Dialing in for NM Winter Hunts

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all, I'm setting up for a February hunt in the Guadalupe Mountains in New Mexico. I'm looking to dial in my setup, but the historical temp range is pretty wide and I've been told to expect as low as the teens or as high as the 60's. I'll be camping relatively close to the truck, so bringing extra layers in the truck is an option if it gets cold.

On me:
- Merino 200 base layer, Kuiu Attacks for active + Super Down Ultra for glassing.
- Merino 200 base layer, Kuiu Peleton 200, Peleton 240 for active + Super Down Ultra for glassing.
- 200 wt. balaclava for active + 350wt. beanie for glassing.
- BlackOvis wool gloves for active + FL Brooks down mitts for glassing. Hand warmers if needed
- Wool socks + uninsulated Asolos on the feet. Extra socks in the pack & Feet warmers if needed

In the Truck:
- Kuiu Super Down Pro Jacket
- Kuiu Expedition Gloves
- FL Tundra Balaclava
- Rain gear (maybe not necessary?)

Is this anywhere close?

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Your list looks pretty solid to me! I’m not sure how well the Kuiu fleece layers cut the wind, but that might be extra reason to bring your rain shell (or add a wind shirt). Only other idea is bringing something for under your butt and feet while glassing. Good luck on your hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, I'm setting up for a February hunt in the Guadalupe Mountains in New Mexico. I'm looking to dial in my setup, but the historical temp range is pretty wide and I've been told to expect as low as the teens or as high as the 60's. I'll be camping relatively close to the truck, so bringing extra layers in the truck is an option if it gets cold.

On me:
- Merino 200 base layer, Kuiu Attacks for active + Super Down Ultra for glassing.
- Merino 200 base layer, Kuiu Peleton 200, Peleton 240 for active + Super Down Ultra for glassing.
- 200 wt. balaclava for active + 350wt. beanie for glassing.
- BlackOvis wool gloves for active + FL Brooks down mitts for glassing. Hand warmers if needed
- Wool socks + uninsulated Asolos on the feet. Extra socks in the pack & Feet warmers if needed

In the Truck:
- Kuiu Super Down Pro Jacket
- Kuiu Expedition Gloves
- FL Tundra Balaclava
- Rain gear (maybe not necessary?)

Is this anywhere close?
List looks good and similar to what I'll be running for my auodad hunt at the end of this month in GMU 28. I also plan on leaving heavier weighted/insulated gear at the truck/camp, just in case. One thing I'm packing with is a pair of insulated puffy pants to throw on while glassing and a small foldable foam cushion to sit on.

For me, I'm carrying a pair of wool /leather palmed gloves for the trekking, mitts for glassing, and in case of really needing to warm up a handwarmer pouch and some hand warmers. Helps me kinda be economical with number of gloves. That system has worked for me down into the single digits on some WT hunts back in VT.

Second the hard shell to cut the wind. When it's windy here on a 30 degree day it's pretty miserable, even with no rain!