Best rear bag for backpack hunts

WKR

WKR
I'm trying to decide of its worth bringing a bag for rear support or continue using a rolled up jacket, bino harness, or whatever I can get my hands on for my rear support.
I've been looking at getting a SAP lightweight bag but im thinking even that is kinda big and bulky to be carrying around.
What are some solutions? And are the bags worth it over the other examples I've been using.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have used puffy jacket, game bags, camp pillow, shirt in a ball, etc. I made some bags to replace them, but weigh next to nothing.

Lots of options, and depends on what you want. Be pleased if you looked at what we make.

The 2.5 Ultralight we make is 2.5 ounces and sized to be very versatile. It’s a very unique fill we use in this and the SSS bag.

The SSS bag is 7 ounces and works as a seat, sleeping pillow, and rear bag.

The Mini Waxed is another favorite. It is a more solid fill with Gitlite and is about 11 ounces.

There is a 10% off code until August 8 listed on the website.

Phoenix lightweight shooting bags is what I use, their small bag. I just clip it to my pack and its goes everywhere with me. IMG_0289.jpegIMG_0290.jpeg

I have used puffy jacket, game bags, camp pillow, shirt in a ball, etc. I made some bags to replace them, but weigh next to nothing.

Lots of options, and depends on what you want. Be pleased if you looked at what we make.

The 2.5 Ultralight we make is 2.5 ounces and sized to be very versatile. It’s a very unique fill we use in this and the SSS bag.

The SSS bag is 7 ounces and works as a seat, sleeping pillow, and rear bag.

The Mini Waxed is another favorite. It is a more solid fill with Gitlite and is about 11 ounces.

There is a 10% off code until August 8 listed on the website.

Is the fill in your 2.5 bag firm, or does it act like more of a squeeze bag? Interested either way.

ZAR EC

FNG
If it has to be light, then I use Tab Gear rear bag which is 2.6oz (it also makes a good pillow for naps during the heat of the day). My standard bag for places that aren't wet (I primarily hunt in Africa) is a DIY sewn beer can sized bag with rice as fill. It's about the best fill I've used that balances weight with shootability and it's still going strong after 5 years with a lot of use.

Lawnboi

WKR
Not a fan of those ultralight styrofoam bead filled bags. Had a bunch, I can make work of what I have on my person and do the same mediocre job.

As small and light as I go if I carry a bag, is a pint sized game changer with git lite fill. It’s 1lb but is actually usable for more than a half assed rear bag. Since I strapped it to my pack Iv used it for almost every big game animal Iv shot. E74CBF2F-DF2B-4E4F-AACB-68915573654C.jpeg

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Is the fill in your 2.5 bag firm, or does it act like more of a squeeze bag? Interested either way.
It has squishy beads. But these beads don’t compress down like typical bags of the same weight. And, they aren’t noisy like the polystyrene beads.

The Mini Waxed has hard beads that don’t compress.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
$120 😆
And 1.5 pounds?
Not gunna haul that around when everything else is half the price and weight

wapitibob

WKR
I have a real light rear bag and rarely use it. I use the LRO bag at the range but when hunting I always end up undoing a front buckle on the bino harness and muscling it around for a rear bag.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I've narrowed it down to either that SSS bag or the SAP run n gun. Anyone know which fill they use in the SAP run n gun?

Pint size game changer with light fill is the way to go. It’s an excellent rear bag but also has far more uses than just a rear bag since you can use it as a support to shoot off of rocks, logs, tree branches, gates, fences, or literally anything.

TaperPin

WKR
At least on the pack in, weight is at a premium - still I can imagine a rear bag could be useful for long range. Has anyone had good results filling a bag with pine needles? I’d be more agreeable to carrying a rear bag if the weight could be ditched at the end of the hunt.

I'll be buying a pint size Gamechanger with Git Lite fill for my hunting this season. It just has a lot more uses than a normal rear bag. I already used a full size Gamechanger for box stand hunting out east and know how useful the design is, even in a smaller form.

Last edited: