Best Podcast series for beginners.

Hey friends!

A friend of mine is very curious about elk hunting and interested in some good content to help him get his feet underneath him prior to his first season in the field. I listen to a ton of podcasts on Elk Hunt, but I cannot think of a Podcast series that would be the best to give to a beginner that really breaks down the basics of elk hunting. Think tag and location selection, scouting, finding elk, calling elk, etc.

Anything jumped to mind? Thanks in advance!

CMF

WKR
I jump around by searching for whatever particular interest I have that day. I can't think of any that I've listen to every episode or have series like you're talking about. General - Remi, Phelps, Hunt backcountry, -for calling - any podcast Elknut has been on. Application, E scout- Jay scott, newberg

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
I think the older Rich outdoors podcasts are the best ones,real guys who know how to kill elk and aren't promoting something . There was a time I would listen to lots of elk podcasts but I'm tired of listening to guys who have less experience than me or who are just selling a product or online course.

Hey friends!

A friend of mine is very curious about elk hunting and interested in some good content to help him get his feet underneath him prior to his first season in the field. I listen to a ton of podcasts on Elk Hunt, but I cannot think of a Podcast series that would be the best to give to a beginner that really breaks down the basics of elk hunting. Think tag and location selection, scouting, finding elk, calling elk, etc.

Anything jumped to mind? Thanks in advance!
Randy Newberg has a ton of good videos for specific topics from rifles and ammo to various gear and even tag strategies. Such a well spoken and humble guy!

DFloTN

FNG
Was in the same situation a few years back and enjoyed some of the Hunt Backcountry podcasts and found them helpful. Cutting the Distance - was Remi, then Jason Phelps as I recall - is also good. Also agree the Elk101 stuff is good for the visuals.

In reality, for me, a lot of the detailed tips and strategy seem to go out the window when I’m hunting so I guess the elk don’t listen to the same podcasts. Not that the podcasts are bad, I just have trouble personally applying them in practice so they’re more entertainment and background.

My hunts always remind me of Tyson’s “everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bz_711

WKR
Elknut for calling...but for a beginner with zero experience I'd start with either Brian Barney (Eastman's Elevated) or Remi (Live Wild).

I didn't podcast when I started looking back in '09...so I got most of what I needed from Rokslide. Dig deep...it's all here. Good Luck!

OP
KennethDeemer
Was in the same situation a few years back and enjoyed some of the Hunt Backcountry podcasts and found them helpful. Cutting the Distance - was Remi, then Jason Phelps as I recall - is also good. Also agree the Elk101 stuff is good for the visuals.

In reality, for me, a lot of the detailed tips and strategy seem to go out the window when I’m hunting so I guess the elk don’t listen to the same podcasts. Not that the podcasts are bad, I just have trouble personally applying them in practice so they’re more entertainment and background.

My hunts always remind me of Tyson’s “everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The elk don't listen to the podcasts 🤣

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Corey Jacobson and Randy Newberg on Elk Talk podcast. A few older episodes with Corey on other podcasts come to mind.. like some of the old Gritty Bowmen episodes where he was a guest. Remi Warren for sure. And some older Kifarucast episodes come to mind too not just for hunting tips, but backcountry/ woodsmanship tips as well since that will all be part of the experience too. Find some older episodes where Aron sits down with John Barklow and listen up.