Best Sub $350 Quilt (10*-20* range)

I went with forest green and grey interior.

Just an update: So El Coyote says 1 - 2 week lead times. My quilt shipped within 4 days and will be here this Thursday. Enlightened Equipment is running 2 - 3 months lead times. Katabatic is 6 - 8 weeks.

I cant wait to get my hands on this bad boy.

Adam

turley

Lil-Rokslider
That’s how it was with my El Coyote order. It’s impressive how quickly the turn around time is while maintaining the incredibly high quality of construction....

I will hold my final thoughts on the El Coyote until after a few trips to the mountains, but the quality is as good as anything I've seen including Western Mountaineering. Its a simple design that seems like it will be quit effective in the field.

Firehawk

WKR
I ordered a Hammock Gear Economy Burrow after reading this. I really wanted the El Coyote but I couldn't justify it at this point. I would likely have had a very similar reaction from my wife as another on here recently whose wife was less than enthused to send him a picture of his new quilt. ;o)

Can't wait to get it here and start putting it to use.

Played around with the quilt and my pad on the living room floor. Not sure I like dealing with the straps. I honestly still think I like the simplicity of a bag.

I may list the El Coyote for sale..

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I use the strap that connects my El Coyote quilt to the sleeping pad but just tuck the upper part of the quilt under me. I found this minimizes the fiddle factor many associate with quilts and makes entry and exit very easy. I too held onto using a traditional bag for years but am now converted to quilts.

Eiger

FNG
My El Coyote just got delivered. I ordered it on 4/22 and it shipped 4/27 so a lot quicker than the 1-2 week lead time they claimed. I will report back after I have a few nights in it.

Quick report out on my 20* El Coyote quilt, I finally got to spend a night out in it but the weatherman was WAY off. Had a fishing trip planned for the eastern Sierras and the forecast last week for Friday night/Saturday morning was a low of 28 and a high of 50, perfect for a test run. Thursday the forecast went up about 10 degrees, and the actual low Friday night/Saturday morning was 49 degrees (high of 82 with 30-40 mph winds)!

Needless to say I sweated my ass off and probably didn't even need the quilt :LOL: But I really liked the pad attachment system and think it will work well in the cold all sealed up.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
So give or take 6800 ft elevation?
I have a trip scheduled for the Fourth Recess Mono Pass area starting May 20th (Trailhead Elevation is roughly 10,000ft) and temperatures at night in that area are still in single digits.

nmpyro

FNG
So I think I am going to give a quilt a try. The weight isn't a big concern. I am a stomach sleeper and a very light sleeper. My last hunt I used a mountain hardware mummy bag, I stayed warm but just wasn't that comfortable. What do you all recommend?
EE Enigma 0* Uh-Mazing!!!!

I just purchased a quilt for $349 from El Coyote. 20 degrees custom order got to pick out the color. I went with a regular length and wide width. comes 30% overstuffed and based on specs and reviews I'm betting this bad boy will be true to its rating.
Nice choice...mine has become my favorite and do believe El Coyote quilts are very true if not conservative in their ratings. Color scheme?
I had a katabatic and sold it to get an el coyote and I’ve only used it one two nights so far but already the pad attachment system isn’t as good or maybe there’s a trick to it, I’m a side sleeper so I constantly had drafts open up, lastly I don’t like how the footbox cinches down all the no matter how tight you pull those cords it still has a tiny hole for airflow vs the katabatic was better in both those areas.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I seem to get really good closure on my El Coyote footbox (as good as any I've used outside of a sewn footbox). As far as the strap system I use the pad attachment strap which is adjustable and keep it fairly close to my body preventing drafts.....but simply tuck the torso portion of the quilt underneath me allowing for easy entry and exit. Overall I couldn't be happier with my El Coyote :)