Best short barreled elk caliber

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been thinking about building an elk hunting gun that has something around an 18 inch threaded barrel for a suppressor. I already have an extra Tikka 300 Win Mag that I would like to start the build from. I can’t see myself shooting at anything beyond 6-700 yards. I was thinking about going with either a 7PRC or maybe a 280 AI. I also want to keep the bare gun down around 6 pounds if possible. I would just shorten the 300 , but that’s a lot of powder to burn in such a short barrel. Just thought I would post this and see what kind of other suggestions anyone might have.
Thanks

grfox92

WKR
I’ve been thinking about building an elk hunting gun that has something around an 18 inch threaded barrel for a suppressor. I already have an extra Tikka 300 Win Mag that I would like to start the build from. I can’t see myself shooting at anything beyond 6-700 yards. I was thinking about going with either a 7PRC or maybe a 280 AI. I also want to keep the bare gun down around 6 pounds if possible. I would just shorten the 300 , but that’s a lot of powder to burn in such a short barrel. Just thought I would post this and see what kind of other suggestions anyone might have.
Thanks
7 SAUM if you can find brass.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

TN2shot07

WKR
Why not just 300 wsm? The 7 prc would be fine if you’re wanting to step down

OP
Gadjet

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
Why not just 300 wsm? The 7 prc would be fine if you’re wanting to step down
I thought about that but wasn’t sure if I’m going to short on the barrel for that caliber.

TaperPin

WKR
What length are you going with?
I’m not shooting a can, but was thinking something short like 20”. With modern powders there must be some options that burn quickly yet produce good velocity, but the barrel was somewhat unexpected so I’m still sorting out where to start with bullets and powders.

z987k

WKR
Thanks
You're putting too many competing things against each other. 6-700 yards needs a good bit of velocity and a heavy high BC bullet. A short barrel reduces velocity. If you knock that down to 500 yards you can more realistically get it done with a 18in 6lb rifle.
That all said, the ultimate short barrel cartridge is 277 fury.