Best Kid Carrier Pack

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
What does everyone use for a kid carrier pack for hiking etc?

When we had our son last year I bought a decent one off of facebook. It is comfortable, and works well, but it has not other storage or straps on it. It would be a stretch to put much more than a few snacks and a jacket in the one pouch it has. I have used it quite a bit all winter, but as the days get warmer, I want to extend to more full day hikes with him, and worry there is just not enough space for a couple jackets, lunch, diapers etc, plus I would love to be able to strap a fly rod case to it, or be able to strap a shed antler on, but that is just not possible with the pack I have.

Any suggestions for something better?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have had Osprey and Dueter. Both are good. The Osprey had more storage. Neither are great packs, but certainly good enough.

The Ospreys fit smaller children better, the Dueter fits larger children than the Osprey is capable of.

Now that my youngest is 2, the Osprey got given away.

The Dueter has been stripped of its harness and belt and gets strapped to a pack frame. If I need volume, I can use a pack bag, though it is an awkward load. This is from an overnight with my (at the time) 4 year old.
20220905_134549.jpg

That is a Seek Outside pack, but it works with an Exo as well, and would likely work with other brands, I just have not used other brands.

Tagging in on this thread. I have a cheapo kid carrier pack off amazon. It worked okay for a couple of trips but is already starting to fall apart, blown out zippers, broken buckles etc. would like to find something better. My son is 2 and our second will be here in a couple of months so I would like to get something that will last.

Austink47

WKR
I agree the dueter is great, we loved it. But I would take your kids preference into account. My daughter cried every time we put her in the osprey and loved the dueter. If it had been the other way around I would be recommending the osprey or something else.

tam9492

WKR
We have both the Osprey Poco and the Kelty PerfectFIT Signature. Would recommend either of them.

Glad someone shared the link for attaching onto a real frame. I'd recommend that. We ordered every single kid carrier we could a few years ago. Tried em all on and gave a couple a test run and then kept the best. The best is still far from good IMO. If you're used to wearing a good hunting pack, you'll be disappointed in them all. I got a 34 waist and there wasn't a single brand where the hip padding came past the midpoint of my hips. We settled on a Deuter and it works alright. But I'd just buy the cheapest one that holds your kid safely and attach to a hunting frame like above.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I started with the Osprey Poco Plus. It had the best layout, the most storage, was easy to get the kid in and out, and we liked that the sun shade was built in. After using it about 5-6 times, I realized it is the most uncomfortable harness system I’ve ever used. My wife used it multiple and hated it as well. I was really surprised because Osprey packs have always been really comfortable for me in the past. Reviews show the Ospreys are uncomfortable, so it’s a common problem. We made the switch to the Deuter Kid Comfort Pro and have been extremely happy since then.

Darrack

FNG
I also had an osprey, can’t remember which one but do recommend them. The bag held up well and there was never an issue with discomfort by my son or me.

JKnight

FNG
We have an older deuter kid comfort 3 and an osprey poco plus. I carry the oldest kid in the deuter, and my wife carries the youngest in the osprey. Both of our carriers have built in sunshades, and other similar features, but prefer the deuter, while my wife likes the osprey a little better.

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
Deuter here too. My boy fell asleep a couple of times in just one trip. Snowshoed with it as well and I think it was pretty comfortable.

NickStew

FNG
Deuter has been solid for my family! And having the sunshade is really nice. Not tons of storage, but enough for day hikes. Haven’t tried an overnight trip with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk