WTB Looking for a bow for a young archer

PhilipC

FNG
Hi guys,

I’m looking for a bow for a 14yo. He’s a great kid. Never hunted until last season when I took him and his older brother on a NorCal backcountry blacktail hunt with me. We ended up having an epic time and I killed a nice 3 x 3 with the bow, while him and his brother watched it go down

Needless to say the 2 young men are hooked. The younger brother loves archery. I gifted him my wife’s bow, but it’s a lefty and I feel bad for getting him started on the wrong gear.

Does anyone out there have a bow they want to part with for not too much money? The kid is a freakin stud, top 50 CrossFitter under 15 worldwide so he can draw a grown man’s bow.

If I had to guess his specs (and I’ve been shooting bows for 20 years, so I have a decent idea) I would say 50-60 pounds and 27 or 27.5 DL

Let’s help get this kid in the field with his own bow instead of just being an observer.

Appreciate it fellas

Philip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider

Get him a drop away rest, better 3-5 pin fixed sight, and a good thumb release (or back tension release), and he's off to the races. I shot this same bow for several years when I started, and didn't know my draw length and how heavy I wanted to shoot. Eventually I realized I should have been shooting lefty the whole time (cross eye dominate) and changed up my entire set up when I understood my gears limitations and what I wanted. Very glad I didn't invest a lot of money into my first bow, and it made me realize you don't need expensive gear to be an accurate archer. I kept mine mostly stock and felt very confident out to 50 yards with a whisker biscuit. He won't outgrow this bow until he has enough skill to understand what he wants.

OP
PhilipC

PhilipC

FNG

Get him a drop away rest, better 3-5 pin fixed sight, and a good thumb release (or back tension release), and he's off to the races. I shot this same bow for several years when I started, and didn't know my draw length and how heavy I wanted to shoot. Eventually I realized I should have been shooting lefty the whole time (cross eye dominate) and changed up my entire set up when I understood my gears limitations and what I wanted. Very glad I didn't invest a lot of money into my first bow, and it made me realize you don't need expensive gear to be an accurate archer. I kept mine mostly stock and felt very confident out to 50 yards with a whisker biscuit. He won't outgrow this bow until he has enough skill to understand what he wants.

Appreciate the response. It’s funny that you posted a link to this bow, because it’s actually the same model I gave him, albeit a lefty and he’s right handed. Bought it for my wife and she hadn’t shot it in a few years

I guess I should also be more clear in my ask. I am looking to buy a bow for the young man, or if someone is generous enough, pay the shipping on a bow. I know there are lots of guys out there with multiple older bows that would work great for the kid and they won’t get much money for the older bows in the classifieds.

I guess this is my effort to grow the hunting community by introducing the right kind of people into it. These 2 brothers are great kids and I would love to get them hooked on the outdoors, but I can’t justify spending a lot of money on a bow for him.

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the response. It’s funny that you posted a link to this bow, because it’s actually the same model I gave him, albeit a lefty and he’s right handed. Bought it for my wife and she hadn’t shot it in a few years

I guess I should also be more clear in my ask. I am looking to buy a bow for the young man, or if someone is generous enough, pay the shipping on a bow. I know there are lots of guys out there with multiple older bows that would work great for the kid and they won’t get much money for the older bows in the classifieds.

I guess this is my effort to grow the hunting community by introducing the right kind of people into it. These 2 brothers are great kids and I would love to get them hooked on the outdoors, but I can’t justify spending a lot of money on a bow for him.

Confusing response. That Diamond is a great bow. I get that you want to give him something nice, but for a lot of reasons, like being a growing kid and getting used to the same set up that will adjust to him as he gets bigger and stronger would be top among them. I have a flagship Mathews bow with extremely nice gear on it, and still find myself going back and shooting my old Diamond for fun and being an ambidextrous shooter. Sounds like you want something nicer. Good luck on search!

OP
PhilipC

PhilipC

FNG
Sorry if that’s confusing, I would be totally fine with a diamond if someone had a right handed one for sale at a good price. The main thing is getting him a right handed bow

I know he can learn to shoot left handed no problem, but he is right eye dominant and he’s going to be a better archer and better hunter if he starts shooting right handed

Jon S

Lil-Rokslider
Where are you located? I might have a pose stinger 3g, I think it’s 50-60 lbs and I draw 29.5 I think.

I have a 60-70 lb PSE Stealth Carbon Air that he can have. I'll even split the shipping with you if your interested. Just the bare bow.

Jesseb

WKR
I have a bowtech btx 28 listed here. Very easily tuned. Set it in the comfort mode and turn down the limbs. then it can be turned up as he grows and gets better at archery. It’s a lot of bow for the money and has a good drop away rest and quiver, just add sight. It’s fast and accurate and killed my 2023 bull no problem.

OP
PhilipC

PhilipC

FNG
Gents, thank you for the responses. Craig very kindly offered to gift him a bow. A massive thank you to him.

I’ll be closing the thread since it’s no longer needed. This is what the community is all about. Appreciate you all.

Cheers,
Philip

OP
PhilipC

PhilipC

FNG
I have a 60-70 lb PSE Stealth Carbon Air that he can have. I'll even split the shipping with you if your interested. Just the bare bow.

Craig, you’re the man! Amazing generosity. Thank you so much.

Craigs only condition is that I get the young man a Pope and Young membership, which of course I will do.