Best Spotting Scope under $500

Spotting Scopes
Can you get anything good for under $500 ??
If so , what make and model ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my 15-45x65 Athlon Ares I believe it’s under $500.

Check out Cameralandny for a great price.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and help figure out which would suit your intended use the best. If you've got a few minutes give us a call, 516-217-1000
Thanks

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
You can get something nice used for under 500 as long as you're not too picky on what brand you end up with. It isn't going to be a swaro but if you buy used you can sell for not much of a loss. I had notifications set up on ebay and checked classifieds here. Ended up grabbing a maven cs1 for 400 bucks. Do a bunch of research now on what youll be happy with so when it shows up you can jump on it

fmyth

WKR
This Vortex Razor is $750 but if you sign up for Sportmans CC you can get 15% off which makes it $637. You can also use your activejunky account link to purchase it and get 2% back ($12.74) so you are at $625. Don't think you'll find anything comparable for $500. I'd sell some plasma to get the extra $125.

bigmooi

FNG
This Vortex Razor is $750 but if you sign up for Sportmans CC you can get 15% off which makes it $637. You can also use your activejunky account link to purchase it and get 2% back ($12.74) so you are at $625. Don't think you'll find anything comparable for $500. I'd sell some plasma to get the extra $125.

Same scope I have been looking at for a few days, before this I was looking at demo Viper HDs for $699 it appears I already have an account with SW, so I cannot get a 10% off coupon that others have been talking about, or I am online shopping deficient... I think this is a better deal then the Viper HD for $699 demo, but I really do not know...

JNDEER

WKR
Best would be a used razor gen1
Also
If you can find a Bushnell ED60 field scope III.... it is soo close to being as good as the razor- main difference is the fine focus on the gen1.

fmyth

WKR
Same scope I have been looking at for a few days, before this I was looking at demo Viper HDs for $699 it appears I already have an account with SW, so I cannot get a 10% off coupon that others have been talking about, or I am online shopping deficient... I think this is a better deal then the Viper HD for $699 demo, but I really do not know...
If you join their mailing list(email must not be in their system) you get a 10% off coupon. If you open a credit card account with them you get a 15% off coupon. Cannot combine. You can buy discounted gift cards for Sportmans at raise.com and get 7% cash back plus the 2% from using the activejunky link.

bigmooi

FNG
If you join their mailing list(email must not be in their system) you get a 10% off coupon. If you open a credit card account with them you get a 15% off coupon. Cannot combine. You can buy discounted gift cards for Sportmans at raise.com and get 7% cash back plus the 2% from using the activejunky link.
Thanks for the info, I ended up calling their customer service line, it did take 3 calls and like 2hrs of my time to get a code, but they did send me one, I let them know I had never gotten a discount code and had been a member for a long time which they verified... I let them know that if only new customer's were getting the code then I could just not be a customer anymore...but it did work out in the end, got 10% off which covered taxes and then some... and I did not want to open a CC for just 1 purchase... Thanks for the GC info, maybe next time, but I always worry about buying GCs and trying to stack them...

OP
Buckshot51
Thanks for the input everybody. I ended up going with the ATHLON ARES G2 UHD 15-45X65 and couldn’t be happier the purchase. It came in @$600- and has amazing quality glass for that price . I’d always gone with Maven , Leupold , or Vortex . Never really looked into Athlon . The hype is real . The ARES is legit !

@Buckshot51 I realize you have only had it for like 8 months, but how have you like the Ares? I am looking at getting the same spotter and would love a "longer term" review.

FWIW, I am looking to mostly glass up Deer and Elk here in Utah and surrounding states, but don't need to see the 3-4 miles some people are looking for. Also looking to hike with it.

Blue72

WKR
Without a doubt the Nikon Ed50. It is well loved among hunters and birders for a reason. The optics are near alpha glass quality

you can get them new in box from Japan for under $500.

I suggest the fixed magnification eyepieces for the wider field of views

trust me you will fall in love with this scope

Without a doubt the Nikon Ed50. It is well loved among hunters and birders for a reason. The optics are near alpha glass quality

you can get them new in box from Japan for under $500.

I suggest the fixed magnification eyepieces for the wider field of views

trust me you will fall in love with this scope
How do you get one from Japan? I only see the $800 version on the US website.