Best Ultralight Action for 7PRC build?

Tahoe1305

WKR
My plan is a 18" Proof Sendero Light. I'd like to run an XLR (I like the ergos and folding stock) but may get a Stockys UL to try out.
I have a XLR mag folding stock as well. I will say you are gaining substantial weight (folder being biggest). Almost double the weight of the CF stockys options (if I recall mine with folder is 40oz with mag). With new LW hunter mags from Hawkins maybe it’s down to 37oz now (have those too but don’t think I weighed put together).

Last edited:
OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
I have a XLR mag folding stock as well. I will say you are gaining substantial weight (folder being biggest). Almost double the weight of the CF stockys options (if I recall mine with folder is 40oz with mag). With new LW hunter mags from Hawkins maybe it’s down to 37oz now (have those too but don’t think I weighed put together).
Hawkins mags don't work unfortunately.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Not sure what barrel length you’re looking at or what overall weight you’re trying to hit, but my buddy’s 18” Tikka 7mm-08 build came out to 5lb 13oz with a carbonsix sendero and a Stocky’s VG2. A 7prc would be virtually identical.
How's the cheek rest on that? I have such a hard time getting any kind of good cheek rest on non-adjustable stocks. I was planning on running an NXS 2.5-10X42 on the lowest rings on a rail, but may opt for Talleys or Sportsmatches for this build if that is too high.

TxLite

WKR
How's the cheek rest on that? I have such a hard time getting any kind of good cheek rest on non-adjustable stocks. I was planning on running an NXS 2.5-10X42 on the lowest rings on a rail, but may opt for Talleys or Sportsmatches for this build if that is too high.
I pulled my mesa off my 7prc and put the vg2 on there as well. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it but playing around with it I notice that the cheek weld is attainable but higher than I’m used to with the Mesa and low mounted 42mm objectives. Granted, I have a tenmile 3-18x50 in sportsmatch highs on mine. I think with a 42mm mounted low you will probably be ok. If not you can always add a cheek pad.

Dunky

WKR
I have been debating the same and put all the pieces on the scale
Pierce shadow short action, Hawkins m5 dbm and mag, bixn andy tacsport trigger, and Pierce scope base ( tiny plastic bag had the bases) 1 lb 15.1 oz . I think the factory tikka action with plastic bottom metal and mag is about 2 lb 2 oz So this set up only saves about 2 oz and i think you can shave some more weight off the tikka with titanium bolt handle etc , but gain if you use aftermarket, bottom, metal and magazines. The Pierce action feels pretty sweet but if your after strictly weight savings there is not much to gain.
I have a couple tikkas also.
eebd6d93a062d41b96f86d10424b75ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxLite

WKR
I have been debating the same and put all the pieces on the scale
Pierce shadow short action, Hawkins m5 dbm and mag, bixn andy tacsport trigger, and Pierce scope base ( tiny plastic bag had the bases) 1 lb 15.1 oz . I think the factory tikka action with plastic bottom metal and mag is about 2 lb 2 oz So this set up only saves about 2 oz and i think you can shave some more weight off the tikka with titanium bolt handle etc , but gain if you use aftermarket, bottom, metal and magazines. The Pierce action feels pretty sweet but if your after strictly weight savings there is not much to gain.
I have a couple tikkas also.
eebd6d93a062d41b96f86d10424b75ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your estimates are pretty much dead on with my SS Tikka action.

Attachments

• B48AE7EA-A809-4071-96F0-C12A16ECA1C4.jpeg
    B48AE7EA-A809-4071-96F0-C12A16ECA1C4.jpeg
    382 KB · Views: 102
  • 4AFC45FB-4FDA-4A05-9B04-1D6001FC2AA5.jpeg
    4AFC45FB-4FDA-4A05-9B04-1D6001FC2AA5.jpeg
    335.1 KB · Views: 99

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
About the Zermatt Ti3? It's listed at 24oz.

I really love their actions.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Your estimates are pretty much dead on with my SS Tikka action.
So if you milled out the action and bolt, plus swapped the bolt handle, it'd be less than the Pierce Ti overall. Those guys in Finland really know what they're doing.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I've used the anTi on a couple of builds. On the long action, I did a 280AI and it turned out really nice. Since you're planning on a chassis, the biggest issue I had with the anTi actions of needing a ring height high enough to allow the bolt handle to clear, shouldn't be an issue. Aside from the bolt handle/eye piece clearance, I really like the anTi. I haven't used the anTiX but I like the idea of integrated mounts. Current prices are noticeably different from when I build on them though.

I really like the option of pre-fits with the Defiance actions. That may or may not matter to you. I've used them on two Defiance builds and it's the easy route.

