Best practices for back country hygiene, clothing, and campwear.

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a weekend worrior with an 8 day backpack hunt on the books for this November. I’ll be targeting whitetail, so scent control is a concern. Temperature will likely be 20°-50°F.

I guess my question is; how do you balance the need for low-scent and overall cleanliness with keeping your load light?

One set of clothes for hunting, one for lounging around base camp? Wash and hang clothes? Wipes and sprays? Just looking for inspiration on how to prepare for my first extended backpack trip.

Work the wind.

I like body wipes and wet wipes for general hygiene. Enough for every other day. combo of wet wipes and tp for latrine needs.

clothing that won’t hold stink helps.

Rich M

WKR
I've got a pack of scent control "baby wipes" for adults and it keeps the junk clean. Otherwise, play the wind just like you would normally.

Vandy321

WKR
Even with body wipes and antiperspirant, I've found i can still stink up a sitka base layer top when its warm (so much for polygene working). Plan to bring some small travel soap on this year's elk hunt and wash my base layers every few days and let it air dry while I get a quick mid day nap in.

mtholton

FNG
Certain Dri is amazing stuff. Start using it the week prior to the trip. Apply it all over feet and clean pits before you go to bed. Then at night while hunting, wipe down with body wipes, then apply certain dri before bed then just regular scent free anti pers in morn. I use it for both elk and deer hunting when we are staying in our camper with no water access. Not only does it cut down on sweat because and the associated scent, it keeps your feet warmer because they don't get sweaty..... Boots stay fresher longer etc...

Reactions: chk

RafterH

FNG
Agree with isu22andy above. I do use unscented wipes to cut it down a little. An old WT doe smelling you and blowing can really ruin a hunt.

Hooverfb

Lil-Rokslider
I just bring a small can/jar/box of baking soda. Maybe a small thing of rubbing alcohol. Baking soda can be used to clean, keep stink away/dry. Rubbing alcohol doubles as disinfectant and cleaner.

I will take along a wash cloth, toothbrush, and TP/wipes for the toilet, a couple changes of socks, 1 change of underwear and shirt. That's about it. I just let myself get gross and play the wind.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Play the wind. I always wear merino underwear and shirt. To bed and hunting. Amazing how little smell I generate when wearing merino, even when it’s 75+ degrees and I’m sweating from dawn until dusk.

dtrkyman

WKR
A nice smokey fire, I do not try and stay scent free on a backpack hunt, just not possible. Sage works really well.

jip40

FNG
I wish they didn't stop putting alcohol in baby wipes, hard to find any that are scentless now

We do a sponge bath each night after a hunt. Warm up a little creek water up in a pot and do a sponge bath with some non-scent soap in a wash bin. Bins are cheap, stack-able and come in handy. $2.00 at Walmart.

1600055007870.png

BluMtn

WKR
Where I hunt in November it is usually 0 to -20. So I don't worry about sent control, just staying warm is my main concern.

dtrkyman

WKR
That interesting idea!
Juniper is known to have great antimicrobial qualities as well, I think any wood would work but green fir of any kind smokes like crazy, it also feels good on a cool or cold weather hunt to stand in some hot smoke!

I hit my feet every time I have a fire, smoke my boots also.

Yarcher

FNG
Wash cloth, scent free baby wipes eash night. More for our own noses than the animals. We stink and we know it.