Best rain gear for back packing in for elk

landja

FNG
I am planning on backpacking in approximately 4-6 miles and need light weight rain gear that is durable. I am typically hard on my equipment. I am not interested in spending on rain gear for what I can by a nice rifle and night force scope, so price is important.
If anyone has any reasonable gear they recommend please let me know.
Thanks

I've run the Kings camo XKG windstorm rain jacket and pants on similar hunts to what you described works good at shedding rain and snow off for me and not really expensive for the quality of rain gear you get, they are a little more on the heavy side though.

Last edited:

Rawmeat

FNG
I tried the expensive hunting lightweight "breathable" rain gear. I no longer buy the idea of breathable rain gear, and there is a chance you won't even use it.

Sitting under my tarp one rainy day, I wondered why no one makes silnylon rain gear. Turns out they do, and that is what I will try this year. At 13 oz and $160 total for jacket and pants I won't have a problem leaving it in my pack year round. The most affordable and lightest waterproof rain gear I can find, besides a garbage bag poncho. Durability, I can't comment on.

https://antigravitygear.com/shop/product-category/ultralight-backpacking-rain-jacket-with-pit-zips/

I tried the expensive hunting lightweight "breathable" rain gear. I no longer buy the idea of breathable rain gear, and there is a chance you won't even use it.

Sitting under my tarp one rainy day, I wondered why no one makes silnylon rain gear. Turns out they do, and that is what I will try this year. At 13 oz and $160 total for jacket and pants I won't have a problem leaving it in my pack year round. The most affordable and lightest waterproof rain gear I can find, besides a garbage bag poncho. Durability, I can't comment on.

https://antigravitygear.com/shop/product-category/ultralight-backpacking-rain-jacket-with-pit-zips/

My experience with Silnylon is it allows water to run off as long as it’s not contacting another surface,like your skin or other clothing layers.

That said I’d be interested to hear how this turns out if you get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldnt pack rain gear, maybe a emergency poncho. I carry a nice Seek Outside DST tarp, if it gets wet I'm getting under to stay dry, prepare for a soaker in case it does. Building a shelter and gathering wood after being soaked is a bad idea. Otherwise the Kuiu Guide series jacket and pants repel enough wet conditions to allow me to continue to hunt without rain gear.

fishslap

WKR
Pick two:

High-Performance
Lightweight
Inexpensive

That said, there are quality options, but you won't get everything you want. The Outdoor Research Foray jacket is a pretty solid option for around $200.
I have a new with tags (detached) medium jacket in coyote that I’ve been meaning to post for sale if anyone’s looking. I bought a med and large and never returned the med. When I expect weather I bring the foray. No weather, I bring Cabelas space rain just in case.

Rawmeat

FNG
My experience with Silnylon is it allows water to run off as long as it’s not contacting another surface,like your skin or other clothing layers.

That said I’d be interested to hear how this turns out if you get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you saying it leaks? I wonder if that is just the feel of it on the skin or sweating. My silnylon tarps and tents get condensation, but they never leak.
I will have it my bag all year, hiking, fishing, etc. So if I get a chance to test it I will let you know. Hopefully I never need it.

Mike1187

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a fan of the Cabelas Space Rain for the price point and effectiveness...it’s light weight and it packs easy (own stuff sack). You can usually find a set for around $100 online or in the various forum classifieds.

OP
L

landja

FNG
Thanks to all of you guys for the input. It is nice to find the help!

Are you saying it leaks? I wonder if that is just the feel of it on the skin or sweating. My silnylon tarps and tents get condensation, but they never leak.
I will have it my bag all year, hiking, fishing, etc. So if I get a chance to test it I will let you know. Hopefully I never need it.
It's not a leak so much as limited permeation when touching another material on the opposite side. This varies quite a bit between thickness, quality of nylon, age, and any treatments applied.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I've hunted southern CO during September a half dozen times for elk. Each hunt was at least two weeks long. One time we had about three days of rain. On another trip it never rained, nor was there even a heavy dew. Most of the times it would rain once every 3-5 days, but typically only for 20 minutes. Brief storms are especially common in the high country.

I'll watch the weather and only pack in raingear if rain is in the forecast, which is unusual. Most of the time all I bring is a homemade poncho that weighs 5 oz. You can also find an army surplus poncho for cheap that weighs 13 oz and it will make an emergency shelter if needed.

Why would you want to carry around 2+ lbs of raingear that you'll hardly ever use? You're wasting $$$ too.

If you're hunting later than September then you may want to disregard my advice above.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've done a lot of rain gear testing, its been my experience that you get what you pay for in most cases, and while breathable can be a debatable term, I've had good luck with the higher end breathable fabrics.

If you are just packing it for the chance you might need it, then go cheap. If you plan to live it for the duration of your hunt you need to spend some money. If your life depends on staying dry, even more so.

Just my take and experience

Maybe I'm just cheap, but I run Frog Togg bottoms .
I've hunted southern CO during September a half dozen times for elk. Each hunt was at least two weeks long. One time we had about three days of rain. On another trip it never rained, nor was there even a heavy dew. Most of the times it would rain once every 3-5 days, but typically only for 20 minutes. Brief storms are especially common in the high country.

I'll watch the weather and only pack in raingear if rain is in the forecast, which is unusual. Most of the time all I bring is a homemade poncho that weighs 5 oz. You can also find an army surplus poncho for cheap that weighs 13 oz and it will make an emergency shelter if needed.

Why would you want to carry around 2+ lbs of raingear that you'll hardly ever use? You're wasting $$$ too.

If you're hunting later than September then you may want to disregard my advice above.

That's been very close to my experience as well. One time, on one hunt, it rained long enough that my buddy and I talked about putting up a tarp to get under. We were near 11K feet at the time. I always carry a 4 oz. tent footprint for a rain shelter or to lay meat on. By the time we could make up our minds whether we needed it or not, it stopped raining and we never got the tarp out.

I pack a pair of Frog Togg pants (they are incredibly light) in the bottom of my pack, but always have my orange lightweight rain jacket handy since it doubles as a wind layer for me. Only once did I put on the pants, and that was a day-long light shower during muzzleloader season in 74. After hunting/hiking for 5-6 hours in those pants, I was glad I had them but not sure I would take the time to do it again. Nothing was moving in the rain and I could have just as easily sat under a spruce tree and stayed nice and dry - which is something I've done routinely since. Spruce trees are great shelter for a 20 min shower.