Best UL 1 person tent

shaun

WKR
I use the BA Copper Spur UL1 when I'm not using bivy. Thinking about super tarping it this year though

OP
big10hunter
I've heard many say go with ul2 instead of ul1. Is the copper spur ul1 not enough room? The dimensions of the CS UL1 are nearly the same as the easton kilo. Is the ul1 enough for 1man and gear?

Last edited:

blb078

WKR
I've heard many say go with ul2 instead of ul1. Is the copper spur ul1 not enough room? The dimensions of the CS UL1 are nearly the same as the easton kilo. Is the ul1 enough for 1man and gear?

I don't use a CS, but I do have a FC UL2. CS and FC are very similar footprint dimensions and both are made of the same material. The CS has better poles for high winds and two entries(not that the FC can't handle high winds, there is a post from AK Troutbum on here w/his FC in 50+mph wind/rain in AK and I think the back of it flattened out on him some and he said it was more of an annoyance than anything but worked find). The UL1 for either will work for one person but w/your gear it will be tight unless you keep your gear in the vestibule. I went w/the UL2 cause of the extra room to put my gear inside and if my gf ever goes on a scouting trip or something she can sleep in there with me, which a gf or wife is the only person you'd want to be sharing a UL2 of either model with because it will be tight.

Last edited:

phil

FNG
I'm not going to set a cost, but it has to be light and durable 3 season tent. Too many options for me to sort out. What is tried and truly used by hardcore hunters?

I don't know how much you want to spend, but the Terra Nova Solar Photon 2 with Ruta Locura carbon fiber pole weighs 1 lb. 14 oz. Has room for you and your gear.

OP
big10hunter
I'm now looking at Hillenberg Akto. Anyone use one? Are they worth the price?

OP
big10hunter
This tent is mainly for sept/oct in colorado. Should I b looking at a 4season tent?

Jdog

WKR
I'm now looking at Hillenberg Akto. Anyone use one? Are they worth the price?

Hilleberg makes some great tents--I have spent plenty of nights in them from AK to CO.

The Atko is a solid tent...if you get heavy snow the ends will kinda cave in on you. Couple shakes and the snow is off.
Shot of the Atko in CO at 10K'--Nov deer hunt

Aug Elk hunt

Nallo GT3 in AK

CO in Jan

4 season tents are not always needed--I now use a Big Agnes Copper Spur on archery and some early rifle elk hunts b/c I can sit up in it pretty easily. But on AK sheep hunts, I do use Hillebergs.

Big Agnes Copper Spur in CO Oct Elk Hunt @ 11K'

Last edited:

Jdog

WKR
If you don't mind single wall shelters give the Kifaru tarps and tipis a look.

A wood stove is absolutely money on a late season backpack hunt.

I will own one here in the next year or so.

Last edited:

Jdog

WKR
Is tha copper spur UL1 or UL2?

Copper Spur 2...difference in weight from the 1 is minimal and gives me a lot more room for pulling my backpack, bow or rifle in the tent with me if needed.

Me and wife recently did an overnighter in CO. We had enough room and I am 6'8"

Rizzy

WKR
If your ready to try tarps, then I would also recommend the Supertarp/Annex/Stove combo for a 3 season shelter. It would be perfect for Sept./Oct. hunts.

Solitude

WKR
Big10Hunter,
I have used the CS1 for the last 4 seasons for strictly July-Sept archery elk, deer and antelope hunts.
I routinely place my pack and bow in the large vestibule and my boots in the small one off the back side at night.
Personally I have no desire to pick up a CS2 for increased space, but I am only 5'-9" tall and a bit of an UL guy.
I have slept with a Badlands 2200 pack in the CS1 tent with me on one occasion, just because I could and wanted to access items during the night.
As a general rule I do not get claustrophobic and have never needed to Waite out storms in my tent for 4 hours during daylight hours. If I routinely did then perhaps I would look into a Super or Mega tarp for more space and a "window to the world" to help pass the day.
The CS1 is a great tent that has served my needs well. In fact it's one of the only items I have not upgraded in the last 4-5 years.

chorpie

FNG
REI has the Marmot Pulsar 2 on sale now for $249. I just picked one up. It's about half the weight of my previous 3 season tent @ 3lbs. 5oz. It's definitely not as light as the tarp tents and some of the other options, but it's also way less expensive if you're not looking to spend a ton. They call it a two person tent but i think my wife and I will be cramped and we're average width people.

http://www.rei.com/product/845862/marmot-pulsar-2-tent

Rackmastr

WKR
I have a Hilleberg Akto that has served me really well in recent years. The majority of my trips are in Aug/Sept though and part of me is wondering about buying a Copper Spur UL2 and then would have room for my wife if she ever came along, or my daughter in the future.

Tough to say if I'd sell the Akto, but I guess the only thing holding me back is the use that I sometimes would use a tent in mid October up here in BC. While not 'winter camping', I'd want the Copper Spur to be up to the later season hunting as well.

Havent got myself 'comfortable' with floorless yet, but am thinking long term a tipi/stove would be the answer wtih a good bathtub floor/nest similar to Becca/Luke use.