Best gloves

ForkLift

FNG
I was just about to post the same thing. Thank you. To piggyback on op’s question, what are good gloves for bushwhacking?

Gaspowered

FNG
Classified Approved
For truly cold weather gloves, I suggest you might look beyond hunting brands and look into expedition gear.
I have a pair of Outdoor Research ice climbing gloves. I absolutely love them.

Good luck with your quest.

Cheers

Last edited:

LoneStar

Lil-Rokslider
OR gloves are good. I have a pair that I wear snow skiing and a pair of fleece gloves that have Goretex that are super warm. I've never tried the down glassing mittens, but they should be plenty warm.

shwacker

FNG
OR alti mitts or firebrand. Or other high end climbing companies like Rab. Though it does seem like the hunting companies are catching up. If you are planning to and haven't been out in the conditions, take time to experiment and understand that the whole clothing/food/water/sleep system works together for warmth. Mitts don't make hands warm.

ForkLift

FNG
OR alti mitts or firebrand. Or other high end climbing companies like Rab. Though it does seem like the hunting companies are catching up. If you are planning to and haven't been out in the conditions, take time to experiment and understand that the whole clothing/food/water/sleep system works together for warmth. Mitts don't make hands warm.
I have the OR Firebrand, they’re excellent even down to -40.

shwacker

FNG
For general bushwhacking gloves, I have some kuiu ones that have pittards leather palm, no insulation, and softshell back that I love. Attack gloves I think.

shwacker

FNG
Probably not. I can't remember what I paid, but I did get them at the outlet. Honestly some mechanix would be awesome also and a bit cheaper.

I'm a big fan of leather insulated gloves for dexterity. I have a few pairs of Give'r gloves, but any cow/deer/elk hide glove will work. In wet weather with any warm, non-waterproof glove I like wearing a pair of nitrile/latex gloves to keep the hands dry.

If you need a pair of glassing mitts, I like the stone glacier altimeter mitts. Being able to seperate the down mitts from the shell is awesome. And you can wear the shell over any gloves for weather proofing.

Spiritus Systems (more of mil/tactical brand) has a super in depth video on glove breakdown that can be applied to hunting:

BBob

WKR
I’m talking cold cold weather. 0-20 degrees sitting and glassing.
I was gifted a pair of Kuiu. Never tried anyone else's. The Kuiu work great for this specific purpose. With the separated index finger you can leave them on for basic tasks where a full mitt wouldn't work quite as well. I have a pair of light merino liners that I wear under them. I have other gloves for snow sports but the mitts are what I choose for cold weather glassing.

schmalzy

WKR
Altimeter mitts pretty solid and are nice and packable. Wearing a liner glove can get a little tricky but mostly manageable.

Black Diamond mercury mitts are probably slightly warmer and can be found for cheaper. Burlier construction. I’d recommend sizing up.

Strongly recommend hand warmers with both. I’ve hunted around 10 degrees with both and was reasonably happy. Have skied with both down to zero. Hands got cold on chairlift but don’t think that’s a fault of the mitts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yfarm

WKR

$40,Deerskin, will tan and use your hides as well. Have used in below 0 windchills

Who truly makes the best gloves. I’m talking cold cold weather. 0-20 degrees sitting and glassing. SG, Sitka, Kuiu, or someone else?
The best thing for warmth I have found in cold temps is a super thin liner and a mitten. I've used different liners like merino Sitka liners, etc. I've used this type of combo to -30* ambient and have had zero issues.

travism38

FNG
might be an unpopular opinion but im a big fan of the thin Sitka gunner glove paired with the incenerator muff. gloves are fairly windproof and stick hands in the muff for warmth. I havent found a glove that really works good keeping my hands warm while still being able to use my hands.

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
Just like other gear, layers are best, merino liner, protective grip layer, fleece flip mittens. Some configuration of these works from sub zero all the way to hot. My protection layer is cut rated, .,heat resistant, and grippy. My hands stay warm, uncut, and clean. (the total cost of this setup is small compared to mentioned brand names and undeniably more versatile and rugged.)