7PRC/7mm rem over 300 prc

Not as accurately as they do a 6cm.

I thought this was rokslide, where we acknowledge virtually no one shoots heavy recoil as well as they shoot low recoil. And bullets in lethal areas are better than cannon balls that miss or hit in the gut.
You're making a lot of assumptions..
I'm not against using a lighter recoiling rifle, but it's getting pretty annoying seeing everyone go with the smallest lightest cartridge combo possible just to prove some sort of point.

If you're into that well cool, but don't make stupid comparisons about guys with magnums making gut shots.

So after carrying and owning my 300 PRC for a few years, and after seeing my hunting partner bring his new 7PRC out to Idaho for our elk/mule deer trip and put down one of each - I’m honestly considering the leap. I’ll preface - I am looking into factory rifle options and factory ammo (for now). After shooting my buddies browning, and seeing the speed SR versions available (as I plan to hunt dedicated suppressed), I’m likely snagging one in either 7mm rem or 7PRC.

The 7PRC is 20”, and the 7 rem mag version is a 22” with 1:8 twist, which should stabilize heavier bullets (if I wanted to get something from UM or copper creek) or stick with factory options. I hate relying on one manufacturer for ammo, and have lived through this with my 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC already. But I’ve seen several recommendations for 7PRC if I don’t already own a 7mm. Should I just snag the prc and hope for more ammo options in the future?

Or am I just short sighted to ditch my 300prc for 7mm?
There's nothing wrong with a 7mm if it's just a want, it's not going to do anything better than your 300 prc though.

If you're going suppressed recoil between the two cartridges is negligible unless you're going ultralight.
Whatever you do get the shortest barrel possible, I consider 20" too long with a can

OP
Ajsomp

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
There's nothing wrong with a 7mm if it's just a want, it's not going to do anything better than your 300 prc though.

If you're going suppressed recoil between the two cartridges is negligible unless you're going ultralight.
Whatever you do get the shortest barrel possible, I consider 20" too long with a can
I have often been recommended not to go shorter than 22” with 300 PRC- and I don’t even see any options other than complete custom for a 20” barrel, and so far 20” is the shortest factory option for 7PRC I can find - as well as I’m not sure I’d be getting the velocities I’d want shorter than 20 inches. But I get what you’re saying- throwing on a 6-7” suppressor to your gun strapped to your pack can become annoying/cumbersome.

ElPollo

WKR
I only keep the copper monos in mind as I might have an opportunity for an elk hunt next year in California - so although not my top choice, I’d have to keep that in mind. It’s also not that being limited by bullet choices is bad - but like I said before- I’ve seen what happens when ammo from the one manufacturer becomes scarce. I remember when Mile high was selling 212 eld-x 300 prc for $70+ per box simply because it wasn’t available.

I have no doubt the UM options are fantastic - saw a few they had up for sale recently. I’m just not looking to spend another 3k on a rifle that I use once or twice a year. I’d rather spend the money on tags or a honestly. Especially when most factory guns now are shooting Moa or better with factory ammo.

I mean at the time I switched from a 300wm Christensen Arms to 300 prc because I was still subscribed to “must have a 30 cal magnum for elk” mantra. I’ve since seen elk killed with 6.5 prc, 7PRC, 300wm, 300 prc and all produced results within reasonable and ethical ranges. I have no intention of shooting an animal over 1000 consistently. Do I have the capability as a shooter - yes. Thankful for my work experience which gave me a good foundation for long range hunting. But to the point of 300 PRC - if I’m hunting ultralight why beat myself up if I’m going to try to keep shots 600 and in? Only reason I considered 7PRC is that browning has the speed sr in 20” which paired with a suppressor makes for a lightweight and capable package. Now, I’m not married to the cartridge or the gun itself - but out the gate it seemed like a decent option that fit my parameters - light, shorter barrel to hunt suppressed, factory option under 1500.
If you have to use non-lead, you might consider the DRT bullets. They did impressive work on the bull in this post.

Gila

WKR
I have often been recommended not to go shorter than 22” with 300 PRC- and I don’t even see any options other than complete custom for a 20” barrel, and so far 20” is the shortest factory option for 7PRC I can find - as well as I’m not sure I’d be getting the velocities I’d want shorter than 20 inches. But I get what you’re saying- throwing on a 6-7” suppressor to your gun strapped to your pack can become annoying/cumbersome.
If you use a Slik Sling, you won’t even know it’s back there. Most factory rifles chambered in the 300 magnums come with a 26” barrel anyway.

Yeah 20" will do fine, I built a 19" 300 Norma Mag ai for out to 1k.
Sending 225 eldms at 2750 is plenty fast for expansion at 1100 yards.
I also have an 18" 7-300wsm improved and get 2800 with 180s.

Run your numbers and figure the max range you'd like to reach with 1800 fps impact velocity.

Mtk6888

FNG
Both rifles are awesome. I'm more partial to the 300 prc as that's what I shoot. 30" barrel bench gun shooting Hornady 212 about 3100

WRO

WKR
You're making a lot of assumptions..
I'm not against using a lighter recoiling rifle, but it's getting pretty annoying seeing everyone go with the smallest lightest cartridge combo possible just to prove some sort of point.

If you're into that well cool, but don't make stupid comparisons about guys with magnums making gut shots.

The pellet gun special Olympians can not be questioned..

180ls1

WKR
If you had an F350 would you sell it for a F250?

I'd just keep the 300 since you have it. If you were buying new and didn't have a gun sounds like the 7prc is a better fit.

Shadowden

FNG
Appreciate the thoughts provided in this thread. I was coming at it from an interest in buying a rifle in a modern cartridge to eventually replace my 30-06. I was thinking staying in the 30 cal family, but also want reduced recoil and plan to use a silencer. So the 300 PRC doesn't look like a great candidate.

I know some folks can handle recoil better than others, but I really like the idea of having a 30 round range day without a bruised shoulder.