Best high end/high output headlamp?

lewisa45

FNG
I’ve been running the Surefire Minimus for years now and am real happy with it. Anyone have intel on higher output headlamps with similar durability?

judo_fire

FNG
Its not as bright as the Sure Fire but Im a fan of the Princeton Tec Remix. I lost my first one but I liked it so much I had to replace it with the exact same one. You wont start a fire with it from 300 yards but it doesnt weigh a quarter of a pound either.

Trial153

WKR
everyone will tell you what they have is the best. There is no best. There are however a handful or more of companies making top quality products. There are bunch of threads on here recently about peoples experiences with head lamps and the tests they have done on them. You need decide on what features you require and from there you narrow your search down .

I have a Petzl Nao that I love. It's very bright, but the biggest advantage is that it monitors the current light level and dims accordingly. I thought was "kinda gimmicky" until I used it - now I can't hardly go without. You can look at your watch and it doesn't blind you, you can look at your feet and the light dims, look farther away and the light output increases. It means the batteries last way longer, and you don't accidentally blind yourself when you hit something reflective like snow. I've had other bright lights in the past and that was always the problem, they'd work great while walking, but when something reflects back you lose all night vision.

BluMtn

WKR
I have been running the Armytek Wizard now for about 5 years and really like it. You can set the lumans from .5 all the way to 1150 lumans. I have had 1 battery last me 10 days in negative degree weather. I carry two extra batteries just in case but have not had to do a midhunt change yet. It runs on the 18560 battery. You can wear it as a headlamp or remove the head harness and clip it to your pack. It also has a magnet in the base so you can stick it to metal for an overhead light.

The Zebra light has worked flawlessly for me for the last year. Used it during hunting season last fall and daily throughout the winter.

Another zebra fan here. I bought two and Mine have been great for the last couple of years. One of the four batteries I bought from them stopped working sooner than I might have expected.

I've been happy with a black diamond storm for a few years. My first one failed after two years and BD covered it under warranty. I have no idea how it compares to others but it's a solid headlight.

I have a couple Zebra lights and similar Olight's that all run on the 18650 batteries. They're nice, compact and pretty bright depending on which settings you have them on. If you honestly want a headlamp that lights up a mountainside, you should make an effort to check out the Lupine lights. They're in a class of their own. You didn't specify intended use, so if lightweight is another detail you need, the Lupine will likely be heavier than you want to run. I've used friend's Lupines and will get one here eventually...tough to swallow the cost though.

Brendan

WKR
Zebralight - I have 4 headlamps and a flashlight. Primarily use the AA for keeping weight low, but 18650 is nice when you need it.

Tower

FNG
I use two regularly, a Princeton Tec Remix for the dedicated green LED’s and a Zebra for when I need a bright white light.

Camber__

FNG
I own some Zebra and some Armytek. The Armytek feel like they are indestructible...the Zebra feels like a tank too, but is lighter, and the user interface is way better.