Best hunting gear for big guys

No offense to the guys that can still wear their jeans from 8th grade but there isn’t a bunch of info for the XXL crowd. I am wondering about the best company for clothes that will survive without making me wonder if the crotch will blow out when I squat. My most recent hunting clothes are Columbia PHG with the Omni heat layer, great stuff but the XXL is baggy everywhere and the XL won’t leave me enough room in the thigh or seat. I know that my normal warm weather gear that I use for early bow season here in Missouri won’t cut it. If I order an xxl in First Lite, Sitka, Kuiu will the ankles be just as wide as the thighs, like some other gear I’ve come across? I am also looking at using 5.11 tac pants since they have worked well in the past for me. I just want to buy the best gear for my hard earned buck and I only want to buy it once every couple years.

I have all brands (it's a sickness) but find myself wearing Sitka Gear most of the time. I'm a xxl myself.

22365710_10214087807130289_3274695676748466193_n.jpg

10649646_10204540025361712_1347074031177374392_n.jpg

12006135_10207439324322374_1679118025145663270_n.jpg

22406064_10214087808370320_1129241913823382085_n.jpg

I am 6’3” 250. Kinda chesty but not in a tacky way. Xxl t shirts, 48 coat and 38 jeans. My thoughts:

- UA -good but I find both pants and jackets a little slim.
- kuiu - great stuff. A bit on the skinny jeans side. Love the attack pants. I think mine are a 40. A little extra room in the waist to get the thigh room. Size up on jackets. I think my guide is a xxxl.
- First lite - jackets and tops are fine. I actually can make xl work in some of their jackets. Pants are weird. Guides xl fits fine. Kanabs xl is ok. - North ranch did not work in but and thighs. Kudos to first lite for elastic waist bands. This is a no brainer that all hunting pants should have.
- Sitka has become my favorite. I have to size up pants. 40 or 42 but the fit well. I like the timberlines but they are heavy so I am looking at their other options for next year. I am a xxl in their base layer tops and occasionally find something that doesn’t fit like the ascent shirt was way tight across my shoulders for some weird reason. Jackets I can do xxl and xl. Xxl gives me room to layer. Xl is snug.
- Cabela’s - not always the most technical stuff but they handle the bubba crowd. So lots of options here.

It is not fat, it is power,
DJ

OP
J
I am 6’2’’ 260 and normally wear a 50 coat and 38/32 jeans. Will the Sitkas have a nice tapered opening so as to not balloon out and snag on everything when gaiters are used? I will never be a skinny jeans guy but I did buy some slim fit Duluth fire hose pants that are really nice, but cotton will be a no go on my hunting trips.

My other problem is the plumbers crack issue since I have a pretty long torso, do any of these companies offer an XXL tall? I have seen several that offer an XL tall but haven’t been able to find something that I know will keep my crack covered during a glassing session. I know with all my time wearing a ruck sack that tucking my shirt tail in was impossible without getting everything off my back.

Kotaman

WKR
Let me start by saying KUIU will probably NOT be your company. I'm 6'2 245 and KUIU fits me in XXL when I'm in "Sheep Shape", but too athletic for me most of the time. Also, for some reason KUIU is all over the board on their sizes in the big sizes. You may be a XL in one piece and a XXXL in another.

First Lite is a good option and probably as generous as anybody on sizing, I just don't love all of their pieces but they are getting better.

For me (and my shape) Sitka just works. Their XXL stuff fits me like it was made for me as do their pants in my size.

If you are looking for anything specifically, PM me and I can probably hook you up with stuff I'm currently not using for less than half price. I have a bunch of First Lite, a TON of Sitka Gear and a few pieces of KUIU.

Ya know who you wanna ask? Kendall Card at camofire and blackorvis. He knows this stuff cold. He initially helped me select my layers and nailed the sizes perfectly. Great guy. His email is Kendall Card - Camofire.com <[email protected]>. His pricing is impossible to beat too.

Not sure about the blousing issue with gaiters. Lower legs on my Sitka and first lite pants are slim.

I also find both have pretty long tail lengths in the back. Love my jetstream jacket and it has good overall length with extra at the waist in the back. My Sitka base layers have longer tails and torsos also. Fl sits a little higher on me. Easier to expose the back or something in fl.

wyosteve

WKR
I have some 3xl Black Ovis merino tops and they both fit well and are cut long to stay tucked in.

Agross

WKR
Let me start by saying KUIU will probably NOT be your company. I'm 6'2 245 and KUIU fits me in XXL when I'm in "Sheep Shape", but too athletic for me most of the time. Also, for some reason KUIU is all over the board on their sizes in the big sizes. You may be a XL in one piece and a XXXL in another.

First Lite is a good option and probably as generous as anybody on sizing, I just don't love all of their pieces but they are getting better.

For me (and my shape) Sitka just works. Their XXL stuff fits me like it was made for me as do their pants in my size.

If you are looking for anything specifically, PM me and I can probably hook you up with stuff I'm currently not using for less than half price. I have a bunch of First Lite, a TON of Sitka Gear and a few pieces of KUIU.

Great offer right there.