Best GPS?

Depends on what features you want/need.

Gps with 2 way radio - Garmin rino series
Big screen/easy to read - Garmin montana
Small and compact - garmin etrex / watch unit
Satellite communicator w/gps - Garmin InReach+

I have switched to using my phone. I download the maps to use offline. Last year i used onx and the eartmate app from my inreach. This year i am trying the basemap and will use the eartmate app. Last year i carried my garmin as a backup. This year i dont think i am even taking my garmin.

ID2NM

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Garmin Oregon 700 at work and use a Garmin 64s on my own time. I would highly recommend either

ChrisAU

WKR
Used Onx and had a Garmin Inreach Mini for a backup/emergency beacon. Worked flawlessly.

Had a situation where we were hunting about 2.5 miles from camp, completely off trail, and right as it got dark thunder started rolling and a storm was coming in. We didn't have shelters with us apart from a couple of small tarps. I put my phone in the elastic mesh sleeve on top of my AGC bino pack and using the tracking mode in Onx I simply retraced our route in pitch dark with a trekking pole in each hand. We were booking it. Worked great though.

NDGuy

WKR
If you don't care about touch screen I would grab the Garmin 64s going pretty cheap (<$250) in some places right now.

I have it and like it but honestly have just been using my phone more and more lately.

darren820

FNG
I have been carrying a Garmin Montana for a few years and using my phone with Onx maps. Got an inreach mini last year also and I think I'm going to leave the GPS unit home and run the mini/ phone. Never turned on the MT last year.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I used to use Garmin Etrex but since 2013 I started using my phone with downloaded maps in Gaia, then I switched to Onxmaps or Garmin's Earthmate Bluetoothed to my Garmin Inreach.

frankrb3

WKR
I had a garmin 64st until I lost it while shed hunting. Ran to the store and bought the same model because I liked it that much. Having buttons over tough screen is a benefit in my opinion for an actual dedicated GPS unit.

I wouldn’t say it’s the best, but it’s simple and I never get lost.

I have switched to my phone as well. Download the maps from OnX and go.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
I use a GPS MAP 60cs (same as the guys above). It has worked great for me for about 6 years or so now. I bought a 3 CD set of topo maps with it from Mapsource. I just load the maps on for the area I am going to (and quite a bit more) and I'm all set. I also bring a regular map and compass of course.

Now just last week I saw an advertisement for a new GPS that is paired with a SPOT tracker of sorts (same company as SPOT). Anyway, they have a GPS that you can type a message into from the field and send via satellite to people at home via text message, email message and even facebook. Looks pretty cool. The only drawback to this is they want 5 or 6 hundred bucks for it and there is an annual subscription fee. If you're really into the latest and greatest, you might look at this.

Otherwise, I say you can't go wrong with the 60cs (I think now the new model is the 62cs or something like that).

Good luck and if you get the SPOT one, be sure to let us know how it works out.

ChrisS

WKR
Do phone users carry an extra battery pack to recharge the phone?
I do if I’m out for more than a day or two. I keep it in airplane mode and only use the gps to check a location vs my paper map & navigate with a compass. You can 4-5 days from 1 charge in airplane mode.