Low power scope options medium bore rifle.

LoggerDan

WKR
Could sure use some recommendations on a rifle scope. It’s been a long while since I’ve bought a new scope and there are absolutely too many options that are not relevant to my interests.

Ruger m77 375
Standard ruger bases and rings

Want a good reliable low power variable
1x4-5?
One inch tube
No bullet drop or turret nonsense
Standard thick duplex or heavy German post reticle

My last few scopes were Leupold gold ring fixed fours, and I’m inclined towards them as a brand, but I sure am open to new ways of doing things and other folks good experiences.

This is strictly an AK rifle for moose, brown and black bear, wolves, whatever. From up close to 300 yds or so.

Thanks

• Banned
OP
LoggerDan

LoggerDan

WKR
Wellsir, I’m not really wanting to swap out stuff. What Ruger made and supplied is fine by my needs. A 30mil really isn’t my cup of coffee or what I’m after.

I don’t buy guns to buy parts for. If it ain’t what I’m needing I don’t buy it. I buy parts for my jeep and my chopper; not my rifle.

Last edited:

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just looked and Steiner, Sightmark, Meopta, Athlon, NF, Sightron & GPO don't have any 1" 1-anythings. All are 30mm tube scopes

Scottf270

WKR
My Ruger 375 wears a simple 1.5-6x32 Vari x iii with a heavy duplex reticle. Two moose and a Kodiak to it's credit. From 25 yards to 210 yards.

I know opinions on Leupold vary greatly but this scope has been flawless as a set it and forget it optic.

I’m ignoring the few 308 drop marks. It’s the closest thing to a simple Leupold firedot. Only the exact centre pin point illuminates. Happy with the green. SFP

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Any reason why it needs to be variable?

I killed two deer last year at 30 yards and 50 yards in the woods with a fixed 6.

Two weeks later I killed a deer at 480 yards and my rifle was used to kill another deer at 530 yards on the same trip. Fixed 6 as well.

TaperPin

WKR
I had a 1-1/2x5 vx3 on a 340 Weatherby and a 375 h&h - always reliable and never had a problem with 500-600 rounds. On Kodiak I don’t know if it was any better than a fixed 4x - even if it was turned down to 1-1/2x, with the scope caps on it felt as useful as a 12x. With scope caps off water on the lenses was a constant issue. Detachable Talleys were nice and that rifle had the scope on as much as off.

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
Could sure use some recommendations on a rifle scope. It’s been a long while since I’ve bought a new scope and there are absolutely too many options that are not relevant to my interests.

Ruger m77 375
Standard ruger bases and rings

Want a good reliable low power variable
1x4-5?
One inch tube
No bullet drop or turret nonsense
Standard thick duplex or heavy German post reticle

My last few scopes were Leupold gold ring fixed fours, and I’m inclined towards them as a brand, but I sure am open to new ways of doing things and other folks good experiences.

This is strictly an AK rifle for moose, brown and black bear, wolves, whatever. From up close to 300 yds or so.

Thanks
If you can find a used vortex LH 1.5-8, they are great. It’s not illuminated but very lightweight and handy. I have one on my browning lever in 308.

Dennis

WKR
On my medium rifles (9.3X62 and 375 H&H) I run Leupold 1.5-5 scopes with heavy duplex crosshairs. I also run a Leupold 2.5 with heavy duplex on a 375 H&H and 458 Win Mag. The the 9.3X62 and 458 are set up with Talley detachable rings and a quick attach peep sights. I do have the CDS system on at least one 1.5-5 Leupold scopes to stretch out to 400 yards which works well on the range, but I have never used it in the field hunting. I have shot game out to 325 yards with the heavy duplex crosshairs and they worked just fine on large game.

I’d move up to 30mm rings. I’ve been using a Trijicon credo hx 1-6 with the bdc reticle. Reticle is bold enough for the woods. Eye relief is good up to 5x not so great at 6x.

Spoonbill

WKR
Trijicon makes a german #4 reticle in a 1-6 accupoint, it is a 30mm not a 1” tube though. I have a 1-4 leupold with a 1” tube I would consider selling. Send me a pm if you are interested.