Best Method You've Got to Fire Up the Wood Stove Fast in the Morning?

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
Gonna be taking my Four Dog stove and wall tent for a base camp setup for 3rd season rifle in Colorado next week. This will be my first time using a wood stove like this and am anticipating some cold mornings getting out of bed. Wanted to know what you folks do to get the stove ripping as quick as possible in the mornings. Let's assume there is not a bed of coals still hot from the night before.

Thanks!

SWOHTR

WKR
I haven’t used one, but I would imagine:

1. Light it the night before.
2. Use hot coals.

Have you at least tried the stove out before you get to camp? Ie light it at home?

Trial153

WKR
There is no short cuts. Have a nest or kindling with a fire starter under it and ready to go the night before. Then have a hand full of slightly larger dry wood to load on top as soon as your kindle is going strong.
A good fire starter like pyro putty is worth it for the ease of use and burn time.

LaHunter

WKR
The little fire starter sticks that you can buy at WalMart work well at starting a fire with no coals.

Best thing is to load the stove up full with wood as you go to bed and cut the air flow inlet down to restrict the rate of burn. This will extend the burn time, but the fire will not put out nearly as much heat. If you get up in the night to take a leak, fill it up again. This should keep a few coals in there by morning when you get up, then you can put a few logs in there and it will get burning quickly.

Another thing you can do is have a Buddy Heater and fire that up when you wake up to warm the tent until the fire in the stove gets burning.

tdot

WKR
Take a map gas torch.

This... or any small propane torch that the plumbers use. (Not the little micro torches)

If you're bringing a wall tent, it's only an extra 2 pounds and very fast.

Other thing I've done is make little pucks of wood shavings (not dust). Take an old tart tray or muffin tin, pack the shavings in there, poor melted paraffin wax in there to encase the wood. The longer you keep the wax liquid the more it soaks into the wood.

Vaseline and cotton balls are lightweight and work well too.

mlgc20

WKR
I thinks is well worth the little effort it takes to fire up the stove when its cold out.

Then I would love to have you in my elk camp. I usually set my alarm for about 7 minutes before it's time to roll out of camp. Even if I lit the stove when I first got up, it would t make a dent in the cold.

JG358

WKR
Then I would love to have you in my elk camp. I usually set my alarm for about 7 minutes before it's time to roll out of camp. Even if I lit the stove when I first got up, it would t make a dent in the cold.
I always figured the guys liked having me in camp because of my charming personality and my woodsmanship but now that you said that it could very well just be they like walking up to a warm tipi.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk