Best low power variable?

Puppy

FNG
Thoughts on best low power variable out there? really like something like a 1-6 or 2-8 but would consider 3-9. Really like German glass but flexible on that.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
I have always liked the USA made Leupold Vari-X iii 1.5-5x20. Plenty on the used market.

BIG_KUMAR

Lil-Rokslider
If you don’t have to have a true 1x, it really opens your options. Generally speaking, the scopes with 1.5x or 2x on the low end tend to have larger objectives than scopes starting at 1x. When comparing scopes of similar quality the larger objective will usually result in better low light performance and eye box.

My personal favorite right now is the old Vortex Razor LH 1.5-8x32. It does everything I could hope for in this thick brush and has enough magnification if I decide to stretch it out a little. I am sure there are similar options available that I don’t have personal experience with, but air would be looking for something in that range.

OP
P

Puppy

FNG
I am intrigued by the German Precision Optics Spectra 6x 1.5-9x32i G4i. I love a 4A reticle for a scope like this and at 17.5 oz, 13.3" length and 4" eye relief it checks a lot of boxes for me unfortunately I do not know anyone with personal experience with them.

OP
P

Puppy

FNG
Scope will be mounted on an Encore SML conversion, shooting a 275 ASG bullet over 61 gr of IMR 4198 so it has pretty substantial recoil. Intended usage range 300 yds and under most likely 150 and under but could stretch out a little.
Requirements are:
1. eye relief
2. compact and lite wt. to keep overall balance of gun (I mounted a Z5 on it for load development and ruined handling qualities)
3. must be able to stand up to the fairly heavy recoil
4. $900 range, little more won't kill me little less be great.

Kimmo H

FNG
Best depends on what you want from the optic. Widest FOV, Leica Magnus is hard to beat and its a nice scope all around with good glass and excellent illumination. I own one that sits on a combination gun, and I shoot the 12ga through the scope pretty often as the image is close to shooting with an aimpoint at 1x mag and the illumination on.

Steiner 6 and 8 are also nice, and of course Swarovski and Zeiss have good glass on them. I also have a V6 1-6x24 on a 9,3x62 and it has served me well, but the image has a certain type of greenish tint to it, so its not my favourite scope to look through.
Swarovski Z8i 1-8 is a rare example of 8x zoom ratio scopes where the image is nearly flawless on both ends of the zoom range and the eye box is still usable but they are expensive.

GPO scopes have good glass, and the 1,5-9 x32i has a optic fiber illumination, wich gives it a nice sharp look when on. We sell them at work, and from my experience they seem to be decent for their price point, but not the most durable in hard use or when used on heavier calibers.

I just called Trijicon yesterday. Discussed the Credo 1-8X FFP. Fits some of your criteria. Fails weight at 25 oz. Think durability it's up there. FFP may be a deal breaker, but it's day time bright. I would dig the reticle on your application. Price can be had for just north of your requirement.

OP
P

Puppy

FNG
Anyone have any experience with a Swarovski Habicht 1.5-6X42? Saw a used one up for sell but not sure of the wt since can't seem to find detailed specs and I know this have been out of production for a while.
Aaron

BLJ

WKR
I just got the credo HX since it was marked down to 399.00. I think its going to work great on my 375 this year.

How do you feel about the 2.6” of eye relief on the upper end of the mag range? I’ve looked at these a couple times for a possible 358 Win rebore and this was something that I always came back to as a possible concern.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
How do you feel about the 2.6” of eye relief on the upper end of the mag range? I’ve looked at these a couple times for a possible 358 Win rebore and this was something that I always came back to as a possible concern.
Honestly I havn't noticed it so I'm going to say its a non-issue. So far, it seems like its going to be a good scope for the gun. I've really only put about 30 rounds through the gun since mounting the scope but they were all really warm handloads, I shot it across all magnification ranges and didn't scope myself. Honestly, I wouldnt have noticed the eye relief was 2.6" if I hadn't read your post.

I am intrigued by the German Precision Optics Spectra 6x 1.5-9x32i G4i. I love a 4A reticle for a scope like this and at 17.5 oz, 13.3" length and 4" eye relief it checks a lot of boxes for me unfortunately I do not know anyone with personal experience with them.
You said that you were interested in German scopes. That scope is made in China.

The Meopta Optika series scopes offer a lot of bang for the buck.

OP
P

Puppy

FNG
I wasn't aware that GPO was made in China, should have researched a little better, Chinese have their hands in everything now days.