or vary in seating depth.

Gila

WKR
Hornady match grade dies have the micrometer on the seater. Also comes with different stems for different nose shapes. The full resizer uses a bushing for neck tension.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I use Redding dies for the cartridges I load for now but I have used Hornady and Forster in the past. For the money the Hornady were as good as any. The only complaints I had with the match grade set I had using a micrometer where I had minimal room when using a co-ax press and the 300wm dies. If it wasn’t set up a certain way the handle of my press would hit the micrometer. The other thing was not being able to adjust where the expander ball was in the sizing die. I had some issues with one set of Forster dies for a 308 and I switched to Redding directly after that. I would have no problem buying another set of Hornady dies now that I reload short action cartridges and they will clear my press just fine.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I use Redding dies for the cartridges I load for now but I have used Hornady and Forster in the past. For the money the Hornady were as good as any. The only complaints I had with the match grade set I had using a micrometer where I had minimal room when using a co-ax press and the 300wm dies. If it wasn’t set up a certain way the handle of my press would hit the micrometer. The other thing was not being able to adjust where the expander ball was in the sizing die. I had some issues with one set of Forster dies for a 308 and I switched to Redding directly after that. I would have no problem buying another set of Hornady dies now that I reload short action cartridges and they will clear my press just fine.
Did the Redding 300 WM die clear your press handle? Or were those the Hornady that didn’t?

Mack84

FNG
My bench has LE WILSON neck sizers, LE WILSON full length sizers, REDDING Master Hunter sets, RCBS sets, WHIDDEN seaters, and HORNADY sets.. my first step to sizing is removing the expander/decapping rod, and set neck tension with a mandrel, and decap with a mighty armory decapping die. Anyway my favorite set of dies right now is the Hornady set for my 6ARC. Buy the set and add the micrometer seater to your cart while your there, its more affordable than other brands as well. Or the other brands will work also.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Did the Redding 300 WM die clear your press handle? Or were those the Hornady that didn’t?
It was the Hornady the micrometer on top of the die is excessively tall when in the Forster press. It can me made to work you just have to short stroke the press and feed the bullet into the die first then set it back into the case.

From what I can tell with the sets of reddings I’m using for other calibers they should fit ok, their micrometer is much shorter like the forster dies.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
It was the Hornady the micrometer on top of the die is excessively tall when in the Forster press. It can me made to work you just have to short stroke the press and feed the bullet into the die first then set it back into the case.

From what I can tell with the sets of reddings I’m using for other calibers they should fit ok, their micrometer is much shorter like the forster dies.
Gotcha, thank you

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
I used to use a set of the standard, non micro, Hornady dies and they worked fine but I switched to a set of Redding Type S a couple of years ago and will not be going back, they are great dies.

I have a forester micro die makes it easy to adjust depth but the part I really it doesn't bounce around like some do in cheaper dies

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
I use plain Jane Redding in my 300win cooper backcountry.

Consistent loads, very accurate setup.

Ave about .6" with my 180ab loads, out of a very light bbl, good enough for me

I always save 1 dummy round from any pet load, that way next time you want to replicate that round just back the seat plug out, put your round in the shell holder, pull your lever down, and screw down on the seat plug screw until you feel resistance.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I always save 1 dummy round from any pet load, that way next time you want to replicate that round just back the seat plug out, put your round in the shell holder, pull your lever down, and screw down on the seat plug screw until you feel resistance.
I need to be better about doing that, I used to do it all the time, not so much this past few years.

I have redding and RCBS Competition dies. The redding dies are superior and worth the money IMO.