Best sleeping pads for a side sleeper?

What do you like for a sleeping pad if you sleep on your side? I’m a bigger guy so thicker the better I’m assuming. Not looking to spend $200-$300 either. Is there such a thing as a comfy pad under that price range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
I doubt it.
I use a thermarest inflatable air mattress with a thermarest selfinflatable on the bottom. if car camping it will be the 3 inch camprest with the air mattress on top. if it is below freezing I will reverse them and/or sometimes add a quarter inch closed cell foam pad on top.

I use an Xtherm as a side sleeper and haven’t noticed any negative issues. Looking around online you can find it around $150-175. It’s hard to beat for an R value of 5.7 and about 1# of weight.

OP
J
I use a Klymit Static V Insulated and can sleep on my side with it. They’re under $100 and I’ve really enjoyed mine.

What’s the coldest weather you’ve used it in? I’ve been thinking about purchasing this one in particular to try out because of the price.

What’s the coldest weather you’ve used it in? I’ve been thinking about purchasing this one in particular to try out because of the price.

I slept down to around 20 degrees and was fine with a 20 degree bag. I know there are warmer pads out there but it was the first insulated pad I’ve ever used and it was noticeably warmer than my old thermarest.

OP
J
Mainly going to be using it for mule deer in early fall in SD so it won’t be getting to cold. I just didn’t want to buy something that I would bottom out on sleeping on my side.

Mainly going to be using it for mule deer in early fall in SD so it won’t be getting to cold. I just didn’t want to buy something that I would bottom out on sleeping on my side.

When you sit on the Klymit you immediately bottom out and will feel like you’ve wasted your money but once you lay down it seems to keep you off the ground nicely.

KurtR

WKR

If your talking October 20 degrees at night is not out of the ordinary. I have the klymit and have used it down to 10 with a 0 degree bag and was warm.

Jim Flint

FNG
The Big Agnes Q-Core SLX has worked great for me, as well. I often sleep on my side. The insulative quality of the Q-Core is decent. I have over a hundred nights on it. It had a couple slow leaks show up this past fall. Dunking it in the lake to find the leaks and then patching them with the provided kit had it back to performing like new.

edit - It appears to cost $220ish for the Long Wide, though.

Last edited:

Baron85

WKR
I have been on the sleeping pad journey this year as well. I have the Nemo tensor alpine, sea to summit comfort plus, and the exped ul winter pad. All in long wide. I’m 6’5” 220# and all have been able to keep me off the ground sleeping on my side. I am still fiddling with pressures to get the most comfort, seems to be a fine line on all 3 to have enough pressure to keep me off the ground but not too much where the pad is too hard. I was really surprised with the sea to summit since it’s the thinnest, but I feel it is the most stable and most comfortable due to the waffle design and the 2 separate air chambers. You can blow the side closest to the ground hard then the side you lay on lower pressure for more comfort. The tensor is a close second. The exped just doesn’t feel as stable and I don’t care for the vertical ribs.

OP
J
I have been on the sleeping pad journey this year as well. I have the Nemo tensor alpine, sea to summit comfort plus, and the exped ul winter pad. All in long wide. I’m 6’5” 220# and all have been able to keep me off the ground sleeping on my side. I am still fiddling with pressures to get the most comfort, seems to be a fine line on all 3 to have enough pressure to keep me off the ground but not too much where the pad is too hard. I was really surprised with the sea to summit since it’s the thinnest, but I feel it is the most stable and most comfortable due to the waffle design and the 2 separate air chambers. You can blow the side closest to the ground hard then the side you lay on lower pressure for more comfort. The tensor is a close second. The exped just doesn’t feel as stable and I don’t care for the vertical ribs.

I’ve never really heard of sea to summit before you mentioned it. (Pretty big newbie here). Looking at it looks like it’s the real deal, thanks for the input!

Love my exped but the sea to summit comfort pad is $139 on their site right now. Camofire had Nemo tensors for about $100 the other day. You may give them a call.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
I run an XTHERM.

I’ve learned less pressure actually makes it more comfortable for side sleeping. I’m 6’ 5” 250 and it works for me. Not great but it’s the best I’ve ever used.

When I sleep on the ground, my Exped Winterlite serves me well as a side-sleeper. They are fairly expensive but can be found around $150. I'm sure the less warm versions are cheaper.

Completely agree with the above, less pressure is right. It will take some getting used to but you will learn what is right for you. I never fill my pad entirely; just enough to keep my hips and shoulders off the ground.

accumax

FNG
I agree with Baron85. I have 4 different sleep pads. I'm 6'4 250#'s, and I own a Therm-a-Rest Uber Lite, Therm-a-rest Trekker, Exped Downmat, and Sea to Summit comfort Plus. I'm a side sleeper too, and the Sea to Summit Comfort plus is by far the most comfortable pad I have. I really love the 600+(?) individual air pockets. you can put more weight on your hips and your head and feet don't lift up...no air mattress feel. It is also quite heavy though, at 35 ounces. I've just decided that a good nights sleep is crucial to my performance the next day...so I pack the extra pound. I'm an ounce counter but I really value a good nights sleep. I also find that it is super warm so I can have a slightly lighter sleeping bag to have a comfortable nights sleep. If its warm out like +40 degrees I'LL take the Uberlite its so light and quiet...just not warm enough for those freezing nights. I'm currently debating putting my Sea to summit comfort plus in my pack for my august goat hunt...just cause I sleep so well on it. My 2 cents.

I have these that I have used with my Enlightened Equipment quilt:
- NeoAir XLite - too thin, way too noisy.
- XTherm - same as its brother...
- Sea to Summit Comfort Light - really slippery, tough to get the air pressure just right, a little too thin for this side sleeper (6ft, 190lbs) but really comfortable and warm.
- Big Agnes Q-Core SLX - definitely the winner, forgiving, quiet, really comfortable, like sleeping on a warm cloud.