Best optics cleaner, pen or cloth?

deer310sg

Lil-Rokslider
What do you guys recommend for cleaning lenses at home or in the field? Have a Nikon lense pen I've used for years, probably needs replaced. Or the stock cleaning cloth that comes standard in most optic boxes?

I like the lens pen best. Trick is to fog up lens with breath and use the pen in a circular motion. Makes the glass look brand new.

If at home I use water, the a can of computer air.

In the field I use computer air, then a ziess lens cloth. A box is like $12

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
Im sure ill get in trouble (Sigh) I use compressed air. Low PSI 5-10, NEVER directly on the glass. I then have a special microfiber that lives in a ziploc; never touched anything but glass and my hands. Ive found that air removes the large dust particles, if you dont get those out then when you use a pen or a rag you will swirl or scratch the glass. I carry a can of computer air in the field and clean them out. I find this helps clean the eyecups and around the rubber well.

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
The soft bristles from a pen not recommended ?
Ive never understood how these things would not scratch your lense? If you study the process of polishing vehicles (yeah im a nerd); a detailer wouldnt take a brush of any sort really to clearcoat on a car. Why would you take a brush to a specialized (potentially $3,000.00) piece of glass?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You get a box of 100 of the individually wrapped Zeiss lenses cleaners wipes for like $5. I keep a couple of them in my bino harness and a few more usually stashed somewhere in one of my pouches in my pack.

OP
deer310sg

deer310sg

Lil-Rokslider
Ive never understood how these things would not scratch your lense? If you study the process of polishing vehicles (yeah im a nerd); a detailer wouldnt take a brush of any sort really to clearcoat on a car. Why would you take a brush to a specialized (potentially $3,000.00) piece of glass?
Yep I get it. I will throw mine away now!

Macintosh

WKR
I've always deferred to manufacturer recommendations, or info like the below link. since they recommend a blower and brush as a primary means of cleaning, and the handful of professional photographers I've worked with in the past all used brush/blower on their expensive lenses, I am curious what it is folks are concerned about with the brushes? I may be missing something or we may be talking about different brushes, but am curious what the perspective is.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...8&cnxclid=17144039965820579868616891172008005

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep I get it. I will throw mine away now!
Camel hair brushes are the standard professional photographers use. Your way more likely to scratch the glass using a cloth(pick up a debris on the cloth and rub it around the lens) than a quality brush.

I use a air puffer, brush, and lens cloth in the field. I only use water on lens when at home.

I would never ever use a lens pen

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
Air puffer, brush and lens cloth in field like others.

For an actual clean clean, puff of air, brush to remove large particles dust etc. Then isopropyl alcohol. If you have hard water stains mix water and white vinegar clean once...then clean again with Isopropyl as the vinegar will leave streaks. I never put the liquids/spray directly on the lens. Take Kimtech Wipe fold it into a Right Triangle basically. Dab the bottom edge of the wipe into the "solvent". Start at the center of the lens wiping in a continuous circle to the outside edge. use the very tip of the triangle to get right to the edge of the lens.

Antares

WKR
You get a box of 100 of the individually wrapped Zeiss lenses cleaners wipes for like $5. I keep a couple of them in my bino harness and a few more usually stashed somewhere in one of my pouches in my pack.

You ever notice those Zeiss wipes leaving weird water spots? I used to use them a lot until I notice spots.

I only do two things now:

1) maintenance = compressed air to keep the dust in check; or

2) cleaning = dish soap, cool running water, and my finger (I try to do this as infrequently as possible).

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You ever notice those Zeiss wipes leaving weird water spots? I used to use them a lot until I notice spots.

I only do two things now:

1) maintenance = compressed air to keep the dust in check; or

2) cleaning = dish soap, cool running water, and my finger (I try to do this as infrequently as possible).
Sometimes yes, but a wipe down with a dry lense cloth immediately following the Zeiss wipes and zero issues.

I use the blower to get as much off followed by the pen. If there is still stuff on there, I hit it with lens spray and or one of the moistened zeiss wipes followed by the blower again. Keeps my glass looking brand new.