Best dies for 300 win mag?

Redding and forster micrometer seating dies both work well.
Do you ever have issues with your Forster micrometer dies? I can’t seem to get consistent seating depths unless I run the cartridge into it 2-3 times. I have a feeling it has to do with the spring they use.

Do you ever have issues with your Forster micrometer dies? I can’t seem to get consistent seating depths unless I run the cartridge into it 2-3 times. I have a feeling it has to do with the spring they use.

I've never noticed anything unusual in that regard.

The absolute best combination that I've found (I've tried pretty much everything out there) is the Lee Collet dies for neck sizing, Forster Full length or neck bump dies and the Forster Micro seating dies.. I've found that the Lee die (which squeezes the neck down around a perfectly sized mandrel) give me absolutely consistent neck tension even if there are tiny variations in neck wall thickness.. I like the "S" type sizing dies, but have found that I have to neck turn to get absolutely consistent wall thickness and bullet seating tension.. Also, the Lee mandrel is free floating so that it does not induce concentricity issues. I have found that this combination gives me the least bullet runout and most consistent seating tension and can easily be adjusted by ordering a Mandrel from Lee that can be ordered in +- ten thousandth increments ($8-$10). I have also taken a standard mandrel and polished it if it was a couple ten thousandths oversize and I wanted to increase neck tension ... The std mandrel gives you about 2 thousandths under the bullet diameter for press fit. You can easily increase/decrease tension by going up/down from the standard mandrel size/diameter. It also minimizes how much you actually "work" your brass.. Obviously, I would want more neck tension on a hunting round that has to be loaded in a mag and withstand the effects of recoil that I would a single feed "Accuracy" load..

Last edited:

VA2MT

Lil-Rokslider
Redding comp dies are definitely worth the money. Micrometer is definitely the way to go. Very consistent ogive Measurements.