Best Puffy?

cck

FNG
Looking at going a different direction with my puffy jacket and curious what everybody else is running. I currently have the Kuiu Super Down Ultra, and I like it. The weight is great and it’s pretty warm in most situations, but every single time I wear it it seems like I lose a handful of down feathers, and kys definitely not as warm as it used to be with 3 years of feather loss at this point. Any recommendations? Grumman, kuiu, Kifaru?

JJ1179

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Why not contact Kuiu and see if they will warranty it? I own several Kuiu puffy jackets and haven’t had any issues with them. I own the burner and that is quite the jacket.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Im a huge fan of my Patagonia puffy, very lightweight and packable and warm for its weight. I wear it under a thin softshell if needed to protect it from brush and that combination is very flexible to layer with. Not a hunting brand but the quality is there and I havent been losing any down.

DESERT ED

FNG
Im a huge fan of my Patagonia puffy, very lightweight and packable and warm for its weight. I wear it under a thin softshell if needed to protect it from brush and that combination is very flexible to layer with. Not a hunting brand but the quality is there and I havent been losing any down.
This. And their warranty is top notch.

mcseal2

WKR
I have not had that problem with the Kuiu Superdown Pro jacket or pants. I also have an old Marmot puffy I've had for years I got for $80 off Ebay that has worked really well. I've worn it for work and it's seen a lot of use in the winter, but usually under a shell.

depends what you are looking for?
are you looking for another Ultralight Puffy replacement? or just a puffy.

ultralight options-
Mountain hardware Ghost
Stone glacier grumman light

wnelson14

WKR
If I was getting a new puffy it would be
Canis Down Jacket,
Stellar ultralight Down Jacket.
Or the Paka jacket.
Currently have the Sitka Kelvin down and it’s great.

ritter26

FNG
I've had trouble finding a good one that's somewhat durable. I've had the Super Down ULTRA KUIU. I had trouble with the zipper and they did warranty it and send me a new one. I was wearing it when I fell off a bicycle, it shredded and I never got a new one. For hunts, I'm still using the original First lite uncompahgre but it has 4-5 patches on it.

Another vote for the Kifaru LLP full zip. I have the KUIU Ultra Down, Kenai as well as a couple cheaper ones. But always end up taking my Kifaru Parka. Even though it’s not the lightest or most compress-able. I lived in it in AK and stayed warm in the wind.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at going a different direction with my puffy jacket and curious what everybody else is running. I currently have the Kuiu Super Down Ultra, and I like it. The weight is great and it’s pretty warm in most situations, but every single time I wear it it seems like I lose a handful of down feathers, and kys definitely not as warm as it used to be with 3 years of feather loss at this point. Any recommendations? Grumman, kuiu, Kifaru?
Odd your losing feathers every wear.
I would look at brands in the mountaineering community. They've been making puffy down coats for way longer than the hunting community, none of my mountaineering puffys have lost that much down and I have some jackets that are very old now.

Lowg08

WKR
I know it’s not a popular choice but it’s hard to beat the under armour alpine ops. I’m able to bow hunt whitetail in it and it’s really warm. Some how it’s engineered I don’t feel the wind. Wore it at shooting practice and we had a stiff 15-20 mph wind and I never felt it through it. The outer is really quiet but seems like a thicker material inside.

*zap*

WKR
never used the alpine ops but it looked like a winner to me....definitely want a hood on a puffy jacket unless it is for around town.

Lowg08

WKR
never used the alpine ops but it looked like a winner to me....definitely want a hood on a puffy jacket unless it is for around town.
I’m very pleased. Pleasantly surprised. It’s a great jacket. I even got the pants too. I can put the pants and jacket in my monster fanny pack and still have room. If I didn’t have to pack all mine out. It would be the way I would go.

h2so4

WKR
I have/had a Forloh down vest first. I really like it so I got a full sleeve forloh puffy jacket two years ago. I love it as well. I wore it as the outer layer on a crawling stalk and didn't have any issues with it catching or getting tore up. My wife liked wearing mine so much, she got her own this year as well.

I also have the Kifaru LPP full zip. It’s bigger fitting, but great as well. It’s different than my other puffy jackets and still warm.
I like both styles and will keep both on in the closet.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have had a kuiu super down pro for 5 plus years, bought the Grumman for fun and bought the mrs the Montbell bell alpine. I pack the kuiu and no tears and minimal loss of feathers. best warmth of the three is the Montbell but likely never packing that thing too far. Makes me think of ralphie in Christmas stories brother 🤣 and George in seinfield with the Puffy coat🤣 None of them would last going through brush as not their design. Best bang for buck Montbell and warmest but also most weight and volume to pack.

mattg65

FNG
I’ve had both the Superdown Ultra and the Pro for a few years and haven’t had that issue, I’d contact Kuiu and see if they will help you out.