Best, reasonable priced rain gear

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some lightweight rain gear to keep in my pack for hunting the mountains here in Montana, but trying to be budget minded a bit. I don’t care if it’s camo, as long as it’s a neutral color. I just want to be able to stay dry if a storm moves in on me in the back country. What do you guys recommend? I’ve been thinking of even getting the Kifaru Wind River jacket and treating it with a DWR product.

Forget the Wind River jacket. If you need budget rain gear for sporadic use, take a look at Kings Camo. They're not garbage for occasional use sitting out a quick passing storm. There's much better stuff available at a much higher price but you can decide what you need based on your requirements.

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
I've actually been very happy with thr Kings Camp XKG set. It probably isn't the best rain gear in any one category but it is pretty darn good stuff for the money. Sat out a pretty good CO soaker and I honestly couldn't believe I wasn't wet at the end of it.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Marmot precip, outdoor research Apollo, Black Diamond stormline, depending on what is on sale you can get a set for $200 or less. I do like the Kings climatex pants as they’re full leg zip but the matching jacket is crap (cut boxy, doesn’t articulate).

Bump79

WKR

I've got this jacket. It's the best I've found for archery. Light enough, quiet enough, breathable and has pit zips. Seems waterproof for me so far and I've got quiet a bit of testing with it.

You can't beat it for this price.

Last edited:

auwardamn

FNG
I don't mean to be negative but in my experience rain gear just doesn't hold up worth a dang. I haven't found anything to be worth the money, and I've tried quiet a bit

P Carter

WKR
Outdoor research Helium is worth a look, as well. I don't see any particularly good sales at the moment, but I got mine under $100.

mcseal2

WKR
I use a Marmot Precip jacket for what you describe. It's not real durable but it's light and relatively inexpensive.

I go to Kuiu Kutana pants and a Chugach jacket for light plus durable. The pants take more abuse than the jacket, so I went Kutana there and I wanted a little more breathability on top so I went Chugach there.

If you just want to be able to wait out a storm, not do a lot of moving around during it you might consider a poncho. I carry one instead of rain gear quite a bit when I'm not expecting rain but want something. The OneTigris poncho is pretty light, works, and is around $35. I almost always have a tarp of some sort along, and somtimes it's this poncho.

matthewmt

WKR
Marmot precip is a solid piece, pit zips too. mine is 2 tone gray that I purchased here for 45ish. That and shop for a decent rain pant and I think you'd be good to go for what you described.
Additionally level 6 gtx mil surplus pants aren't light weight but theyre durable enough to bust brush and can be had for cheap in a lot of circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Frog toggs ultralight has been great to have in my pack for the occasional shower. Back in the low budget days I was stuck in it for most of a 4 day backpack trip where I ended up packing a buck 8 miles out in the rain. That particular set went in the trash but for $25 and 11oz it’s hard to beat. Fairly breathable and very waterproof, just not very durable if you plan on actually busting brush or hunting in the rain

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I have packed frog toggs for just in case for a long time. They will snag if walking through junk, but will keep you dry. I leave extra sets in all my rigs. I've even given them to people in a jam.

I gave up and got some expensive rain gear as I find myself wearing it close to half the time.

I've got this jacket. It's the best I've found for archery. Light enough, quiet enough, breathable and has pit zips. Seems waterproof for me so far and I've got quiet a bit of testing with it.

You can't beat it for this price.
I got the full set and I can attest. It's on outlet with additional sale right now. I got talladega but actually didn't need them surprisingly. The sleeves would have been long enough without tall sizing. Have used it 3 times now in the boat in full down pours and I'm impressed. Dry as can be and very quiet and comfortable. Top and bottom are coming with to elk hunt.

I also have a marmot precip. Not bad at all, but not nearly the same. Great for a quick rain and awesome as a light wind breaker. But not heavy duty rain gear by any means. I
I al

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking for some lightweight rain gear to keep in my pack for hunting the mountains here in Montana, but trying to be budget minded a bit. I don’t care if it’s camo, as long as it’s a neutral color. I just want to be able to stay dry if a storm moves in on me in the back country. What do you guys recommend? I’ve been thinking of even getting the Kifaru Wind River jacket and treating it with a DWR product.
Check out FORLOH's AllClima outerwear collection: Our AllClima™ Collection was designed for comfort and engineered with advanced technologies for your protection even in the harshest environments. Features like RECCO® Search & Rescue Technology and waterproof, breathable Airadigm™ ensures you won't want to wear anything else on your next adventure.