Best Pheasant/Grouse/Family Dog

WKR
Have had labs, brittanies, a griffon, and a couple drahthaars. For a guy looking for a low shedding, chill dog, that hunts, based on my experience I'd find a good griffon breeder. Mine lived to 14 and we all still tell stories about him and miss him.

Drahthaars have been great when kids have visited but they are at a different prey drive level and need for activity level. And they shed a ton. Just my experiences and I love all dogs. Pick a good one!

Penny4.jpg
We really enjoy our English Setter which is what I was raised with growing up as well. She is great with our 3 year old daughter and an amazing bird dog. Sheds a bit but she's worth the extra cleaning time.

Reactions: WRO
I don't think there has ever been a pointing lab that has placed in all age FT either.

I don't get the whole German Swiss army knife approach to dogs. Get a dog that excels at what it’s bred for rather than one that does everything mediocre.
Many Jazztiime labs are pointers and had their afc/fc title. Gamble betting on black is a FC and comes from pointing lines. I don’t know if he points.

WRO

WKR
Many Jazztiime labs are pointers and had their afc/fc title. Gamble betting on black is a FC and comes from pointing lines. I don’t know if he points.

I'm not talking about retrieving games, I'm talking about the big show..

I've never seen a lab at a pointing dog FT run.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
GSP's are the best. Great pointers, retrievers, including water fowl, and great family dog. They love everyone.

WPFY543

FNG
The guys telling you pudelpointer and wirehaired pointing griffon are spot on for a family dog first that is also a very serious hunting companion. We have a WPG (that I got off Rokslide) and he is the best all around dog I've ever had (having had labs and a brittany) - great off switch in the house, hunts as hard as a guy with 10 other hobbies can push him, and generally is a thinker. WPG is, in my opinion, a lower maintenance pointer which may not hunt as hard as a GSP or a GWP, and he still requires a lot of work. I'm willing to admit that most well trained GSPs will out hunt him, but not by much.

Here are three traps I would encourage you (or the next guy reading this thread) to avoid.

1) buy a super cute lab with good blood lines, don't run him everyday or teach him solid obedience, overfeed him until October and then bring him out to the field and run him into the ground. I see it every year. He'll hunt himself to exhaustion because that what labs do, but their easy going nature makes them really easy to train... starting tomorrow.

2) buy a super cute GSP with good blood lines, don't run him 5+ miles per day off leash (not a fast walk or a dog park), and then watch him self destruct because of a lack of stimulation and too little exercise. when you bring him out in early Oct, watch him run to the next county while you yell his name and hit the easy button without proper conditioning. Everyone says GSPs are amazing for a reason, but the folks that say that put a lot of time into making them the companions that they are.

3) buy a GWP if you aren't serious about training every weekend year round. A GWP will out hunt most, if not all, breeds. They are damn good at what they do for a reason but that also means they can run a little hot. I hunt with one all fall and he hangs out with my family, but I always keep my eye on him in case he decides to chew my arm off. GWPs are great for some guys, but not all guys.

At the end of the day, be realistic about the time, money, and available resources (land, birds, etc) that you can dedicate year round to the dog and pick a breed that aligns with that criteria.

Txarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I noticed most people who said Brittany did not address the shedding portion of your post. I love my French Brittany and is a great family dog good with kids. I have two toddler grand daughters and an infant one, she is great with all. She also only sheds twice a year, 6mos in the summer and 6mos in the winter. If you can get a medium coat Pudelpointer that is probably the best bet.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I noticed most people who said Brittany did not address the shedding portion of your post. I love my French Brittany and is a great family dog good with kids. I have two toddler grand daughters and an infant one, she is great with all. She also only sheds twice a year, 6mos in the summer and 6mos in the winter. If you can get a medium coat Pudelpointer that is probably the best bet.
My brother had Brittanies. He said the same thing about the barking. 6 months of barking followed by 6 months of barking.

CRJR45

WKR
Weimaraner all day long ! I've had two great hunters , both retrieved Woodcock , a lot of dogs won't . Great pets and hard hunters . Just don't expect to ever go to the bathroom alone again , ever .IMG_2983.jpg

Last edited:
Partial to the pointing labs myself. Great hunters, retriever and companion. As with any breed, knowing what you want in a dog and researching bloodlines is important.

My brother had Brittanies. He said the same thing about the barking. 6 months of barking followed by 6 months of barking.
Ive got one that barks and makes noise 24/7. If not barking he is grumbling about something. Now in his old age i think hes loosing his hearing and barks as loud as possible alot more than before. the other two dont make a noise unless someone walks up to our house.

Currently have a Drahthaar and a GSP. If you’re looking for a family dog, I’d recommend a Griff or GSP.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
Wirehair Pointing Griffon. I say that but I don’t want this breed over done like others. They work, but not like labs and goldens - gifts are more a mental game. They will shut off if you get too harsh with them. I have two from the same breeder. One doesn’t shed at all, one does - same breeder just different fathers. They are driven to hunt. One stalks fish, the other anything but fish. They do need more exercise than my last few dogs (lab & golden) or they let you know by being a bit wild

Attachments

• IMG_9662.jpeg
    IMG_9662.jpeg
    652.2 KB · Views: 22
  • D796E403-FD7F-4C13-80E6-D34105D7213C.jpeg
    D796E403-FD7F-4C13-80E6-D34105D7213C.jpeg
    550.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 571B5BA7-1E47-4BE1-B08C-D4741189B41B.jpeg
    571B5BA7-1E47-4BE1-B08C-D4741189B41B.jpeg
    612.1 KB · Views: 21
@PAPAROD did you ever decide on a dog ? Reading through this gave me some good chuckles, it's good to see people so passionate about their opinions ! From my experience, there is no #1 breed , there are only #1 dogs. I have seen litter mates from multiple breeds ( labs/drahts/GSP) all be very different from one another, one pup was amazing, the litter mate so-so. I have seen straight up muts out hunt high dollar dogs that were professionally trained. Pick a breed that that checks all your boxes, find a reputable breeder and put in the time! I have a 4 year old PudelPointer now, and have nothing but good things to say about them. My wife was never a dog lover (we have had many dogs, many breeds) , but after owning this dog, she wants another one, or two or three if I would let her !