Were I doing it now, that 280AI would certainly be a 7 PRC. Were I looking to build a lightweight 7 PRC now...I probably wouldn't. I'd grab a Seekins Havak Element and start burning powder. ...but I understand you're wanting a build with chassis.

Sevens

WKR
Built my 7PRC using an anTi action (pre price increase). If I was building one now, would strongly consider the Nanook, but don’t feel like you can go wrong with any of the custom action brands you listed. Pick which one you like/has the features you want and build from there.

Attachments

• 4F18797F-47AC-44B3-B4E2-CFE9C9FD740C.jpeg
    4F18797F-47AC-44B3-B4E2-CFE9C9FD740C.jpeg
    808.9 KB · Views: 54

Tahoe1305

WKR
So if you milled out the action and bolt, plus swapped the bolt handle, it'd be less than the Pierce Ti overall. Those guys in Finland really know what they're doing.
For planning purposes the bolt handle (lightest variant from Mtn Gear) saves 1oz. And flutted bolt (wrought iron) saves .5oz.

Most agressive tikka milling I’ve seen is 4oz (with fluted bolt). So best case I’d assume you’re sitting at 5oz off standard tikka.

Conservatively call it 24oz without trigger. Pretty solid. Oh yeah and that’s a longish action too!

Edit: saw OP updated with some tikka estimates. Nice! Mine may be a tad more conservative.

Double edit: I think the Uber light tikka option combined with their plastic (but solid) BM won’t be beat for weight. It should be at least 4oz lighter than lightest steel option with BM.

Triple edit: lightest barrel option (assuming 5/8 for suppressor) would likely be a PBB tikka profile with flare. At 18” (based on tikka weight) I’m guessing 30oz. Lightest CF IMO is C6 featherweight. At 18” it should be somewhere around 36oz (my 20” is 38oz for ref). Uber light using your numbers with BM and thin barrel would be ~5lbs using a light weight stock (~23oz). Even with heavier folding XLR magnesium you’d be very close to 6lbs with mag.
(Too much whiskey and excited about gun builds ;). )

Last edited:

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
I built my rifle 7mm Rem Mag on a Defiance AnTi with a Proof Research pre-fit barrel. Couldn’t be happier with it. The only thing I didn’t like was the bolt handle, which I swapped for a hollow teardrop. The handle just barely clears the scope with the Leica 50mm objective mounted as low as it will go. Rifle weighs 8lbs, even with the 24” barrel and not-the-lightest optic in the world.
UeLQduY.jpg

I was pleased enough that I just picked up an AnTi short action on the $500 off sale that RedHawk Rifles is having. Should be here tomorrow. Plan for this one will be a 16.5” barrel .308 in a magnesium folding chassis, which should pair nicely as a rifle for instances when something more compact is desired.

Can we get an update on the build?

Also I don’t think anyone mentioned it but I believe Falkors new LW7 is the lightest steel action on the market at 19oz. Reviews and footage look like it’s one of the smoothest actions too. Heard great things. That’s the action I’ll be using for my 280ai and I’m trying to go ultra light on everything.

Of the choices mentioned I’d definitely go a bat. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bad review on any bat action.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Can we get an update on the build?

Also I don’t think anyone mentioned it but I believe Falkors new LW7 is the lightest steel action on the market at 19oz. Reviews and footage look like it’s one of the smoothest actions too. Heard great things. That’s the action I’ll be using for my 280ai and I’m trying to go ultra light on everything.

Of the choices mentioned I’d definitely go a bat. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bad review on any bat action.
This is it in its current form.
Tikka action
Lumleys bolt shroud and titanium bolt handle
18" Proof barrel cut threaded chambered and mounted by Karl Kampfeld
Action and steel on barrel cerakoted Tungsten by Karl as well
TBAC brake
Stockys VG stock with inlet Spartan Gunsmith Adapter and picatinny adapter
UM rings
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10X42 MIL scope
In its current configuration, it weighs exactly 7lbs 8oz without the suppressor and ammo.

I'm waiting for a Rokstok I've ordered. Once I get that, I'll take some more photos.

20231130_213254.jpg

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
To add to the above, I ultimately decided to go with Tikka instead of a BAT for a few reasons. Firstly, it's a whole lot cheaper. I have multiple Tikkas that I can swap in and out of my stock for practice in the same setup. That includes a 22lr, 6.5cm, 308, 6.5prc, this 7prc, and hopefully soon a 223. It makes it easy to use the same platform.

This thing shoots unbelievably well and it's had half a box thru it. Much less kick than I expected.