Best Lightweight Guns

danrippa

FNG
I like the backcountry. But haven’t seen much as far as to how people shoot them at long range

danrippa

FNG
Do you guys know if the backcountry is a stainless barrel or chrome moly before the cerrakote?

My $0.02… Lightweight and 300 wby do not sound like a fun combination or the best option for long range. I think of recoil and accuracy sort of like multitasking. We all think we can do it well, but we all really suck at it.
i agree, need to figure out priorities and make the appropriate compromise. ultralight and long range don't mix for the VAST majority of us, lightweight and heavy recoil will really not apply well for long range.

lightweight, heavy recoil, and long range in the woods (not on a bench with the rifle locked into a bipod and good rear bag) isn't happening... there may be a couple outliers out there, but i wouldn't expect to be one unless you are widely known as one of the best shooters in the world.

I forgot to add this to my last post but I figured it’s probsbly better for its own post anyways. Looking for a new deer gun. Who makes the best lightweight semi custom gun? 3k budget. Thx
what do you consider lightweight? what ranges do you plan on potentially shooting in the woods?

i know they aren't flashy, but a tikka with a custom stock is a pretty solid option on the cheaper side, drop it in a magnesium xlr with carbon butt stock/grip, or a Manners, and you have a relatively lightweight rifle that's pretty easy to shoot.

i saw someone mentioned the seekins element, which is another attractive option.

Seekins... My PH2 in 300 win mag is right at 8.5 lbs scoped (no bipod, or brake). I can shave weight elsewhere, not going to do that on the rifle with a big caliber like those mentioned. Shoot, my bow is over 10 with the the quiver. Also, think that most of your shots are going to be practicing. I don't want to suffer at the range for the sake of a little weight. seekins.jpg

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
dan.with all due respect.300 wby,nosler,rum,dakota,ruger etc and really light rifle dont belong in the same sentence.unless your going to put a magnom type brake on it.so earplugs everytime you pull the trigger,or take it off and be able the recoil associated with it.not just the 1st shot but back on target quickly with follow ups if necessary.just realized there was a spelling error,also be able to handle the recoil.good luck.

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
for around 4 grand you can get a custom built by a true quality rifle builder.any ? just ask or do your research.

340bee

FNG
Another vote for Kimber in a Montana or Mountain Ascent. I have a 7-08 Montana and a 300 Win MA that both surpassed my expectations after seeing some mixed reviews

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
Weatherby Backcountry Ti 4.7lbs
Sako Carbonlight 5.5lbs
Seekins Havak Element 5.5lbs
Kimber (I don't own one, can't say)
Tikka Superlite 6ish lbs
Barrett Fieldcraft 5.5lbs (good luck)
Howa Mini Action 4.5lbs (get it in 223 and run 77gr TMKs)
If you subscribe to the 223 for elk, bear, deer & moose theory, the Howa is really all that is needed. I happen to like 6mm and 223 calibers. I own most of the above in light calibers and love them. I do own a Fierce Fury in 7RM that I enjoy, but these days I seem to have gone down Form's rabbit hole and find myself hunting with smaller calibers.