Best State for Resident Hunting Opportunties

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
I’m recently divorced and live in TX. I work remotely so there’s not much keeping me at home here either. As a non-resident, I’ve made my own opinions on what states are best for NR hunting but something I’m trying to figure out is which state has the best hunting opportunities for residents. I’m curious which states y’all would live in purely for the outdoors / hunting there if you could. I lean toward elk and large game hunting since we have plenty of deer in Texas. Also why would be nice so I can look further into it.

JNDEER

WKR
CA.

Politics suck, prices suck, taxes suck, housing sucks.

We get two OTC deer tags and have access to thousands of acres of public land and wilderness areas. Pig hunting year round, decent turkey hunting and bear hunting. You can hunt deer from July-November and bear from august to December. Ocean fishing, lake fishing and high alpine fishing.

tdhanses

WKR
100% WY and it’ll only get better with time, otc hunting for trophy animals for residents and probably some of the best elk and deer hunting in the west.

Plus you’ll be surrounded by other decent states to hunt as a NR.

tdhanses

WKR
Man if I was in your shoes I would be in Alaska. Everything you can dream of big game wise on over the counter tags, even elk. Although elk may be a draw but you will run out of September's before things to hunt.
Only downside to AK is sometimes the costs to get where the hunting is.

Interesting, another thread on moving to the mountain west for hunting. I wonder if it would be better for the stingy states to not be so stingy?

In the lower 48 I personally think it is:
Wyoming
Idaho
Montana

Alaska and Wyoming are a tossup depending on what you want to hunt.

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done a lot of research in this because I’m going to retire from the military in a couple of year. My number one choice would Alaska but I would only do that for a like 10 years. The next would be Arizona tied with Wyoming. Idaho would be next followed Montana then Nevada and Utah. New Mexico would be number 1 but their taxes suck.

WKR

WKR
CA.

Politics suck, prices suck, taxes suck, housing sucks.

We get two OTC deer tags and have access to thousands of acres of public land and wilderness areas. Pig hunting year round, decent turkey hunting and bear hunting. You can hunt deer from July-November and bear from august to December. Ocean fishing, lake fishing and high alpine fishing.
You would have to have a screw loose if you moved to CA for the hunting

CJ19

WKR
Wyoming or alaska. No question. Wyoming residents are very welcoming.

Rhode island and Connecticut have some really good suburban squirrel hunting. I wouldnt discount that. Those state are known for producing some of the nicest bushy tails in the country.

Last edited:

BuzzH

WKR
Depends on how much variety and what you like to hunt most.

Wyoming has crap for bird hunting. If upland and waterfowl are important, Montana and Idaho absolutely crush Wyoming. We have a short sage grouse season, planted pheasants, and very average mountain grouse hunting.

Montana and Idaho have better bear hunting than Wyoming as well.

Montana has better whitetail hunting than Wyoming...and should have better elk and mule deer hunting if they would manage.

Mule deer at the top of your list, Colorado is a better bet than any other state.

Pronghorn a top priority, yeah, Wyoming by a landslide.

Throw fishing in the mix...that could change your choice as well.